Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hughton for Ireland?

• 26-10-2007 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭

He's experienced, Irish, know the premiership inside out and not David O Leary! :D Why not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

He's been my number one for a long time and this would be a fantastic appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

What experience does he have apart from assistant at Spurs?

First team couch spurs reserves and U21

Assistant manager to Brian Kerr

Assistant manager to Martin Jol

But it's not just about experiences, it's who we can realistically get and who we can realistically afford to get.

He knows the setup pretty well, the players seem to really like him and have a lot of respect for him, he has a lot of experience working with young talented players.

I can't think of anyone better, that we can REALISTICALLY get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

ntlbell wrote: »

But it's not just about experiences, it's who we can realistically get and who we can realistically afford to get.

He knows the setup pretty well, the players seem to really like him and have a lot of respect for him, he has a lot of experience working with young talented players.

I thought I heard the manager would be getting a €1million salary, ok not huge money by international manager standards but not peanuts either. So if a good manager was interested in the challenge they might not necessarily balk at the salary and perhaps there is room for an increase if we landed some experienced well respected manager.

I wouldn't be aghast to Hughton becoming Manager in the future for the very reasons you mention but overall I really think an international manager should have had a few years experience of managing a top club side before taking on board managing an international side, let's learn the obvious lesson from what happened with Staunton and perhaps to a lesser extent Kerr... The international manager job should be regarded as one step further up from club manager imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I think he'd be good but I don't buy the argument that we can't afford a better manager.
    From what I am hearing the budget is around 6 million over 4 years for the next manager. This works out as 1.5 million a year. The current England manager (Steve McClaren) is on 2million a year so it's not that much of a gap.

I think he'd be a great number 2 for whoever gets the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

ntlbell wrote: »

He's got no experience as a manager? I'd be slightly worried by this. Surely whomever is appointed should have this much. Staunton had no experience either (although I don't doubt that Hughton would be better). The words 'learning' and 'curve' spring to mind. I think we can do better, and if we can't do better we should certainly be aiming higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

good coach doesnt equal good manager

Sammy Lee is the latest example, if Houghton was appointed and lost a few early games, then he would just be another staunton.

They need some old experienced manager who will give the hairdryer treatment if needed. Houghton comes across as too nice from the times I've seen him on tv. If the fans are puzzled at the new appointment, most of the players will feel the same. It would be great to get someone that all fans and players would be excited about. And nearly all the ppl mentioned so far are the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

no.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

good coach doesnt equal good manager

Sammy Lee is the latest example, if Houghton was appointed and lost a few early games, then he would just be another staunton.

Brian Kidd and Steve McClaren would be others I could think of in this boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Do you honestly think the FAI are going to bring in someone with no managerial experience after the last debacle?

Well this is the FAI so I wouldn't put it past them but it'd be the wrong move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Martin Jol with Chris Hughton as assistant has got to be the best choice available at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Jol will probably go to Ajax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Jol will probably go to Ajax

Is Van Basten not lined up to start after Euro 2008 as Ajax boss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

We can't afford to take another chance with someone who has no experience as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

maybe with Jol as a long term view to take over.

Anyone who thinks we could get martin jol is delusional.

We're going to get one of two things.

A has been with a ton of experience but is so long out of the game he'll be taken the job to put his feet up and relax for two years (Ron Atkinson,George Graham type)

Or someone with a small amount of experience in maybe the championship.

So if that's all the choices we have then someone like Chris is perfect, I think the players would question DOL a lot more than someone like Chris.

Chris isn't the ideal man for the job, but from the choices that we have, out of the people that would actually take the job and work under the FAI Chris would be the man for the job IMO.

We don't need a top manager, we need someone who can communicate with a group of young players, who is hungry, who has had very good foundations for such a position, and with his exp at spurs and assistant manager to kerr at Ireland for two years this perfection in my eyes.

Disclosure (I'm not a spurs fan)

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Being a Spurs fan I have to say I wouldn't want Hughton in there on his own, it might work with Jol and Hughton as his number two, but I think Chris is probably happy in his number 2 role ok his got all of his coaching badges, if he wanted to take the step up then I suggest he takes a 1st or 2nd division team first and see how he gets on. Also you have to remember the FAI didn't ask him to stay on in a caretaker roll when they pumped Kerr, so why should they go back in for him now?

Being a Spurs fan I have to say I wouldn't want Hughton in there on his own, it might work with Jol and Hughton as his number two, but I think Chris is probably happy in his number 2 role ok his got all of his coaching badges, if he wanted to take the step up then I suggest he takes a 1st or 2nd division team first and see how he gets on. Also you have to remember the FAI didn't ask him to stay on in a caretaker roll when they pumped Kerr, so why should they go back in for him now?

If you asked me would I want Martin Jol and chris or chris on his own of course I would want Martin, but I was trying to keep the thread as realistic as possible :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Yea well, we were thinking about Alex, but he's a tad busy ye know...with a real team of players..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ah yeah but that would presuppose that the FAI know what they are doing.

Sir.

That's just crazy talk.

Advertisement