Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Horsey Things.. Help me out!

• 26-10-2007 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Although I am technically irish (born in Cork - someone has to be.. :p) I've moved about a lot (South Africa / UK ) I have only spent about 7 years here in total previous to now.. So I'm out of the horsey loop.. Could tell you loads of highlights of the Equine year / places to go / shows that are good/ venues etc etc in the UK but am lost here...

So whats the story here ?.. Best shows to go to? Best Competition Venues ? Best sales ? Best beach rides (we're not keen on actually going into the water .. but thats a whole other thread!) ..

What horse related stuff would you reccomend to do here ? And where would you do it if you had a choice ?

TheBx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Lots to do. i presume you have joined your local hunt?

So lets see, i am living in Sweden now so i too am out of the loop. I suppose in Ireland, the hunting scene is the biggest social thing during the winter. I miss it, the cold frosty early mornings, the dutch courage, the long days and hunting into the darkness after stray hounds.

I remeber one day. We had hunted all day it was about 4 o'clock and drew the last covert, a small wood and the hounds went live, they hunted a fox for a short distance across some small fields to a bog where they lost scent. Out of no where 8-10 dear broke to the left. The hounds of course had their blood up and gave chase. We tried to cut them off and to no avail. ! hour of heart thumping big stone wall country ensued.... untill they hunted two deer into a large forest intersected by narrow forest roads. I was standing on one of these roads listening to hounds bayin in the distance gradually getting closer to my position. The moon was shining at this stage and out of no where a huge deer walked onto the road and stood there, his breath warm against the cold air. He looked at me like " come on this isn't fun anymore!!" and trooted off. I get goose bumps just typing it. So i stood there for a minute with my hunting crop in one hand shouting the dogs back to the master. It is days like that just you and nature that make hunting in ireland special. I know this is completely off topic but i wanted to point out to you that hunting big stone wall country is amazing in ireland.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well outside of the Dublin Horse Show..
    I'd have to recommend the Bannow and Rathangan Show. I've been to an awful lot of shows (working) and that was my very favourite. Its *huge*, but a really great atmosphere at it.

Best Competition venues? Boswell Equestrian (Ashford) and Barnadown (Gorey) are both pretty impressive purpose built venues. Mullingar is catching up (I havent been there in 2007). I've never been to Cavan.

The most well known sales venues are Goresbridge and Cavan. I've sold a couple through Goresbridge... its alright, vetting is compulsory etc...

As for Equestrian Holidays, I've always fancied a weekend at Castle Leslie in Monaghan. Spa +cooking+history+ excellent horse riding... Anyone been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

togster wrote: »
    Lots to do. i presume you have joined your local hunt?

Not yet - on my to do list.. not sure what to do as atm we live in laois (renting) but assuming all goes well we'll be moving to our new house (bought) in Westmeath in the New Year.. so seems bonkers to join a hunt down here.. New house is in the middle of The Brosna, The Westmeath, The Streamstown Harriers and the Westmeath Harriers so hunting heaven!!

Also need a new neddy as G has retired from the hunting field after 7 seasons.. the StickLegs are not upto it anymore! Hopefully new ned will come in the Spring so will have a full season in 2008/9..

Your report sounds great! Have hunted lightly here.. The Bray Harriers, the Ward Union and the Kildare - but only as a teenager.. Hunted in the UK a lot with OSBWK (Old Surrey Burstow & West Kent), Surrey Union and Chid & Lecs.. then we moved and belonged to the EFUH, hunted with the Belvoir, Quorn & Cottesmore. I love my hunting - gutted when (a) Tony Banned it (b) G's legs were just too filled next day and I realised it's getting too much for him..

What are you doing in Sweden ? Sounds interesting!

Bx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

fits wrote: »
    Well outside of the Dublin Horse Show..
    I'd have to recommend the Bannow and Rathangan Show. I've been to an awful lot of shows (working) and that was my very favourite. Its *huge*, but a really great atmosphere at it.

Cheers Fits.. Bannow & Rathangan ? Like a county show then ? Assume is during the summer season .. but where ?? Sounds like fun! :BwondersifthereareanyclassesforG:

Thinking of a trip to Goresbridge soon.. looking for a new ned - not worried if bought private or at sales.. not mad about dealers..

Castle Leslie sounds great! Cooking + Spa etc .. but no horses!! I like holidays to be PonyFree unless is a dedicated horse holiday!! (otherwise I ended up mucking out on holiday!)..

Bx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

TheB wrote: »
    Cheers Fits.. Bannow & Rathangan ? Like a county show then ? Assume is during the summer season .. but where ?? Sounds like fun! :BwondersifthereareanyclassesforG:

Bet there are... tis humungously huge.

Castle Leslie sounds great! Cooking + Spa etc .. but no horses!! I like holidays to be PonyFree unless is a dedicated horse holiday!! (otherwise I ended up mucking out on holiday!)..

That I can understand. I'm not riding at the moment so I'd love it (and Im sure I'd be making full use of the spa after the horseriding... so unfit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Fillie

hi b

this time of year the belfast horse show at the odyessy is a must, also the biggest indoor international is in cavan in november, if your into showjumping all the best of the best irish english & international are there.

hunting yip its a biggy in the social side of things...... other than the winter and autumn leagues around the country cavan is thee place to go always something on and the facilities are great...

enjoy xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

TheB wrote: »

What are you doing in Sweden ? Sounds interesting!

Bx

hI b

Nothing too intersting. Im an engineer out here but do some breaking recently at teaching. Will hopefull start competing next summer. And they don't hunt here either:(. I used to whip with the roscommons. Great hunt with great staff and landowners and no politics. A talented huntsman and great houds:) Jesus i sound like a PR.

Anyway best of luck with the move and putting down roots. Some great hunts in westmeath!!

Advertisement