Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Mobile phone service launch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

Slice, the price plan might be near identical, but free calls and txts to every other tesco number is a big bonus especially if like me you have a large family the savings would be significant, also i found this link to their UK. site, the phones are not great but on the other hand they are not crap either, dont know if the Irish site will carry the same phones though.

http://www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/shop/?page=payg

voyager :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

flodis79 wrote: »
    Alright.. will they be competitive towards three's 5.99 100 mb addon per month?

Er... no. The handset range isnt huge, think its 14 to start with. Six Nokia, one Sony Ericsson, and the rest are Samsung and Motorola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Er... no. The handset range isnt huge, think its 14 to start with. Six Nokia, one Sony Ericsson, and the rest are Samsung and Motorola.

Thank you for this information! Will we be able to buy sim only, or do you only sell them together with phones? Will the Dundrum store be one of the stores selling Tesco Mobile? Can we choose our own number, ie is there a chance to get an easy number now in connection with the launch? Will voicemail be free? Will the customer care be Tesco's own or will call be routed to o2's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Nokia 2630?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thank you for this information! Will we be able to buy sim only, or do you only sell them together with phones? Will the Dundrum store be one of the stores selling Tesco Mobile? Can we choose our own number, ie is there a chance to get an easy number now in connection with the launch? Will voicemail be free? Will the customer care be Tesco's own or will call be routed to o2's?
    Following on from this .. is it a call centre on Mars nearby the 3 one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    three offer 5cent text and mms and 18cent voice and video calls to three and landlines only charging 35cent to other mobile networks.

Well its good to note thats its 5c text/mms to any network

As for the call centre I'd assume the UK which im sure everybody would be fine with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dont assume uk call centres as my sister in law has told me she left tesco mobile in uk cos of poor customer care but she also said she misses the cheap rates.

Call centre is in Clontarf lads, will address the rest of the q's later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Will the website go live on the same day as they go live in the stores? Will they have webtexts, online call history, online topups, other online services?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Clontarf eh, all the better then. I've no interest in joining tesco as im sure they'll be geared towards the lower end of the market but competition is always good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Call centre is in Clontarf lads, will address the rest of the q's later.

Is that the call centre in Clontarf that works for loads of different companies?

Thank you for this information! Will we be able to buy sim only, or do you only sell them together with phones?

Sim only is available
    Will the Dundrum store be one of the stores selling Tesco Mobile?

Not sure off the top of my head but can find out.
    Can we choose our own number, ie is there a chance to get an easy number now in connection with the launch?

I doubt it, would assume you can't do it online and I'm not too sure about the shops.
    Will voicemail be free?

No, but again I can't tell the price just yet.
    Will the customer care be Tesco's own or will call be routed to o2's?

Very much Tesco's own.
    Stevek101 wrote: »
    Nokia 2630?

I know the 2626 is available but can't remember if the 2630 is.
    As for the call centre I'd assume the UK which im sure everybody would be fine with.
    ciaranfo wrote: »
    Following on from this .. is it a call centre on Mars nearby the 3 one?

Nope, Dublin 3.
    1huge1 wrote: »
    Well its good to note thats its 5c text/mms to any network

It's not 5c a text, its 9c. MMS are charged at a different rate.
    ciaranfo wrote: »
    Will the website go live on the same day as they go live in the stores?

Thats the plan yeah.
    Will they have webtexts, online call history, online topups, other online services?

Webtexts - No
    Call History - Yes
    Top-Ups - Not yet, though you can register a credit card and top up through the phone menu.
    Other Online Services - There will be a few.

I'm sure the website will grow as time goes on.
    Is that the call centre in Clontarf that works for loads of different companies?

Yes, but there is a dedicated team of Tesco CSR's, so you won't get somebody from another part of the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Yeah porting should be available from the first day, I haven't been told otherwise but I don't want to say anything conclusively in case I'm wrong. Almost positive the Sony Ericsson is the W200, but don't quote me on that. I know its the one (or one of the ones?) with the Music DJ application on it.

Bundles will be available from Day 1 and I'm not sure about how permanent they are but I'm imagining that barring the fact they are a complete "miss" they will be there for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure there are a few other things worth mentioning but I'm not sure how much detail I'm allowed to go into before the launch. Plus, I don't like bringing work home with me, least of all on a bank holiday weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting ... the Tesco tarrifs represent huge saving and real competition for O2/Voda customers esp for those that did not want to switch to meteor network.

For meteor customers it does not seem worth the switch if they are charging to access your own voicemail, there are no free webtexts, you lose your free meteor to meteor text messages and it seems doubtful that you will get the same pre paid roaming in 130 countries.

Having said the unlimited texts and calls bundles may attract large group migrations from meteor.

Will be interesting to see how the other networks react to the Tesco bundles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Fungus wrote: »
    For meteor customers it does not seem worth the switch if they are charging to access your own voicemail, there are no free webtexts, you lose your free meteor to meteor text messages and it seems doubtful that you will get the same pre paid roaming in 130 countries.

Roaming in 130 countries? Thought it was only a handful with auto roaming and then maybe 50 more when depositing €60 before the trip?

Interesting ... the Tesco tarrifs represent huge saving and real competition for O2/Voda customers esp for those that did not want to switch to meteor network.

Having said the unlimited texts and calls bundles may attract large group migrations from meteor.

Will be interesting to see how the other networks react to the Tesco bundles.

there is no unlimited text or calls! there is bundles of text and calls to other tesco numbers lasting either 7 or 30 days meaning that meteor are still way ahead as they do not charge 11.99 for a months calls or texts which will probably also have fair use policies!

also vodafone voicemail is free unless they have changed it recently?
    and for people not wanting to switch from o2 to meteor they are obviously happier with higher call and text costs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Slice, the price plan might be near identical, but free calls and txts to every other tesco number is a big bonus especially if like me you have a large family the savings would be significant

Free on-network texts and calls wount count for much while there's no one on the network. They'll need market share before this becomes a selling point and they're not going to get anywhere with market share by offering an otherwise identical price plan to their competitor while at the same time having to escalate every network issue to O2.

Much like Tesco's financial product offerings this isn't going to set the market on fire and is probably just intended to compliment their strength in their supermarket business. In the same way most people wouldn't trust their mechanic to babysit their kids most people wouldn't trust their supermarket to insure their car or provide their mobile phone service.

It's still a shame though that they haven't come up with anything a little more interesting in terms of their price plans in the interest of competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Roaming in 130 countries? Thought it was only a handful with auto roaming and then maybe 50 more when depositing €60 before the trip?

You can roam in 133 countries on 237 networks with Meteor pre-paid (60 EUR top up required for all countries except all EU countries and the USA). My mate just came back from Africa and Meteor pre paid worked in every country that he was in. This would not have been the case with O2, Voda or 3 pre-paid.
    also vodafone voicemail is free unless they have changed it recently?

Vodafone voice is free yes unlike O2 or apparently Tesco.
    there is no unlimited text or calls!

According to the SB Post the Tesco bundles are unlimited.
    http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=27772-qqqx=1.asp
    Much like Tesco's financial product offerings this isn't going to set the market on fire

I agree that that the tariffs are unlikely to set the pre-paid market on fire and their target of 5% market share seems unlikely to be meet with the current market tariffs .... but some users will like the unlimited call package and Tesco may modify their tariff range like they have done in the UK.

• Advertisement

There is a fair-usage policy but I can't see anyone ever going over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wiggum

Slice wrote: »
    It's still a shame though that they haven't come up with anything a little more interesting in terms of their price plans in the interest of competition

Yeah ... lets compare it with the best value PAYG package on the market - Meteor Anytime Plus

1. Calls to mobiles (24/7) - 20 cent (meteor) versus 20 cent (Tesco)
    2. Calls to landlines (24/7) - 20 cent (meteor) versus 20 cent (Tesco)
    3. Text messages - 9 cent (meteor) versus 9 cent (Tesco)
    4. International Texts - 15 cent (meteor) versus unknown (Tesco)
    5. Web Texts - 300 free a month (meteor) versus zero webtexts (Tesco)
    6. Voicemail - Free (meteor) versus unknown charges for your voicemail (Tesco)
    7. EU Roaming - EU maximum caped prices plus 20c in the UK (meteor) versus unknown (Tesco)
    8. Non EU roaming - 133 countries but at high prices versus unknown price and countries (Tesco)
    9. Add ons - Free texts for 30 days (meteor) versus pay for unlimited texts and calls (Tesco)

A lot of the unknown blanks above will be filled in tomorrow but with Meteor offering a much better free text offer, worldwide roaming and free voicemail I can't see many people moving from Meteor.

We should wait till everything is known tomorrow but me thinks Tesco are targeting the ignorant shopper with a very average offering ... seems so. :mad:

tesco calls and texts may be unlimited as in you can send thousands but they only last for 30 days same as meteor and are not free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

guys look !, i am a meteor customer and a very happy one at that, its the best of the bunch so far as regards mobile deals, BUT on the deal i have i can only select one number as call a friend for free, the wife is the same that costs €40 per month for the 2 of us, my sons and daughter are in the same boat in a family of 5 thats an outlay of €100 euro monthly to hold that particular deal and as i say free only to one selected number. Also all other calls are 25c per minute on this deal.

With tesco`s new offer, if we all decided to take it up would cost us just over €60 per month and we would have free calls and txts to each other or any friends on the deal 24/7 and a cheap rate to other numbers at 20c per minute and 9c txts. I still think its a good looking deal and depending what else is yet to be disclosed i for one will seriously consider changing over.

voyager :cool:

no ads for tesco mobile in sunday papers i read but maybe they not kicking off till tomorrow or after halloween?

thought i seen in a sunday post link somewhere that it was expected in mid november? was in tesco in carlow friday and no sign of any new displays or any attempt to organise the poor phone section.

• Advertisement

well as already said any further competition is always favourable so best of luck to them although it could be 2-3years before they get a decent chunk of the market probably around 2%?

Advertisement