Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Mobile phone service launch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭wba88

wow they only think they will get 5% in four years, cheap calls cross network though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Hoping for 5% of the market in 4 years, good luck to them I say, hope they have better luck than 3.................what do they have now? something like 3% of the market? Well done chaps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meh, nothing special there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

So what so good about their offer? Same plan as Meteor without the same market share

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

What's different?

Clubcard points with double points for topping up at tesco :D

But beside that, let's see if they offer roaming and what the cost is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

the biggest difference is unlimited calls and txts to all other tesco mobile numbers, where as other networks offer free calls to one number as with meteor, and some give limited txt deals, personally i think this is a very good looking deal, it should (hopefully) shake up the market a little.

voyager :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

wba88 wrote: »
    wow they only think they will get 5% in four years, cheap calls cross network though

Meteor - Landline (ROI) 20c
    Meteor - other networks (ROI) 20c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

voyager wrote: »
    the biggest difference is unlimited calls and txts to all other tesco mobile numbers, where as other networks offer free calls to one number as with meteor, and some give limited txt deals, personally i think this is a very good looking deal, it should (hopefully) shake up the market a little.

That's all well and good but those offers are worthless with a tiny market share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They're gonna get customers if only for the 089 prefix. I'll be one of them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Impulse buying, thats how they'll get them, just like the sweeties at the checkout.
    Probably offer a box of chocolates if you buy a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

1huge1 wrote: »
    Impulse buying, thats how they'll get them, just like the sweeties at the checkout.
    Probably offer a box of chocolates if you buy a phone.
    A phone is for life, not just for ... err ... oh ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Meteor was the first company to give you free texts for life offer... they also have the free calls to meteor phones for life now as well...

Definitely I'll look at what they're offering but for now I'm content with Meteor's service (if not their range of phones :) )

hi Thirdfox, i agree with you about meteor, i am a meteor customer myself as are all the 5 members of my family and most of my friends BUT each of us can only nominate ONE number to use as a free call number, where as with tesco`s offer if we all signed up to their deal ALL of us would get free calls to each other as tesco mobile customers based on the package we pick, i still think its a great offer and it should spark some reaction from other mobile companies as to giving us as consumers better offers to stay loyal to their franchise.

More (any) competition is always a healthy thing to introduce to any market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The prepay service will charge EUR0.20 to any network at any time with all text messages costing EUR0.09

Special bundles will also be available to offer discounts for customers. The In Touch 10 and In Touch 30 bundles will offer unlimited calls, texts and picture messages to other Tesco Mobile customers. These bundles cover periods of 10 and 30 days respectively and cost EUR4.99 and EUR11.99

not such a hot deal at these prices unless people can convince all their friends and family to switch

hi foggy_lad, agreed to some extent, in my case it would be well worth it if all the family changed over, you also have to remember that you also save on charged calls, 20c per min as compared to 25c with meteor, also charged text messages both sms and mms are only 9c.
    I stand by my first impressions of this offer and say i think its very positive indeed, as with different deals offered on each network it will suit some and not others, but i think it smells very sweet indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

sure whatever happens meteor and vodafone will come up with some kinda deal to stop people switching just like vodafone did when meteor arrived

Hi injured365, agreed, that`s why i say its a win/ win situation whenever more competition comes into the market place, other operators will have to respond to this new network offer, no matter what market share they are aiming at, they will not want to lose customers already won over from other networks with past deals.

hi foggy_lad, agreed to some extent, in my case it would be well worth it if all the family changed over, you also have to remember that you also save on charged calls, 20c per min as compared to 25c with meteor, also charged text messages both sms and mms are only 9c.
    I stand by my first impressions of this offer and say i think its very positive indeed, as with different deals offered on each network it will suit some and not others, but i think it smells very sweet indeed.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Meteor - Landline (ROI) 20c
    Meteor - other networks (ROI) 20c

three offer 5cent text and mms and 18cent voice and video calls to three and landlines only charging 35cent to other mobile networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

This is going to fail miserable, I say this as I sit here in my Tesco uniform, ha ha.

If theres staff benefits towards it, I will switch

now now, exiot, think positively and i am sure it will be alright , even with a miserable tesco uniform on :D

• Advertisement

well good luck to tesco mobile and hopefully they will have some decent handsets although they will most likely not have video-calling

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

foggy_lad wrote: »
    well good luck to tesco mobile and hopefully they will have some decent handsets although they will most likely not have video-calling

I think it's 2g only services, that would rule out video calling.

Again i agree with you foggy_lad, but most people i believe want call and txt services more that any other, and at a good price, i hope it goes well for them, hopefully there will be an option to buy a sim card for those people with existing unlocked phones, and also some good free credit deals with new phones and for migrating customers who change over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Again i agree with you foggy_lad, but most people i believe want call and txt services more that any other, and at a good price, i hope it goes well for them, hopefully there will be an option to buy a sim card for those people with existing unlocked phones, and also some good free credit deals with new phones and for migrating customers who change over.

I didnt see any mention of Data charges - Anyone heard/seen anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I didnt see any mention of Data charges - Anyone heard/seen anything?

Yep, not sure if I should divulge prices (at least until launch) but there will be two data bundles available, one for 24hrs and one for 7 days.

I'm working for the new network and have to say it does have its plus points. Any new network starting out is going to be trying to find its feet, with whatever offers they put forward, but Tesco seem to just want to make things simple and easy-to-understand. It means they'll probably get an older market share to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

But beside that, let's see if they offer roaming and what the cost is.

They will have roaming, but again I'm afraid I cant mention costs just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Yep, not sure if I should divulge prices (at least until launch) but there will be two data bundles available, one for 24hrs and one for 7 days.

Alright.. will they be competitive towards three's 5.99 100 mb addon per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

... and what handsets are they offering?

i want options same as most other people and tesco making decisions about what customers can and cant access would be a mistake of porportions only seen with one other network in ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I doubt they will win market share by offering a near identical price plan already being offered by Meteor. What's regardless of which network they piggyback on consumers are going to have a hard time trusting their local supermarket to provide their mobile phone service.

Advertisement