Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

magnumlady wrote: »
    Great stuff - I hope it has an in store Tesco restauarant like the one in Castlebar. Had a lovely Brunch Bap and a coffee for 2.99 there last Sunday, extremely good value!

No application from Tesco on the County Council list of planning applications.
    Are you sure about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Essexboy wrote: »
    No application from Tesco on the County Council list of planning applications.
    Are you sure about this?

The word at head office is that they will be applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

The word at head office is that they will be applying.

Let us hope that a filling station is included. Diesel costs €1.28 per litre in Sligo, €1.20 in Burnfoot.
    Once you hit Ballybofey, going North, prices fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I hope to god Tesco do apply for a store in Colooney ,it would make the weekly shopping so much easier and if they had a petrol station well then Happy Days.I was in Tesco in Claremorris on Sunday and the petrol prices were €1.15 per litre compared to €1.22 in Sligo and I got another 5c a litre off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

aka: Sticking it to the 'ol "Rip Off Ireland" - Sligo Style!

In a nutshell, here is a place to put the great deals you stumble upon. Not normal markdowns like 50 cent off coca cola 2 litres, but real bargains like 2 x 2 litres coca cola for 1 euro (or something like that!)

Please also include the end date of the offer if applicable.

Please only include offers that are local to Sligo Town/County - if it's country wide it belongs in the Bargain Alerts Forum.

Shills beware! We are onto you - advertising here is the best way to ensure you do NOT get our business!

• Advertisement

Now for the reason I wanted to create this thread!

Food Experience have locally produced free range chicken breasts normally priced at 9.99 per 1000 g. This is versus over €12 for 800 g at Tesco (they put up the price sometime in February, used to be 10.49 I believe)

Additionally, you may notice that the "Use By" date on the Food Experience chicken is much, much later than that you would find at Tescos or Dunnes - probably because it's fresher to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Stickied!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

If anyone has First Communion this year (for a girl) come to me for info! I've saved a FORTUNE!

Average Price in Sligo

Dress: 200
    Tiara: 50
    Bag: 25
    Shoes: 45
    Wrap: 50
    Meal: 400??

Total: 770

Sueme (the Skinflint) Average Price in Sligo

Dress: 29 Adams Kids - half price in January
    Tiara: 9 Claires Accessories
    Bag: 6 Claires Accessories
    Shoes: 30 Lyons'
    Wrap: 0 Handmade as a gift
    Meal: 150 Buffet at home for 15-20 inc kids (catered by me)

Total: 224

You can bet your money I'd do the same Sue... heck, I catered my own wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good thread - well done Xiney :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I hope to god Tesco do apply for a store in Colooney ,it would make the weekly shopping so much easier and if they had a petrol station well then Happy Days.I was in Tesco in Claremorris on Sunday and the petrol prices were €1.15 per litre compared to €1.22 in Sligo and I got another 5c a litre off.

Sorry bobcar61, I would doubt it. If the Chamber of commerce stick their oar in again like they did with Argos you can forget about us getting a new Tesco Superstore / Filling Station. The local business' would be worried that this sort of place would take away from their business. Healthy competition - you just gotta love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

mcgowan.b wrote: »
    Sorry bobcar61, I would doubt it. If the Chamber of commerce stick their oar in again like they did with Argos you can forget about us getting a new Tesco Superstore / Filling Station. The local business' would be worried that this sort of place would take away from their business. Healthy competition - you just gotta love it.

How much jurisdiction do the Chamber of Commerce have? Is it Sligo town only or is both town and county?

I'm not exactly sure, I don't know the ins and outs. What I do know is that the members of the Chamber of commerce objected to the Argos shop because of the type of goods they were selling were not under the regulations of the retail park.
    This was all bull. the reason they objected was because the local traders would no longer have the monoply on products that they sell. It seems as though Sligo traders are afraid of healthy competition. This caused a lot of rows and some business's atcually resigned from the chamber as a result. (sorry, I digress here but this bugged me)

Back on Topic

The chamber would object to this at the first oppertunity they had.

I think I read in the paper a while ago that Tesco lodged a planning application for another Superstore in Leitrim somewhere..

(p.s. Argos and Homebase are the same thing, so most of the furniture that homebase sell can be found in the argos catalogue at the same price. Only downside is that it can take homebase forever to get stuff in)

If we are going for Value for money here and rip off merchants, can I recommend that you do not use the Centra shop in Maugheraboy.

Many times I have seen them selling cans of coke singly with the banner round the top of the can saying 'Part of a Multipack, not to be sold separately'. I know that this is common in some places, but surely profits can't be that bad that they have to resort to this kind of blatent daylight robbery?

Methinks greed is the root cause, and not low profits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Great thread Xiney!! We always get our chicken from Food Experience too. We'll keep an eye out for bargains as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Thanks for your reply, I was just wondering how much of a say, if any, the Chamber of Commerce would have over stores looking to open up in Collooney.

There is a new furniture place in Collooney, behind the sports centre - Allendale or something like that. Must have a look! :)

Tesco are looking to open in Manorhamilton, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

genie wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, I was just wondering how much of a say, if any, the Chamber of Commerce would have over stores looking to open up in Collooney.

There is a new furniture place in Collooney, behind the sports centre - Allendale or something like that. Must have a look! :)

Tesco are looking to open in Manorhamilton, I believe.

A new furniture store? Is there?
    I haven't seen that.

I wouldn't have thought the chamber could have any say over Collooney but I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

(p.s. Argos and Homebase are the same thing, so most of the furniture that homebase sell can be found in the argos catalogue at the same price. Only downside is that it can take homebase forever to get stuff in)
    [/LEFT]

In fairness there is a helluva lot more stuff you can get in Argos!
    Sports, Kids, Jewellry etc...

genie wrote: »

Surely not Allendale! Two of their stores within ten minute drive would be taking the piss surely!
    magnumlady wrote: »

I wouldn't have thought the chamber could have any say over Collooney but I might be wrong.

It's pretty obvious that even though they may not have a say they are quite influential!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Rumours is a new kids shoe shop will be going into the 2 Euro shop space in Quayside.

• Advertisement

If we are going for Value for money here and rip off merchants, can I recommend that you do not use the Centra shop in Maugheraboy.

Many times I have seen them selling cans of coke singly with the banner round the top of the can saying 'Part of a Multipack, not to be sold separately'. I know that this is common in some places, but surely profits can't be that bad that they have to resort to this kind of blatent daylight robbery?

Methinks greed is the root cause, and not low profits

There is an awful lot of places guilty of that to be honest.

I think that Centra more than makes up for it in terms of Customer service!
    Fantastic shop. Crap carpark!

basquille wrote: »
    Rumours is a new kids shoe shop will be going into the 2 Euro shop space in Quayside.

Probably to compete with that one in Johnson's court?
    Good stuff. The more competition the better!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055273130

With reference to the TV offers advertised by Tesco over the weekend, I asked them how many of the TV/DVD Combos they had got in for the offer - 8 :rolleyes:, which I'm sure the staff whipped up straight away.

The worst thing is I went in especially to see were there any left, and YES, I did buy something else I hadn't meant to. Damn Tesco... :o

Is there a kids shoe shop in Johnsons Court?

sueme wrote: »
    Is there a kids shoe shop in Johnsons Court?

Isn't that bee-line (or whatever it's called) a kids shoe shop?
    Maybe it's a normal shoe shop?!

Clever marketing; you gotta love it. Coudos would be given to the merchandiser there. :D

I agree with Gille, the Customer service in that Centra shop (as with the other one on castle st.) is fantastic and couldn't be faulted. A lot of shops are guilty of this yes, but when they put the cans out with the banner stuck on and are blatent, that takes the biscuit for me.

I always say that its the small things that make a difference in a shop. would anyone agree?

I always say that its the small things that make a difference in a shop. would anyone agree?

110%

Customer Service - its so rare now, I get a shock when I encounter it!

sueme wrote: »
    Customer Service - its so rare now, I get a shock when I encounter it!

Funny you should mention that, I was in mollys last night getting some grub, and my change was practically thrown at me without so much as a thankyou or a word uttered. Its kinda the same in most places really (4 lights are polite though, so long as its not 3 in the morning and wedged)

Is there anywhere else that does offer good service apart from the aforementioned? I wonder.........

• Advertisement

Is there anywhere else that does offer good service apart from the aforementioned? I wonder.........

It would generally be better service in the smaller retailers I would Imagine!

Advertisement