Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I was in Zavvi today and was talking to the Security fella for about 30mins and he says its been dead in there and probably will be for the next few months
    It's definitely quieter in Virgin / Zavvi. Well, apart from Saturdays which is always choc-a-block!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Most of the shops in town this morning were very quiet. I suppose they make up for it at the weekend.
    The record room was shut when I walked past just after 10am, I wonder if they don't open on Mondays anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Most people spend so much as Christmas that they just don't have the cash or don't want to deplete their accounts ant more. Apart from the inveterate shoppers who have to shop during the sales because it's such good value (apparently).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hope someone can help - I'll be in Sligo tomorrow and I was hoping to find a furniture shop. Are there any that sell something a little different or, I dunno, upmarket?

Most towns have a bunch of shops selling basically the same stuff, but I'm looking for something with a bit of class, innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Hope someone can help - I'll be in Sligo tomorrow and I was hoping to find a furniture shop. Are there any that sell something a little different or, I dunno, upmarket?

Most towns have a bunch of shops selling basically the same stuff, but I'm looking for something with a bit of class, innit.

Have you tried InStore at the Carraroe Retail Park? There aren't any furniture shops actually in the town as far as I know.

• Advertisement

I heard either Plush or Silver interiors have nice stuff. Maybe both of them. Can't remember. They're both on Ballast Quay so check both of them out I suppose.

Didn't get to go today. Planning to go next Saturday instead, so keep the suggestions coming - ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Howdy. Classsic Furniture in the Carraroe Retail Park (there's a slip road off the dual carriageway that'll bring you straight to it) has some gorgeous pieces. Bloomin' expensive, but you get what you pay for I guess.

Best of luck in your hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

genie wrote: »
    There aren't any furniture shops actually in the town as far as I know.

Cameo, Sligo House Furnishers, Romeor (Sp?) all in Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

I heard either Plush or Silver interiors have nice stuff. Maybe both of them. Can't remember. They're both on Ballast Quay so check both of them out I suppose.
    Plush Interiors is in Quayside SC now - around the back (lower Quay St.) - they have really nice stuff... worth a visit

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote: »
    Cameo, Sligo House Furnishers, Romeor (Sp?) all in Town.

Cameo is down at Hughes Bridge. Sligo House Furnishers are over at Duncan Island Centre, Finisklin and Reomer is up the top of Pearse Road. On the outskirts I'd say.

Not to be an a$$hole about it but technically they are within the boundary hence in town!
    But yeah they would be on the outskirts - where they belong tbh!

Not to be an a$$hole about it but technically they are within the boundary hence in town!
    But yeah they would be on the outskirts - where they belong tbh!

OK, I won't argue with you there! :D

genie wrote: »
    Cameo is down at Hughes Bridge. Sligo House Furnishers are over at Duncan Island Centre, Finisklin and Reomer is up the top of Pearse Road. On the outskirts I'd say.

Sligo House Furnishings are at Duncans Island? Well after 10 years having a closing down sale, they finally closed on High Street. Technically they should've had a relocation sale though.

il gatto wrote: »
    Sligo House Furnishings are at Duncans Island? Well after 10 years having a closing down sale, they finally closed on High Street. Technically they should've had a relocation sale though.

They've been there for a few years now!

As far as I can remember Sligo House Furnishers did have a relocation sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I'll be in Sligo tomorrow

i have irc logs where you say sligo was worthless. how the tables have turned

That was... my evil twin.

Yeah, that was it.

<_<

I heard on Ocean fm yesterday that Cllr Tony McLoughlin is saying that the public should have the shops they want in Carraroe. Lets hope the others agree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

It's been a while since anyone had posted here.

I saw a notice for planning permission in a unit in the Retail Park beside Homebase and Toy City for it to be split into two seperate units,I think thats where Lidl applied for their second Sligo store which was turned down but they are taking it furthur.

Also heard something along the lines of Reid Furniture are closing down shortly but I have no idea how true that it.

And also work on a McDonalds drive-thru has started beside Pizza Hut.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see Lidl or some supermarket at the retail park.
    So thats deffo going to be a McDonalds drive-thru near pizza hut?
    I wouldn't be surprised about one of the furniture shops closing down, I think there are way too many in the town now.

Would Aldi be better considering we have Lidl?

Hang on a sec. How can they allow Lidl and not allow Tesco???

Hang on a sec. How can they allow Lidl and not allow Tesco???

Who knows?? Although I don't think they will allow any supermarket there, and yes I do think an Aldi would be better, I can't see the point in having two Lidls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

bobcar61 wrote: »
    It's been a while since anyone had posted here.

I saw a notice for planning permission in a unit in the Retail Park beside Homebase and Toy City for it to be split into two seperate units,I think thats where Lidl applied for their second Sligo store which was turned down but they are taking it furthur.

Also heard something along the lines of Reid Furniture are closing down shortly but I have no idea how true that it.

And also work on a McDonalds drive-thru has started beside Pizza Hut.

Not sure about Reid, but I believe Classic Furniture are preparing to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Sligo needs a proper supermarket with parking and a wide range of food, not the two apologies it has at the moment.
    But where would it go? if Superquinn, for example, decided to open in Sligo there is no site available in the town itself and the County Council would not allow them to build on the edge of town.
    Unless they move to Sligo's new town centre - Collooney ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

There's not that much wrong with Dunnes imo, good selection of most things, especially meat, though their baking aisle could be better stocked.

Tesco is ridiculous though. Last week I couldn't find a cucumber in the whole place. Went around what passes for their produce section 4 times - not a single cucumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

you couldn't find a single cucumber??? well that's a disgrace! but seriously that place is never stocked, i find that if you actually want to get decent food in tesco the best time to go in at is at about 7 in the morning-that is when tesco are fully stocked. sure why would they bother stocking the shelves at convient times for the shopper?that would make a little bit too much sense!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

you couldn't find a single cucumber??? well that's a disgrace! but seriously that place is never stocked, i find that if you actually want to get decent food in tesco the best time to go in at is at about 7 in the morning-that is when tesco are fully stocked. sure why would they bother stocking the shelves at convient times for the shopper?that would make a little bit too much sense!:p

Well, when there are people in it you can't exactly move around freely so I don't blame them for doing it only when nobody's there.

I just think the lack of space afforded to fresh produce in that shop is disgraceful. They've got more space dedicated to booze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The vegatables and meat in Dunnes are far superior to that in Tesco.

Make a steak and potatoes meal from Dunnes, and get the same from Tesco. Then you'll know exactly what i mean!

Advertisement