Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reading week for science?

• 26-10-2007 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭

I know we don't have to read as much on our own as arts students but I'm finding it impossible to keep on top of my workload in 2nd year and could really do with a week to catch up and study. I'm in 9-6 Monday- Thursday and on Friday mornings til 12 and i have a long commute. I know it seems like a petty complaint (not going out enough) but it's really annoying me and I'm not enjoying college as much, even though I like my subjects more this year.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

i'm in Arts, but my subjects don't have reading weeks and i could really do with a week or even two at this stage! :)

we were having a discussion with one of our lecturers the other day about reading weeks and he was saying officially there is no reading weeks, reading weeks are only at the discretion of the relevant schools

i'd imagine it is too late at this stage to ask for a reading week in science but it would do no harm talking with your classmates in science asking them about what their feelings would be towards having a reading week come when you're in 3rd year. if there is overwhelming support and more importantly a consensus of a need for a reading week, talk to your reps and then go on from there by having dialogue with your department and then who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

mate of mine just dropped out of second science cuz he cant keep up, I'm repeating half of first year, and am having trouble with the fact that I have to study entire courses on my own!
    We prob had classes together last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Le Rack wrote: »
    I'm repeating half of first year, and am having trouble with the fact that I have to study entire courses on my own!

Make sure you go to your lecturers regularly. They're generally very helpful and may point you in the right direction re exam questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

mate of mine just dropped out of second science cuz he cant keep up, I'm repeating half of first year, and am having trouble with the fact that I have to study entire courses on my own!
    We prob had classes together last year!

I dont blame him.I knew that 2nd year would be a step up from first year but I didnt know that it would have been this much of a step up.Im regularly typing up a lab report or a tutorial for something or other aswell as trying to keep up with studying.Im hating college right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Can someone clarify what subjects do have a reading week?

• Advertisement

I don't have any lectures that's the problem, Im repeating second semester subjects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

fatal wrote: »
    I dont blame him.I knew that 2nd year would be a step up from first year but I didnt know that it would have been this much of a step up.Im regularly typing up a lab report or a tutorial for something or other aswell as trying to keep up with studying.Im hating college right now

I'm kinda glad other people are feeling like this, my friends are too.
    It's not fair that we have no time for extra curricular activities, hobbies or going out more than once a week. I hardly get to see my boyfriend.

By the way I do work hard and I always have, even got a scholarship. so it's not a case of me slacking and then panicking, it's a case of me living and breathing chemistry and not having time for anything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I don't have any lectures that's the problem, Im repeating second semester subjects

Someone has to be writing the exam. Find out who and ask for help.

I didn't mention lectures, just lecturers btw.

oh right sorry, misread...yeah my lecturers weren't very approachable at times...just keep working and hope for the best I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

ye Im the same anytime you want to go and do a bit of study you end up writing a lab report.........still got a load to write up, damn Bmol! still Ive heard that although chem is tough you write youre labs up in the practicals as opposed to biochem,etc.Is this true or am I talking out my ass

still If I think back to first year around now I was panicing about the biology fish report and all that but it went grand in the end so Im just hoping

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 felixthecat

Im in 3rd sci now, try not to worry about it, if you're doing the bmol20010 don't worry too much about it, make sure you go to the tutorials and just stay on top of the labs. For the chemistry, try not to fall behind on Prof. Mannings stuff, that let me down last year. It is managable I promise! I got through against the odds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

what fecking tutorials??????????

is there tutorials what?

edit:sorry paniced a bit, anymore info on bmol Im handing in the reports tomo

Advertisement