Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Good point indeed...do you know if there is any plans for a toilet??

Its a disgrace thats there inst a bathroom in a shopping centre,and we thought it was bad that we had to pay in Quayside,this is far worse and more annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I'd assume so... otherwise it'll be a case of "squat-and-bury"! ;)

For example,I was in Dundrum today,I know its on a much bigger scale than johnston court but there was loads of toilets on each level that were free....thats the kind of thing the developers need to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

bobcar61 wrote: »

Its a disgrace thats there inst a bathroom in a shopping centre,and we thought it was bad that we had to pay in Quayside,this is far worse and more annoying

It's quite rare in Ireland to go into a toilet in a Shopping Centre and NOT have to pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think that is just disgusting that there is no toilet, how are they getting planning permission without a toilet, but two places to eat and drink in.
    Do they think no one in Sligo pee's!
    Its like the dark ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

Just back now.
    No toilet except for the one up in the cafe.
    To be honest there is a grand total of about 3 maybe 4 shops I'd be bothered with but I have to say I think it looks very well (could do with being full though) and it's definitely a step in the right direction for Sligo.

Not too far from the Quayside either.

Next:
    Fix O'Connell St.
    Development of Dunnes/Adalaide St.
    Car Parking, car parking, car parking!
    Castle St then me thinks and at that stage things are definitely getting there.
    Oh and some parking!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

magnumlady wrote: »
    I think that is just disgusting that there is no toilet, how are they getting planning permission without a toilet, but two places to eat and drink in.
    Do they think no one in Sligo pee's!
    Its like the dark ages.

Does the new Disability Act not cover this kind of thing, at least best practice about planning. Wouldnt have thought its not just for public premises? (Wonder does it have teeth.) Do any of the construction people know? Pls dont tell me I have to look it up. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

magnumlady wrote: »
    Sony seems to be run by McDonaghs.
    No surprise there. If I remember correctly they had something to do with the Sony store in Galway a number of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

guys

would it help if this is a sticky, seems to be getting a bit of action, well 279 posts seems it is getting the only action.

Let me know if you want it to be a sticky and we can put it up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

went in yesterday after work. virgin is the only store of any interest (to me anyway). it seems far too big (and high) for the amount of shops that are going to be in there.

still i suppose we can't complain, it's the beginning of a new sligo :-)

• Advertisement

The way they were saying about all these shops over two levels, is there anything on the second level other then the cafe?
    I agree that its much better laid out then the Quayside.

nanook wrote: »
    guys

would it help if this is a sticky, seems to be getting a bit of action, well 279 posts seems it is getting the only action.

Let me know if you want it to be a sticky and we can put it up there

That would be great. Maybe change the title to just "Johnson's Court"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

4 posts after i offered

dont know about that,

Gille or someone, post another thread about johnson court and i can merge and stickify

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

was in it today, not overly impressed, thought i'd head in before work, had a browse around elveries, vigin, jack jones and sony, still a lot of empty units, ended up having loads of times to spare, would like to see it again when its fully open, some good deals in vigin though, might stock up on a few DVDs there, any word on a book shop for it

have to agree though, better lay out than the quay side though,

nanook wrote: »
    4 posts after i offered

dont know about that,

Gille or someone, post another thread about johnson court and i can merge and stickify

Will do.

Might go with Shopping in Sligo as a title though to cover the Quayside and subsequent Developments.
    Cool?

This is a thread to cover discussions about the Quayside, Johnsons Court, The retail park and subsequent developments in Sligo.

It's based on a suggestion by Nanook in the current Johnson's Court thread.

Talk about Shops, Where to find what, Special offers etc.
    Be careful about what you say though. Nothing that could be deemed slander etc.

Good idea Gillie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I'm glad Virgin has arrived. I haven't checked it out yet, but Sligo has been crying out for a big media outlet.
    As someone (o.k. a guy) who doesn't shop for ladies fashion, I still think Sligo is pretty poor for shopping. There's no quality photograpic shop, no proper musical instrument shops, no gadget shop and no major bookshop. I like Liber, Conways, Booknest and all, but Sligo is crying out for an Easons or Waterstones. Contrary to popular belief, Sligo people CAN read:D
    Still, when you think back a few years, it has improved beyond recognition. Gamestop, River Island, Next, TK Maxx, Lifestyle, Virgin, Boots, PC World, Currys, Toy City, Homebase. Impressive list of additions. There's even an Argos (in Enniskillen:rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I can't post in this thread. Dammit...

sueme wrote: »
    I can't post in this thread. Dammit...

You just did post in this thread:confused:

• Advertisement

What do ye guys think of the retail park in Carraroe especially Homebase? Do any of you go there often and what do ye think of the service and the things they sell
    I find the place quite expensive but the items you buy can be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 what2choose?

il gatto wrote: »
    As someone (o.k. a guy) who doesn't shop for ladies fashion, I still think Sligo is pretty poor for shopping. There's no quality photograpic shop, no proper musical instrument shops, no gadget shop and no major bookshop. I like Liber, Conways, Booknest and all, but Sligo is crying out for an Easons or Waterstones. Contrary to popular belief, Sligo people CAN read:D
    Still, when you think back a few years, it has improved beyond recognition. Gamestop, River Island, Next, TK Maxx, Lifestyle, Virgin, Boots, PC World, Currys, Toy City, Homebase. Impressive list of additions. There's even an Argos (in Enniskillen:rolleyes:).

I have to completely agree. I am a female, but I am not a slave to clothes shopping, and personally find the amount of clothing shops in town (let alone JC) insane! :eek:

Tho the Sligo shopping scene has expanded dramatically over the years;), I think the diversity has been stunted somewhat... I was upset that Argos didn't come to town. I hope they change their mind and do come. Enniskillen and Longford are a good 3hour round trip depending on traffic and parking. Tho I did hear that IKEA might be coming to town...any truth to that rumour? A gadget shop would be great fun! (And I must say Iceland was rather intriguing:p)

Also I d-r-e-a-m of having a local bakery in town that actually really does bake stuff fresh from scratch instore, and have the scent wafting down the street (or mall). There's nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread/biscuits/cake to make the mouth water!:D

Oh yes, and affordable, safe, spacious and plentiful parking is an ultimate must! I still find the LIDL carpark the best for spaciousness per bay. As opposed to in town where, no matter how perfect you and the car next to you park, you still end up just about banging the door trying to get out.:D Or having a close-call trying to pull out of your parking spot.:rolleyes:;) (And before anybody says anything, 'No, I am not a ditzy driver, LOL!:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Also I d-r-e-a-m of having a local bakery in town that actually really does bake stuff fresh from scratch instore, and have the scent wafting down the street (or mall). There's nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread/biscuits/cake to make the mouth water!:D
    There's a place called 'French Market' which has just opened recently down by the new Muffin Place in Rockwood Parade... it's actually in the store which previously was Rockwood News.

Think they do all fresh bread and cakes.

We visit the Retail Park from time to time. Mostly to go specifically to either Halfords, Homebase, or Instore.

Instore Cafe is, in my opinion, fabulous. Its out of the way, so not masses of people around, tho its always at least half full, they have gorgeous food, and a killer cappuccino!:D

Two Seasons is a great place that I love to explore, they have loads of quirky stuff!

Homebase and Halfords have a great variety of stuff:cool:, but yeah there are some items that you can find elsewhere in town for cheaper.

basquille wrote: »
    There's a place called 'French Market' which has just opened recently down by the new Muffin Place in Rockwood Parade... it's actually in the store which previously was Rockwood News.

Think they do all fresh bread and cakes.

Really? :cool::cool::cool: This I must explore! I live kinda out in the sticks, so news travels a little slower my way :)

Oh Goody! I can't wait till morning!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The other bakeries realised that retail space was at a premium and converted bakery space to other uses. O'Hehirs own the two main ones in town, and they do produce nice stuff, but it's just not the same since they moved production to Cleveragh,
    The Gourmet Parlour on Bridge Street still bake in store and the smell is lovely in there. Really good quality bread, cakes, pastries etc.

The other bakeries realised that retail space was at a premium and converted bakery space to other uses. O'Hehirs own the two main ones in town, and they do produce nice stuff, but it's just not the same since they moved production to Cleveragh,
    The Gourmet Parlour on Bridge Street still bake in store and the smell is lovely in there. Really good quality bread, cakes, pastries etc.

I agree, the Gourmet Parlour rocks!!!:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I'm glad Virgin has arrived. I haven't checked it out yet, but Sligo has been crying out for a big media outlet.
    QUOTE]

Completely agree. There are far too many clothes shops now (I've never been a slave to fashion, especially the type of thing only anorexic midgets can wear) and I would love a decent sized bookshop that you can almost get lost in!
    As for the retail park. I'm delighted that it's there, but the lack of an ATM is a major issue, especially when you can't get cashback in the shops. HomeBase is great but can be expensive and they don't re-stock their shelves very quickly i.e. they used to sell energy saving spotlight bulbs, I think I bought the last four and they never re-stocked and when I eventually complained they claimed never to have sold them in the first place!
    Two Seasons is bizarre. Half of their stuff is useful whilst the other half is the most cringeworthy tat you've ever seen. It's full of Xmas and Halloween stuff at the moment so I won't be going near the place until February!
    The InStore cafe is great, it's the little extras which make it so good, the chocolate you get with your coffee and the breakfast bagel is awesome - Bagel with sausages and relish, pringles, salad and a little bowl of mixed salad! YUM!
    Haven't been near Johnson's Court yet but I'm looking forward to trying out Costa Coffee - hopefully I'll get an espresso in a proper espresso cup and saucer instead of in an ordinary sized cup which makes it look like you're drinking the dregs of someone else's coffee! Glad Sligo's got a media store at last too, looking forward to having a good rummage around in there!

I agree as well, way to many clothes shops.
    I would love gadget shop, easons etc.

I go to Homebase a fair bit, also 2seasons.

Were any of you in town yesterday? It really reminded me of Galway with all the street entertainment.

I read about the French Market in the paper and thought it was actually a proper French Market for the bank holiday weekend, so I was quite disapointed when I saw it was a shop.

Btw I took some photos of the new shopping centre if anyone that hasn't been there wants a look, on my flickr page.

• Advertisement

Regarding the Retail Park,I'm not too keen on most of the shops,I only ever really go to Halfords and Currys but its always the same things they have.Im not really a fan of 2wo Seasons,AFAIK they have had Christmas stock since the middle of September:eek:
    Having sayin all that,I'm up there almost everyday,I work up there:p

I'm relatively happy with Johnston Court,the Elverys is nice and spacious. It said in the Sligo Champion and possibly the Weekender that there would be 28 2 story shops,tho only shop over 2 levels in Elverys I think....seems to me they could have had an elevator and a 2nd level of shopping space...utilise the space to the max

Advertisement