Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

magnumlady wrote: »

I read about the French Market in the paper and thought it was actually a proper French Market for the bank holiday weekend, so I was quite disapointed when I saw it was a shop.

i thought they did actully have french market, either at rockwood parade
    or down by toffs or the velvet room on thursday or friday, think my house mate was at, said there was a very european vibe about the place by the river

i know the french market comes to donegal town ocasionlly, but its only ever there for the morning to mid afternoon, prehaps this was the same

as for town shopping my self, have yet to go back to the johnson centre, has there been much crowds over the weekend, any word when the other places are opening, sure i heard shopping over two levels, but its only elveries
    or costas that have more than one level, unless some of the stores yet to open are going to have some kind of mezeine level,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I missed the proper French market, :( mind you I think its on all weekend so I'll go back again.
    Looking back at the photos I took it doesn't look like there can be a mezzanine level but I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

From Todays Weekender:

Foodstore proposal to rekindle Carra-row
    By John Bromley

A PLANNING application for a large food store at the retail park in Carraroe looks set to rekindle the controversy over the type of shops allowed outside of Sligo town centre.

Under the Sligo and Environs Development Plan, only “retail warehousing” is allowed out-side the centre.

This is described as non-food, non-clothing, large-scale goods, such as furniture, bulky white electrical goods, gardening and DIY products and toys.

Items restricted from sale include grocery and foods items (including alcohol), footwear, clothing, books, magazines, mobile phones, music items (CDs, etc), toiletries, china, jewellery, gifts and leather goods.

The aim of this, according to the plan, is to “limit the impact on the vitality and viability of the city centre”.

This is the restriction which facilitated objections to Argos opening a store at the retail park two years ago, and to the plans submitted last year by Tesco by a new superstore opposite the retail park.

It was also one of the reasons why German discount store Aldi had an application for a shop on the Pearse Road turned down last year.

The application to be now lodged by the Carraroe retail park developers Newbay Doherty sounds like an Aldi-type store.

They are seeking planning permission to construct a licensed discount food store of 1,660 square metres (almost 18,000 square feet) in a single storey pitched roof structure. It is also planned to provide 270 car parking spaces.

Interestingly, Sligo Borough Council granted planning permission earlier this year for a new retail development to the rear of St Anne’s Church in Sligo, almost opposite Dunnes Stores on Cranmore Road.

Rhodaville Ltd was given approval to demolish an existing single-storey office/factory unit and to construct a three-storey development with basement car park, retail and warehouse units and office space.

Most of the ground floor, a total of 1,125 square metres (around 12,000 square feet) is earmarked for a “discount food retail outlet.”

Hopefully common sense will prevail here.
    How can they justify dragging people into the town Centre when the parking is such a mess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

i'm still amazed there's no supermarket out there. i'd say it'd be a good idea to put a temporary tesco out there and give them time to completely re-work the current tesco and car park into something more practical.

Most of the ground floor, a total of 1,125 square metres (around 12,000 square feet) is earmarked for a “discount food retail outlet.”

that sounds like aldi or something like that though. i'd have thought lidl was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

magnumlady wrote: »
    I missed the proper French market, :( mind you I think its on all weekend so I'll go back again.
    QUOTE]

I was there on Monday. There was a stall selling cheese, one selling furniture cleaning products made from beeswax, jewellery, wooden products, sweets - mostly jelly things, and a stall selling various nuts and olives etc. Very nice, not very French, but I hope it comes back.

I was impressed by the shopping centre, very light and airy. Good coffee in Costa Coffee! Found Virgin Megastore very expensive for some things (Blackadder Collection was €90 there - I paid £36 for it in Virgin in the UK!) but I'm glad there is one in town now.

Was surprised at the number of shops closed on the Bank Holiday Monday considering the large number of people in town. They clearly don't need the extra custom or is it that they are too mean to pay their staff extra?

• Advertisement

genie wrote: »
    Was surprised at the number of shops closed on the Bank Holiday Monday considering the large number of people in town. They clearly don't need the extra custom or is it that they are too mean to pay their staff extra?

What was closed of note?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Gillie wrote: »
    What was closed of note?

Mary's (almost everything in Castle Street in fact, except one of the clothes shops), Tir na Nog, Mullaneys, Book Nest, Brodericks, Cordners, Liber Bookshop. Was after a particular book so noticed the bookshops the most. Conway's card/bookshop was open, though. All the actual shops along Rockwood Parade were closed, all the cafés and pubs etc were open AFAIK. Wasn't on Wine Street so don't know about there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Everything in the retail park was open,however Homebase was understaffed big time.It was so busy aswell so the staff could have been a bonus,made my day so much harder having to work there

I got to the market on Monday, took a few photos so I was happy.
    It was daft that Mullaneys was shut especially as they have a shop in Johnstons.
    We were going to have lunch at costa coffee but 3.50 for a muffin is a crazy price.
    Quite a lot of shops in Wine Street were closed, including the chemists, O'Hehirs, Nice Price.
    I think Saturday was a lot nicer in the town with the buskers and parades and things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I didnt go into town yesterday but I think its disappointing that alot of places were closed in a town that meant to up and coming and booming

• Advertisement

Really? I think it's just the right size for this town!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Really? I think it's just the right size for this town!

Well its the smallest Virgin i've been in anyway :eek:

gustavo wrote: »
    Well its the smallest Virgin i've been in anyway :eek:

:eek:
    I can't believe you just said that!:eek:
    Thought this was a family friendly place!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thought this was a family friendly place!:D
    It is. Its just those with sewer pipe minds who think differently :D

Could have been worse - he could have said it was tight:D

Ah sure the shops are so small nowadays.

muffler wrote: »
    It is. Its just those with sewer pipe minds who think differently :D

Guilty as Charged!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

[off-topic]

Really? I'm ashamed so... i'm a moderator of 2 Music Forums on here and i've never heard of them! :eek: :D

EDIT: After a quick Google... ahhh, the band with Jared Leto as the lead singer - you should have said so. Heard one of their songs recently.. can't remember being greatly impressed but might look them up.

[/off-topic]

.. sorry, back on topic now!

OMG
    Well you should know them!
    You may know the lead singer, he is an actor called Jared Leto, he was in a programme called "My So-Called Life" back in '94 I think! He is in another movie coming out soon. They actually won an EMA the other night.
    Yeah, found that out after a quick Google alright. Jared Leto is a great actor. Not so much in 'My So Called Life' (which i'm rewatching at the moment and is a bore) but in stuff like 'Fight Club' and 'Panic Room'.
    "American Rockers 30 Seconds To Mars won the Rock Out Award, beating Evanescence, Fall Out Boy, Linkin Park and performers My Chemical Romance."
    [sarcasm]Ohhh Christ, such a competition of great musical talent they were up against![/sarcasm] :eek:

PS - back on topic though. Sorry muffler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

basquille wrote: »
    Yeah, found that out after a quick Google alright. Jared Leto is a great actor. Not so much in 'My So Called Life' (which i'm rewatching at the moment and is a bore) but in stuff like 'Fight Club' and 'Panic Room'.

[sarcasm]Ohhh Christ, such a competition of great musical talent they were up against![/sarcasm] :eek:

PS - back on topic though. Sorry muffler!

Ha I love him in My So-Called Life cant believe that show was cancelled!!

Hey I don't like that sarcasm I love all of those bands, although I was expecting someone on here to say something smart about them.

BOO

But ya now back on topic! Sooooo ya Shopping in Sligo...

What music shop in the Quayside?

Its music maker, afaik it opened yesterday on the new mezzanine level.
    Tabby was opening it. I didn't get in there though.
    I have to say I like Virgin, theres one fella there who is really helpful, mind you I was asking about games not music.

• Advertisement

Music Maker is obviously an independent store, so unless it caters to specific tastes like trad etc. I can't see it lasting.. sorry to be blunt and i wish the owners the best of luck with it'll be difficult with a Virgin in our town now.

I like Virgin myself... it's not huge but there's certainly enough room in it. Probably far too much area dedicated to obselete items like CD singles and such.

basquille wrote: »
    Music Maker is obviously an independent store, so unless it caters to specific tastes like trad etc. I can't see it lasting.. sorry to be blunt and i wish the owners the best of luck with it'll be difficult with a Virgin in our town now.

I like Virgin myself... it's not huge but there's certainly enough room in it. Probably far too much area dedicated to obselete items like CD singles and such.

That place on High street did pretty well for a while! The name escapes me.

That other place in Tobergal lane was ok too but they would have found it hard to compete with The Record Room and Star Records.

The next one that could be in trouble is the place above Lieber book shop in O'Connell Street.

Thnk of the competition now:
    Virgin
    The Record Room
    Xtra Vision
    Tesco
    Dunnes Stores

Times have changed!

The next one that could be in trouble is the place above Lieber book shop in O'Connell Street.

Thnk of the competition now:
    Virgin
    The Record Room
    Xtra Vision
    Tesco
    Dunnes Stores

Times have changed!

Yeah Third Wave could be in trouble, anytime I went in there it was always pretty empty, not a great selection either.

I can't see how The Record Room and Third Wave will be able to compete with Virgin. Like, If I want a CD now, I will go to Virgin without having to think twice about the others. Tecso and Xtra Vision are as good as Third Wave and The Record Room and cheaper so if Virgin didn't have what I was looking for I would go to Xtra Vision or Tesco.

I will be shocked if by this time next year all of the smaller music shops are still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

They were doing you a favour, trying to shield you from such pointless music:p :DSurely they're not actually big. I only vaguely recalled hearing the name, and when I say Jared Leto picking up that award, I sort of remembered him from Panic Room and American Psyco or something.

Anyway, I was in Johnston's Court today and I like the feel of the place, and I even like the sloped floor. Saw very little to appeal to me. Only went into Virgin, which I feel is comparable to other Virgin stores space wise. Some are bigger, but loads are smaller. The one on Henry Street in Dublin was tiny, I seem to remember.
    Music selection was not huge. Did have a classical section, which is nice. Loads of DVDs though.
    Got Millar's Crossing, Corpse Bride and Cinderella Man for €30.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

if the record room goes, so do my random metal finds. ive found a lot of great utterly non mainstream black metal there, when i was in virgin they had no real metal

il gatto wrote: »
    They were doing you a favour, trying to shield you from such pointless music:p :DSurely they're not actually big.

Well I was expecting someone to say something like that. I don't care though because I don't know you and yeah they are "actually big". Their debut album went platinum and their gig in Dublin is sold out so that kind of suggests that they are actually big.
    Anyway, I was in Johnston's Court today and I like the feel of the place, and I even like the sloped floor.

I agree with you there, there is a nice feel to the place. It feels like your not even in Sligo when your in it. It has that shopping centre noise too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Well I was expecting someone to say something like that. I don't care though because I don't know you and yeah they are "actually big". Their debut album went platinum and their gig in Dublin is sold out so that kind of suggests that they are actually big.

I agree with you there, there is a nice feel to the place. It feels like your not even in Sligo when your in it. It has that shopping centre noise too!!!

You don't know me? But I'm Jared Leto:D .....I'm just offended it was an award for best Rock. All the nominees except Fallout Boy were poor in that category I thought though. And I don't think any of them really sound very rock. Maybe I'm just getting old. All this new rock sounds like (God forgive me for saying this about anyone), Savage Garden playing around with Mettalica's sound system. It's probably just me.:confused:

I know what you mean about the shopping centre noise. Kind of like a murmering babble of voices and snatches of music drifting out of doors. It's like a humming, and to be honest, a few more shops and it really wouldn't feel like Sligo.

Got Millar's Crossing, Corpse Bride and Cinderella Man for €30.:)

A man after me own heart!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    if the record room goes, so do my random metal finds. ive found a lot of great utterly non mainstream black metal there, when i was in virgin they had no real metal

Really? I get all my metal needs in third wave, haven't bought a cd in the record room in years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i can find some stuff in third wave, but i've picked up some emperor and bathory stuff in the record room to name a few.

Advertisement