Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Eventing Thread!

• 26-10-2007 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

So i know the season is coming to an end but does anyone have any stories of eventing this summer or past years.

I have evebted since i was 12 years of age. Started with a 13,2 pony in pony club called sputnick. Small round spotted nappy pony!!

But i loved and still do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

:D I miss eventing! G has been brilliant at most things and hunting he would jump anything -and give everyone else a lead but on his own XC - won't jump a stick! V frustrating.

Had always had a crack at XC / hunter trials etc and loved hunting but had never really evented past Pony Club and some unaffiliated local stuff as an adult but a bargain buy made me take it up a bit more seriously.. Monty totally showed me the ropes - even though he was too strong by far for me :D

One of my favourite memories is of one of our 1st Novices at Tweseldown in Surrey.. Dressage and SJ had gone very well and we were lying 4th coming out of the start box.. Was trying a new bit and it clearly didn't work. .. after the 4th steeplechase fence I was being tanked with and it was getting scary as he was taking more than a stride out to each hurdle and steering was non-existent.. I managed to pull him up by grabbing the bit ring on the rhs and pull his head round to my leg... he stopped and I let go. Unfortunately we were now facing a small bank with spectators on it looking down to a drop fence/coffin approach.. seconds after I let go he decided he was going to go XC whether I liked it or not.. so took 2 strides.. cleared some spectators and the safety tape .. slid down the other side of the bank on his knees (he didn't expect it to be there!) .. jumped the ditch belonging to the coffin and the brush after it and galloped about 100 metres further on before I could stop him!! How I stayed with him remains a mystery! My friends and trainer have never let me forget this even over 10 years on!

We had several other runaways during his career but no more to that standard! (Partly because we bought him a Citation bridle and I had better control!).. He went on to go Intermediate Advanced and we completed Windsor & Burgie AI & OI sections - he taught me a lot before we lost him to a tumor. :(

TheBx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

TheB wrote: »
    :D

We had several other runaways during his career but no more to that standard! (Partly because we bought him a Citation bridle and I had better control!).. He went on to go Intermediate Advanced and we completed Windsor & Burgie AI & OI sections - he taught me a lot before we lost him to a tumor. :(

TheBx

LOL. Had a similar one when competing at the pony europeans. Groom attached the d-ring to the 1st and 2nd ring of a 3 ring snaffle on one side and 1 and 3 on the other. Was like driving a car with one flat front tyre!! Took speakes,spectators and trees with us that day. Fell off and smashed my knee ...other than that a very enjoyable day!

Advertisement