Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renewing Driving Licence

Options
  • 26-10-2007 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

My driving license expires in a few weeks, so I better apply for a renewal now. With all the provisional drivers scrambling to get things in order over the next while my timing couldn't be worse!

I see you now need a Medical Report completed by a doctor. When was this introduced ?
    Another €50 for the doc :eek: - suppose I better get him to do a prostate exam or something while I'm there to make him earn his money !!

I have to send in my current driving license with this renewal application - they are taking around 3 weeks to process them at the moment (Kildare Co. Co.), so what happens when the gardai ask me to show my driving license over the intervening period ?

My current license is in tatters - anyone know when they might introduce a credit-card sized license like most other countries ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Unless its changed, the doctors report is only needed if your over a certain age group.. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Sully - you are right - just double-checked here

You will need a completed medical report form if you are applying for a driving licence for categories C1, C, D1, D, EC1, EC, ED1 or ED. You do not need this if you have previously provided a medical report, which is still applicable. A medical report is compulsory for any category if you will be 70 years of age or more on the first day of the period for which the licence is being issued, suffer from any of the disabilities or diseases listed on the D.401 form, suffer from epilepsy or alcoholism or regularly take drugs or medication that are likely to impair your ability to drive safely. A registered practitioner should carry out your medical examination and then complete the form. You must sign the Declaration on the medical report form in the presence of the registered medical practitioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

scargill wrote: »
    A medical report is compulsory for any category if suffer alcoholism [/I]

That's half the country and the guys in the BGRH forum.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

lol. that's so true, but they get away with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Oh and to answer your other question..

When you apply for a full license (renewal or watever) they will give you a piece of paper which is like a "Receipt" to confirm you ordered a new license on X date. Should do the trick. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I kept a photocopy of my old license with me while I was waiting for the new one to be issued. Better than nothing.

Advertisement