Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

R license

Options
  • 26-10-2007 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I passed my test reasontly (2-3 months) but havent got my pink piece of paper yet as I have to get a medical dont 1st. Due to travel etc I havent had a chance to get one. So basically when I apply for my license will I have to use R plates? Does this Restricted license apply to people who already have their license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I doubt it as you passed before the regulations were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I doubt it as you passed before the regulations were introduced.

HA...you would think wouldn't ya. BUT I got my second provisional before the regulations were introduced but now I cant drive on my own apparentlyfrom tuesday without threat of prison!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Some parts of the new regulation seems fair, but the "R" thing is OTT in my opinion.

I haven't yet heard anybody having such thing, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

AFAIK, you only need medical report if over a certain age or if you're applying for a HGV or PCV licence??

"You will need a completed medical report form if you are applying for a driving licence for categories C1, C, D1, D, EC1, EC, ED1 or ED. You do not need this if you have previously provided a medical report, which is still applicable. A medical report is compulsory for any category if you will be 70 years of age or more on the first day of the period for which the licence is being issued, suffer from any of the disabilities or diseases listed on the D.401 form, suffer from epilepsy or alcoholism or regularly take drugs or medication that are likely to impair your ability to drive safely." - www.citizensinformation.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Ludo wrote: »
    HA...you would think wouldn't ya. BUT I got my second provisional before the regulations were introduced but now I cant drive on my own apparentlyfrom tuesday without threat of prison!

Yeah but the OP has already passed their test. You haven't.

• Advertisement

Completly different scenario. He's already passed under the previous regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

somethin to cheer you up a little... only a little...
    on the lunch time news a spokesman for the gardai said they're going to apply a common sense approach up until next feb.. so book a test, and get your self lookin as common sense as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

hmmm, i passed my test 2 months ago and got the pink paper straight away.
    does this now revert to an "R" license?

subway wrote: »
    hmmm, i passed my test 2 months ago and got the pink paper straight away.
    does this now revert to an "R" license?

NO ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

no, i dont think it will.. it's gonna apply to new licences issued.. and i dont think that one's quite in yet anyway. open to correction if anyone comes across good hard facts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

RSA have "no information" on that, but say its "in the pipeline"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

it leads on to my next question then,
    the fact that i need to be licensed 2 years before i can accompany an "L" driver.
    does that only apply to "R" drivers, or to all drivers who havent waited 2 years since passing the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What does this whole R thing mean. It is simply to tell everyone on the road that I've passed my test less than 2 years ago or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Ya it means the driver is on a restricted license and has only past their driving test in the last 2 years.

I have to take a medical because im a diabetic, only got one less than a year ok when I got my 2nd Prov but have to get a new one for the new license!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    I have to take a medical because im a diabetic, only got one less than a year ok when I got my 2nd Prov but have to get a new one for the new license!

ah i get ya! sorry, was trying to save ya d wait around if you didn't need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

E92 wrote: »
    What does this whole R thing mean. It is simply to tell everyone on the road that I've passed my test less than 2 years ago or what?

Exactly, which is also why accompanying drivers of L driver's must be qualified 2 years (i.e. not on an R Licence)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The whole R thing is a pile of poop imho. You either are deemed fit to drive on the roads or not.
    Restricting the driver to Xkph or whatever is a joke and I've never seen it make a blind bit of difference in reality to R plated drivers up the north, can't see it making the roads one iota safer.
    Anyhow it wont effect me and the gardaí probably wont enforce it anyhow (read - they will use their "discretion"...so unless the R plater drives like a boyracer the law is deemed to not affect him), so probably another total waste of time and money (but good soundbites for the politicians).

Since when is death discretionary on the road?, this whole letting off of law breakers and unfit (untested/proven) just escapes me...why are we the only country in the civilised world that still allows people that fail their driving test to drive back home on their own?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement