Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Mobile phone service launch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

it is launching today. I was in tesco in manor west, Tralee yesterday and they already had the handsets on display. Its in the normal phone display secion. With the same screw bolted thru the middle of the handset :/
    Im going to buy a simpack in the tesco Mahon point store today. On the back of the brochure I got, there was a list of stores that will carry the full range of handsets. There is even an option to have tesco text you when other phones become available. Dissappointed the site is still not up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Dmn: does the leaflet say what tesco stores in dublin will sell tesco mobile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dmn wrote: »
    it is launching today. I was in tesco in manor west, Tralee yesterday and they already had the handsets on display. Its in the normal phone display secion. With the same screw bolted thru the middle of the handset :/
    Im going to buy a simpack in the tesco Mahon point store today. On the back of the brochure I got, there was a list of stores that will carry the full range of handsets. There is even an option to have tesco text you when other phones become available. Dissappointed the site is still not up though.

is carlow one of the stores? maybe you could list the stores from the leaflet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

they have about 8 mobiles on display in tesco clare hall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

hi guys, back again, heres a link to the site, but as of now its just showing the ,
    COMING SOON message.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/

voyager :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do they have a
    A Top-Up and Go service
    and then you can choose to have a
    In Touch 10 -10 days €4.99
    In Touch 30 -30 days €11.99
    (free calls & voicemail & texts to Tesco Moblile numbers)
    at any point?
    No signing-up or other commitments?

Their instore leaflet isn't very clear!

Anyway 20c/minute to all networks and landlines and 9c texts to all networks anytime is quite good!

I like the offer of €20 free credit when you use your new 089 number and send in an(y) old SIM card..

Been around in Dundrum and Stillorgan today, both of which didn't have them in (yet)... Been calling around, and it seems like Tallaght and Clarehall have them in already, but you have to buy a phone together with the sim card.

Would be interesting to hear if someone has been able to buy phone+sim or sim-only somewhere yet, and their first impressions.. :)

snubbleste wrote: »
    I like the offer of €20 free credit when you use your new 089 number and send in an(y) old SIM card..

That's great! What store did you find the phones/sim cards in?
    Did it say anything about the data bundles that Mr. Joe Soap mentioned earlier?

There were 9 phones on offer in Galway, but no SIM cards(don't know how much one costs)
    Phones ranged from €29.99 (Motorola F3) to €149.99(Motorola W510) with free credit

No mention of data bundles, roaming or anything like that on the display or in leaflets

There were 9 phones on offer in Galway, but no SIM cards(don't know how much one costs)
    Phones ranged from €29.99 (Motorola F3) to €149.99(Motorola W510) with free credit

No mention of data bundles, roaming or anything like that on the display or in leaflets

Free credit = €20 if you send in an old sim? How much if you don't send in a sim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Pretty sure the stuff will hit the newspapers later in the week guys.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Pretty sure the stuff will hit the newspapers later in the week guys.

:D Come on, would you mind clarifying on the data bundle bit? Thanks alot.... Sorry to drag you into work on a Bank Hol... :rolleyes:

flodis79 wrote: »
    Free credit = €20 if you send in an old sim? How much if you don't send in a sim?

That €20 offer is a bonus really.

It depends on the price of the phone
    ranging from
    "Up to €45" for the €29.99 phone
    "Up to €125" for the €149.99 phone"

I'm guessing it's X amount upfront, X amount for registering online etc.
    The information is very vague, guess we'll have to wait a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Do they have a
    A Top-Up and Go service
    and then you can choose to have a
    In Touch 10 -10 days €4.99
    In Touch 30 -30 days €11.99
    (free calls & voicemail & texts to Tesco Moblile numbers)
    at any point?
    No signing-up or other commitments?

Their instore leaflet isn't very clear!

Anyway 20c/minute to all networks and landlines and 9c texts to all networks anytime is quite good!

This seems to be the case as far as i can see from their leaflets,as it states:

"All you have to do is send a text to our bundle purchase line and we'll deduct the cost of your bundle from your credit balance. Once you've received our confirmation text you're ready to start saving.
    There's no recurring commitment or minimum top up requirement.
    When your bundle expires, just buy another one in the same way."

Carrick-on-Shannon branch has the phones in stock. I didnt have time to take a proper look so i can't be certain which ones they had though.
    Going by the leaflet, there's supposed to be 9 phones out now and another 5 "coming soon".

flodis79 wrote: »
    :D Come on, would you mind clarifying on the data bundle bit? Thanks alot.... Sorry to drag you into work on a Bank Hol... :rolleyes:

All I'll say is it's similar to Vodafone's pricing but the allowance isn't anywhere near as high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What phone is €29 ?

motorola f3 29.99

chasm wrote: »
    motorola f3 29.99
    That's a phone spec I've not seen in a long time - http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_motofone_f3-1794.php

Will definitly attract the likes of my mother who just wants a basic phone that does nothing else, not even by accident. Shame it's a Motorola though.

ciaranfo i was just on that site myself checking the spec of all the phones that tesco are offering!
    Im not too fond of motorola either-had nothing but problems with them (though my brother has always had motorola and never had a single problem with them, suppose thats the luck of the draw!)
    Tesco have a couple of other basic NON-motorola models- Nokia 1200 for E39.99 and the Nokia 2626 E49.99.(with up to E45 free credit)

I'd definitely try the F3 before you buy it, some people love it but plenty don't.

• Advertisement

I'm not buying it. I hate Motorolas and wouldn't inflict them on anybody (that I like .. ).

The 1200 looks like a nice basic 6030 replacement but it appears to have the new ****e Nokia cheap screen.

sorry just realised the nokia 2626 isnt available yet.
    For anyone who is interested but doesnt live near one of their stores these are the phones that are available now:

Motorola f3 = E29.99
    Nokia 1200 = E39.99 both with up to E45 free credit

Nokia 6070 = E79.99
    Samsung E250= E99.99
    SE W200i=E99.99 all with up to E70 free credit

Motorola V3 =E109.99
    Samsung J600 =E139.99
    Motorola W510 =E149.99 all with up to E125 free credit

The following are "coming soon" Nokia 2626/5200/6085 and Motorola W220/W377

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sadly they are right to stock the motorolas, they are pants phones to anyone who knows anything about phones but sell well to people who don't. I'm sure the f3 will sell- and be returned- in bucket loads.
    Keeping an interested eye on Tesco Mobile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

SDooM wrote: »
    Sadly they are right to stock the motorolas, they are pants phones to anyone who knows anything about phones but sell well to people who don't. I'm sure the f3 will sell- and be returned- in bucket loads.
    Keeping an interested eye on Tesco Mobile!

Actually their E2 is a very good phone... much better than the Nokias/Sony Ericssons in the similar price range.

But I do agree that most Motorolas seem to be lacking generally (with a few brilliant exceptions).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Actually their E2 is a very good phone... much better than the Nokias/Sony Ericssons in the similar price range.

But I do agree that most Motorolas seem to be lacking generally (with a few brilliant exceptions).

?? The ROKR was an atrocious phone for its price point. Considering it was against the K750i and the 6230i at the time.

Off topic though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

SDooM wrote: »
    ?? The ROKR was an atrocious phone for its price point. Considering it was against the K750i and the 6230i at the time.

Off topic though!

That's the E1 you're thinking of - the E2 was only released in Asia. See mobile-review's glowing review of it. Great phone for music :) Runs an open-source modifiable linux system too.

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/motorola-e2-1-en.shtml

Or see the A100 "Ming" - is it sold outside of China? Very popular amongst users (a bit dated now though).

This post has been deleted.
    I'd be fairly sure Blanch will be selling them, and you can get sim-only packs, 99.9% sure of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm sure there will be a list of the stores doing it when that sites up

SUrely one of the 4 tescos in limerick is doing it not that im actually going to sign up or anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Just wondering will Tesco Mobile show up on network search on a phone even though its a MVNO?

Advertisement