Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FTP For Symbian the search is over!

• 26-10-2007 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

If you, like me, have been wondering about the lack of an FTP client for Symbian then wonder no longer - there is one and even better than that - it's free.

http://www.symbian-freeware.com/get-sic-ftp-client.html

Now I'm starting to believe Nokia's assertion that my phone IS a computer :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I actually installed this program this week, and it doesn't work, I'm on X-Series with Three using a Nokia E61.... Bluefrog, Is it working for you over three?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Yup, working for me - I uploaded an image file via Three, downloaded an image file also via Three - both operations went fine - much to my amazement :D

Wouldn't have posted here without testing.

Also on X-Series. One thing I did notice is that when you upload or download a file you have to manually refresh the directory to see the new file.

What part of Glasnevin are you in? I'm near the Ballygawl road and the coverage isn't stellar for 3G - need to go upstairs or outside to get more than a couple of bars.

How are your other X-Series and third party apps behaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Can you please describe some practical uses for this piece of software? I have an e61 and I often download files using the inbuilt software on the e61 so why would I or anyone need this. Thanks.

Ok, so it's not the most useful application for a phone. I merely started this thread as I had been curious about the lack of such software up until now given the existence of apps like PUTTY and even phone based web server software.

I guess the most conceivable use would be if one had a need to share some content on their phone with others via an FTP server but I grant you that occasions where this would be the best option of sharing are ehem, pretty limited.

I'm a geek OK, I've said it - now stop your ruthless interrogation! I get a kick out of anything that extends the functionality of my phone - it's 'my precious'.

*Scuttles back to digital swamp muttering...*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Have you been able to get the putty app to work. I installed it on my N95. It runs but never seems to connect to my machine via ssh over WiFi

• Advertisement

I have it working on my local network. However, on my N80 when I am entering the host IP I can't actually see what I am typing when entering the IP which is a bit odd. I can however see the text in the console and that's the important thing I guess.

It's usable in a pinch I guess.

Can you connect to your hosts using the desktop putty client?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Yeah, the SSH installation is fine and I can connect to it from PC's. I haven't done any real troubleshooting on the issue as of yet

All communication was over a LAN. The thing I think might be affecting it is I'm using a non standard port.

It's another app with limited necessity for use from a phone but could be a lifesaver now and again.

There's also a very nice VNC version for Symbian out there now - I've done Windows updates on a remote server using it over 3G.

Now if only I could find an app that would fast forward Mondays....

Advertisement