Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Mobile phone service launch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't think MNVO's normally show up

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

center15 wrote: »
    Just wondering will Tesco Mobile show up on network search on a phone even though its a MVNO?

Nope because they don't have any of their own masts.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

voyager wrote: »
    hi guys, back again, heres a link to the site, but as of now its just showing the ,
    COMING SOON message.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/

voyager :cool:

..that's because the bloke that does the website won't be in to work until this (Tues) morning after being down in Lahinch surfing for the Bank Holiday weekend. It's now 8.49am - expect to see it up around 11am after several cups of coffee! LOL :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

Hey-up, extended coffee break now reads SERVICE UNAVAILABLE.

voyager :)

I`ve given up for now, will check back in a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

This post has been deleted.

there will be sim only packs shortly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its pretty poor there website hasn't yet gone live, pricing plans and stuff would atleast be helpful to woodbe customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

€10.24 per MB of data. Every little helps! me arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Have to say that I'm very content with meteor. They were the first network in Ireland to give anything remotely good value to its customers. The pay as you go option - free texts and free calls to one nominated number but the bill pay option gives free calls to all other meteor customers. The bill pay is also much much cheaper than any of the other networks i.e. vodafone

e.g. meteor 400 minutes €60
    vodafone 200 minutes €50

so theres 083, 085, 086, 087 and now 089?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Yep, not working for me in Firefox but works perfect in IE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Working ok for me in Firefox..not too bad, really for what it is, a basic mobile service with easy to understand pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

dlambirl wrote: »
    Have to say that I'm very content with meteor. They were the first network in Ireland to give anything remotely good value to its customers. The pay as you go option - free texts and free calls to one nominated number but the bill pay option gives free calls to all other meteor customers. The bill pay is also much much cheaper than any of the other networks i.e. vodafone

e.g. meteor 400 minutes €60
    vodafone 200 minutes €50

so theres 083, 085, 086, 087 and now 089?!!

you might be interested to know
    Three 400 minutes €49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

1huge1 wrote: »
    you might be interested to know
    Three 400 minutes €49

yeah but you get unlimited meteor to meteor calls on talk 400. you get unlimited 3 to 3 on the 3 tariff but there are far fewer people on that network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

To all Republic of Ireland networks, made whilst on the Island of Ireland.

They have a reasonably clear proposition that calls to the 26 counties will not cost extra if you are in the North, it is not clear what networks in the North you can use. However they manage to give the impression that calls to landlines in the North are not included in this, I suspect that if you use the 048 code from the ROI that Comreg require such calls to be the same price, so it seems that nobody in Tesco has read their own conditions. Which would be typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

089 420 0000 from any other phone (call costs vary by network provider).

What sorta helpdesk num is that? :|

They don't support MMS with other networks yet either, shame :(

Is it just me or is their checkout process not secure? https://shop.tescomobile.ie/shoppingcart/checkout/index.aspx
    ++ edit++ - nvm this bit, when I paste the link into the browser again it's secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

quintron wrote: »
    €10.24 per MB of data. Every little helps! me arse.

You can get 3mb's of data for 99 cents...

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

^^ My bad. Calculated on 1c per kilobyte charges. Didn't see bundles area here. You can put question head away now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

These data bundles also refer to "For use whilst on the Island of Ireland only.". This is different from O2, Vodafone and Meteor who gouge you for data use in the North, although they now do not charge extra for calls. Only GRPS but you could check your email on the bus to Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ooh thats a bit steep ya have to top up €20 a month to get ONLY €8.50 each month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    You can get 3mb's of data for 99 cents...

:confused:

3 whole megs? What's that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Picked up a Nokia 1200 with Tesco Mobile in Tallaght yesterday. Tried just for fun with a sim from another network, and it worked! The phone was sold unlocked! Happy days.. They thing is they claim in the brochure material, that all phones they sell are locked. On another point, the 40 different languages advertised for this phone were not there, just five.. But maybe we have to ask for Eastern European version etc of the phone when buying it? I can't find any trace of gprs data settings for the bundles, does anyone know which ones we should use?

To receive more bonus credit than the registration credit of 7.50 euro, you have to top up by 20 euro per month for three months to get 5 euro extra bonus credit phased to your number. But it's nice that they offer you 20 euro if you send in an old sim. And also that they give your friend a free sim pack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

flodis79 wrote: »
    Tried just for fun with a sim from another network, and it worked!
    What network did you try with as a matter of interest?

whisht wrote: »
    What network did you try with as a matter of interest?

Vodafone Ireland and Meteor. Worked fine both of them.

you recieve €7.50 on sim card and an extra €20 if you post off an old sim and then to get free credit you must top-up by €20 each month to recieve €8.50 each month for ten months. meteor dont require any top-up for free credit and neither do 02 or vodafone! and you get €10monthly free credit of all the other networks.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    you recieve €7.50 on sim card and an extra €20 if you post off an old sim and then to get free credit you must top-up by €20 each month to recieve €8.50 each month for ten months. meteor dont require any top-up for free credit and neither do 02 or vodafone! and you get €10monthly free credit of all the other networks.

Actually I think Meteor require a topup to get phased bonus/registration credit. Same as on 3pay.

flodis79 wrote: »
    Actually I think Meteor require a topup to get phased bonus/registration credit. Same as on 3pay.

you would think as it says so all over their site but i have upgraded few times and never had to top-up to get the registration credit!

think them saying it on the site covers them for introducing it in the future but think it would be a mistake now with so much competition unless the networks start a cartel to regulate their prices:rolleyes:

free credit should mean just that! not dependant on a top-up or mimimmum spend etc:D

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    you would think as it says so all over their site but i have upgraded few times and never had to top-up to get the registration credit!

think them saying it on the site covers them for introducing it in the future but think it would be a mistake now with so much competition unless the networks start a cartel to regulate their prices:rolleyes:

free credit should mean just that! not dependant on a top-up or mimimmum spend etc:D

Oh I see... I just thought it started to get worse when they started to offer different amount of bonus credits on different price ranges, ie the cheapest phones get only €40 , then up to €70 for others.. But I believe o2 is also going down this road, the Nokia 2626 comes with only €40 credit, while more expensive phones still get €70 or €80.

Before we fall off this topic completely, Tesco Mobile has a very friendly customer care! Called them twice today to get wap settings sent out, and asked about the €20 credit offer when sending in an old sim. I got straightforward, professional answers both times. Thumbs up.

Advertisement