Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbooks

Options
  • 26-10-2007 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Hi All ,
    Just wondering if anyone is recording on a macbook or macbook pro, what is your experience ?

Im running Pro tools 7 (on a dual core dell PC )and may be moving to Mac and logic but will need to be able to run pt also. I was thinking of getting a book , the macbook pro is mad expensive though:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Macs are well able for it alright. I'd recommend getting a Macbook Pro though, I know its a lot pricier but its far better equipped than the basic Macbook which is not a very powerful machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Yeah I guess from chatting on the mac forum that appears to be the concensus... Its a huge wad of dough to pay to make the move and make life a little more convenient .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

get a Macbook Pro and you really won't regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Don't underestimate the basic Macbook. When I use to do my mobile recording on Pro Tools 7 I was using the lowest end Macbook (1.83GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM) which ran all the sessions I did no problem. And the odd time that I recorded on a HD system it had no problem importing and running 30 tracks, each with 2 or 3 plugins, a couple of group buses and a few auxiallarys with reverb.

But if you got the cash, go for the best you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Don't underestimate the basic Macbook. When I use to do my mobile recording on Pro Tools 7 I was using the lowest end Macbook (1.83GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM) which ran all the sessions I did no problem. And the odd time that I recorded on a HD system it had no problem importing and running 30 tracks, each with 2 or 3 plugins, a couple of group buses and a few auxiallarys with reverb.

But if you got the cash, go for the best you can afford.

Ok, I am a few years behind now.... :(

G4 Powerbook 1ghz with 2 gb of memory. Using a Digi002 with PT 7.

Can records 16 tracks live with PT running for about 4hrs non stop with no issues.

Have mixed up to 29 track songs with about 8 reverbs(Most CPU hungry)/10 or so other plugins.

Can run 25 track songs with Reason rewired.

Have recorded 4 piece band with reason running and a 4way headphone mix and monitoring in a studio.

Never had any Lantacy issues with any setup.

Easy to ad TC Electronics DSP module if I need more power.

So...I can only imagine the power out of the new mac's. After all there about 6 generations ahead of me.

Oh, and its never crashed out...well after I got the settings correct...

Oh and always use an external Firewire drive...a good one.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Cheers everyone , food for thought here !

Advertisement