Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Server 2003 issue

• 26-10-2007 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was hoping someone might be able to help with an issue I have with a server running Windows Server 2003 SP2.
    I was installing a SCSI card into the server. Got a message while booting saying searching for device at HBA 0, ID 0, LUN 2 but it just hung there. Removed card and restarted now it will get as far as the Windows Server 2003 splash screen and will not go past there. Also tried to boot in Safe Mode and with the last known good configuration option with no luck.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is this a new SCSI card that the system drive is attached to? If so, the problem may be that Windows doesn't recognise the card and so can't boot. Windows will need drivers for the card before it can boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

did you have anything plugged into the scsi card?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What server / scsi card ?
    Are the drives on SCSI or IDE/SATA or onboard RAID ?

Remember Nt4/2000/XP/2003 all get upset if you change the drive controller or disk geometery

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325879 HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in the Windows Server 2003 Family
    If you are using scsi(x) in the Boot.ini file, copy the correct device driver for the SCSI controller in use on the computer, and then rename it Ntbootdd.sys. If you are using multi(x) in the Boot.ini, you do not have to do this.

This boot disk will get you back into window if the problem is with the boot sector or some disk settings. Had an NT4 server that I could never get to boot from the HDD and a rebuild wasn't an option. For years it booted from a floppy :rolleyes:

LUN 2 sounds strange , I don't remember seeing LUN sub number used on PC Drives's just the main SCSI ID 0-7 / 0-15

get a diags disk for the server and see what it says.

If you have a RAID array, sit on your hands. You will need to be bloody sure it isn't something stupid like controller configuration changing, for that reason I usually choose the default settings in the RAID BIOS rather than tweaking them, recovery is more important then performance. If you tweak the settings then, just like the very old days when you had to specify cylinders, heads, sectors, you should write down the settings on the computer or drives with a Pencil or indelible marker so you can still read them in 5 years time, cellotape and label may lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

sounds like the bios changed the boot order when you plugged in the scsi card.

as for windows you may need to run a repair on it, either that and leave it there for a whie and see does it actually boot, or is it properly freezing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jay50

Thanks for the replys.
    "as for windows you may need to run a repair on it, either that and leave it there for a whie and see does it actually boot, or is it properly freezing?" Once it gets to the Windows splash screen it won't go past. It looks like its still loading as the activity bar is still active but just sits there. First day back since Friday and it has stayed like that over the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement