Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

so true.

They really ought to tear down all the rest of the stuff that's in the arcade and expand Tesco's into it. Then they'd have enough space for a proper produce and meat section.

...and there'd be no need to cover over wine street carpark and get rid of House of Value, Food Experience, etc. Just Three shops that would easily find a replacement spot, based on the number of empty shops that are already everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Have you seen the new Tesco in Enniskillen?
    Much larger than the Sligo store and with lower prices.

I had not been in there since well before Christmas because the situation was dire - no organization whatsoever, impossible to find anything.

However I was in there this afternoon and it seems greatly improved! Things seem better organized and more spaced apart so that it was actually possible to move around between racks.

Just FYI :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Well it's to be expected really.
    It's like the lidl of the fashion world! No offence to anyone! Just my opinion and yes I do shop there from time to time!

I like their housewares section - that's why I was in there today. Didn't buy what I was looking for but ended up with a mandoline slicer, go figure... wasn't I talking about not buying more made in China crap a couple posts ago? I'm imperfect, especially when it comes to gagetry.

and yeah, it's the castoffs from the brand name shops. And maybe the castoffs that make it to Sligo aren't the best quality - but I have fond memories of Winners (similar store in concept to TK Maxx) in Montreal next to DKNY and Eaton's and picking up DKNY blazers for $30 and Jones New York cashmere sweaters for $40....

I have expensive taste... poor Mr. Xiney didn't know what he was letting himself in for. (And by expensive taste, I don't mean supid expensive for the sake of it like Next. I mean expensive as in classic styles, good quality materials and workmanship, etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I love the Housewares too Xiney. I got a lovely little iron lamp table during the week. Life is too short for me to go through the clothes rails though, its chaos.

Xiney wrote: »
    I like their housewares section - that's why I was in there today. Didn't buy what I was looking for but ended up with a mandoline slicer, go figure... wasn't I talking about not buying more made in China crap a couple posts ago? I'm imperfect, especially when it comes to gagetry.

and yeah, it's the castoffs from the brand name shops. And maybe the castoffs that make it to Sligo aren't the best quality - but I have fond memories of Winners (similar store in concept to TK Maxx) in Montreal next to DKNY and Eaton's and picking up DKNY blazers for $30 and Jones New York cashmere sweaters for $40....

I have expensive taste... poor Mr. Xiney didn't know what he was letting himself in for. (And by expensive taste, I don't mean supid expensive for the sake of it like Next. I mean expensive as in classic styles, good quality materials and workmanship, etc)

Agreed on the Housewares section!

I feel sorry for Mr. Xiney!:D
    Guess he didn't spot your IKEA Gold Member Card before he made an honest Woman of ya!:p

I've been lusting after the idea of a mantle clock for months now.

Stupid, really, since we're renting and we might have no use for a mantle clock in the next place we rent.

And I'm really trying not to buy too much useless crap that is contributing to pollution and future landfill space...

But... shiney!

:( I'm so weak.

sueme wrote: »
    Life is too short for me to go through the clothes rails though, its chaos.

Indeed!
    I'd say there has been many a small child lost among Oversized Hoodies and Winter coats!:eek:

Stupid, really, since we're renting and we might have no use for a mantle clock in the next place we rent.

And I'm really trying not to buy too much useless crap that is contributing to pollution and future landfill space...

But... shiney!

Buy it to celebrate your new job! Best of luck with it!
    A shiney clock? How can you resist....!

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote: »
    Agreed on the Housewares section!

I feel sorry for Mr. Xiney!:D
    Guess he didn't spot your IKEA Gold Member Card before he made an honest Woman of ya!:p

I feel sorry for Mr. Xiney too. He really got roped into a life of pain and suffering when he tied the knot with this nutter, right here.

Oh, IKEA isn't my dream furniture - it's just the mid range stuff that isn't stupidly modern that I rather have a penchant for.

If we're talking dream furniture I'd have to point you in the direction of Ethan Allen - but I'll never be able to afford that, not that it matters because it's probably not available in Ireland either. Which brings me to another point - not only is furniture in Ireland ridiculously expensive but I find 90% of it hideous.

But... shiney!

Oh you canadians!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I don't think Tk Maxx is as bad as people say,fair enough some things might have some dodgy needlework but nothing that cant be fixed.

I have seen a jacket in EJ's for a couple of hundred Yoyo's (€'s) and it was nothing special,and saw it in Tk Maxx the same day for a quarter of the price....think it was Hugo Boss and there was nothing wrong with it from what my eyes could see.Saying that I didn't buy,still wasn't worth the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I love the Housewares too Xiney. I got a lovely little iron lamp table during the week. Life is too short for me to go through the clothes rails though, its chaos.
    Oh I like all of it really. Theres nothing better than going through the clothes for a few gems if you ever get the time. (in my dreams) Theres some truly offensive gaudy stuff there as well, which is great fun. The kids clothes are gorgesus in the most part. I dont really "dig" shopping but love that place. Its got that bric and brac thing going on.
    Bit of twlight zone cos your phone is out of range underground. Could be lost in a pile of cut price designer clothes..never to be found again! :D

If we're talking dream furniture I'd have to point you in the direction of Ethan Allen

:confused:
    Anyone seen Xiney's sentence?
    It just flew over my head!!:D
    Ah. Life sure is simple when your a man!:cool:

Gillie wrote: »
    Indeed!
    I'd say there has been many a small child lost among Oversized Hoodies and Winter coats!:eek:

When my daughter was around 4 we used to practice emergency responses in Penneys. She would wander off while I watched her, then when she couldn't see me she's holler "MUM!" and I shout her name. Then we'd meet for a de-briefing... a little louder, don't leave it so long etc.. and off we'd go again. Very effective, and Penneys is mental anyway so no one noticed anything weird!:D

Slightly on topic Mods....

Does anybody know anything more about the proposed extension to Quayside which was mentioned a few months ago now I think. They said something about it been a possible location for A shop (Argos) which is a dreaded word around this town.

I heard it was M&S!
    There is a planning sign on the wall across from Decorplan but no giveaway's on it!

Oh M&S..sounds very tempting if they do open up...love the food in that place.

So if that goes there what do ye think will go in Woods,I know that in another topic but not too many mentions of what shop(s) shall go in there.

I'd be willing to bet it's a Heatons.

Rumours are strong in that direction anyway. Exciting, never been in a Heatons before. M&S would be lovely though.

• Advertisement

Try the Heatons website Xiney for an idea of them.

They can be great for homeware bargains. They would be on the opposite end of the scale price/quality wise to M&S.

http://www.heatonsstores.com/

Nothing special about Heatons really,I'd only ever go in to go to the Sports World which is really good value for the limited amount of squash equipment they do.

I had heard the Heatons rumor but I'm wondering if anyone had heard anything else as to what might go in there.

Try the Heatons website Xiney for an idea of them.

They can be great for homeware bargains. They would be on the opposite end of the scale price/quality wise to M&S.

http://www.heatonsstores.com/

I was looking at the website earlier :D

Nice things, for sure. Would love it if one moved into Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Found Heatons quite hit and miss myself.. was in the one in Kilkenny a few months back. Was not impressed at all!

Oh, poop.

Not impressed like Penney's not impressed?

basquille wrote: »
    Found Heatons quite hit and miss myself.. was in the one in Kilkenny a few months back. Was not impressed at all!

The clothes aren't the best at all, although now and then you might find a nice piece, a bit like Penneys. Its good for kids clothes/pyjamas etc. The bed-linen/cushions etc are great. Lamps are always pretty good too.

I have a confession to make - the only piece of clothing I've ever bought from Penney's is a pair of jeans. From the mens' section. The boyfriend jean is in and it's cheaper to buy a pair of ACTUAL boyfriend jeans! (The denim quality is better, too)

I have a confession to make - the only piece of clothing I've ever bought from Penney's is a pair of jeans. From the mens' section. The boyfriend jean is in and it's cheaper to buy a pair of ACTUAL boyfriend jeans! (The denim quality is better, too)
    Don't like Penney's clothes myself at all - much prefer Dunnes stuff.

You pay a bit more but it's much better quality - bought a load of cheap T-shirts in Penney's for the holidays (didn't expect them to last) and one 40 degree wash later and they're faded. Some of the Dunnes ones I bought cheap are still grand. The Dunnes 'Centered' range is fantastic too.

But in saying that.. i've been shopping more online. Places like Threadless.com where you can witty prints on 'Fruit Of The Loom' shirts for €6 - €9. Can't go wrong really.

I had a t-shirt there, I'd owned it since I was 13 and it just pretty much fell apart altogether about 6 months ago. I was gutted - it was one of those shirts that just fit so well. It was black but by the end it was a medium grey, and very soft...

Still, getting worn every week (and therefore washed once a week) for nearly 10 years and only falling apart then? Not bad for a $10 CAD T-shirt from Zellers (cheap store)

I don't think they make t-shirts that well anymore. Even Fruit of the Loom and American Apparell have changed the quality of their material - the "vintage" worn out look has crossed over to them as well.

• Advertisement

I had a t-shirt there, I'd owned it since I was 13 and it just pretty much fell apart altogether about 6 months ago. I was gutted - it was one of those shirts that just fit so well. It was black but by the end it was a medium grey, and very soft...

Still, getting worn every week (and therefore washed once a week) for nearly 10 years and only falling apart then? Not bad for a $10 CAD T-shirt from Zellers (cheap store)
    Tell me about it.. I bought a fairly cheap Gap t-shirt when I was in London about 8 years ago.

The shirt was still perfect as of Summer last year - no holes, no fading, in perfect shape - but threw it out. Felt it was time.

Have bought similar Gap t-shirts since.. and none of them even compare! :(

Advertisement