Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Xiney wrote: »

I wouldn't shop there either except it's on my way home from work - and it's still open at that hour.

Maybe if Tesco get enough complaints they'll do something about it? (I'm an optimist)

I don't see your problem, I mean obviously the shelves aren't going to be full of fresh fruit and veg and bread etc. late in the evening!
    The best time to go shopping is first thing in the morning. I was in there yesterday at 9am, the shelves were heaving with lush fresh green produce and I didn't see any blue bread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Madge wrote: »
    I don't see your problem, I mean obviously the shelves aren't going to be full of fresh fruit and veg and bread etc. late in the evening!
    The best time to go shopping is first thing in the morning. I was in there yesterday at 9am, the shelves were heaving with lush fresh green produce and I didn't see any blue bread :)

Well bully for you. The problem for (some of) the rest of us, is that we work office hours, so shopping at 9am is out of the question.... that's Chelsea Tractor Mum territory.

The fact that Tesco opens 24 hours a day - you'd expect to find the same variety of produce available 24 hours a day.

And moldy blue bread in a supermarket at ANY time of the day is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I have to agree, if these shops are going to be open, then they need to be stocked fully. Otherwise close. I do my shopping on Sundays, and theres never any fruit, veg or meat in stock. I have to get those on Monday.

It like the cinema being open 24 hours, but not showing movies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Chelsea Tractor Mum territory.

Eh:confused:?

Lidl does some great fruit and veg, and is cheap too. I will say avoid like the plague on a sunday as the never have anything fresh; anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well bully for you. The problem for (some of) the rest of us, is that we work office hours, so shopping at 9am is out of the question.... that's Chelsea Tractor Mum territory.

The fact that Tesco opens 24 hours a day - you'd expect to find the same variety of produce available 24 hours a day.

In fairness supermarkets get veg in every morning, they put it out, first come first served. Harsh but true. Agree with you on the bread though. Tesco is open 24 hours because thats when they do the majority of stocking and they might as well be open while they do it, its not just so they can get business from the insomniacs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

They should order more stock initially then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

In fairness supermarkets get veg in every morning, they put it out, first come first served. Harsh but true. Agree with you on the bread though. Tesco is open 24 hours because thats when they do the majority of stocking and they might as well be open while they do it, its not just so they can get business from the insomniacs
    And here was me thinking they saw a gap in the market and were exploiting it!;) So they should be turning stuff over and not have stale and rancid food on shelves. Yep complain, better still move custom elsewhere.

sueme wrote: »
    They should order more stock initially then.

that works for non perishables but not for stuff with a daily turnover. Even milk, which you wouldn't be able to see a difference in, comes in every day and most if not all of the previous days is gone by 10am unless it was a quiet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

As Starbelgrade already pointed out, some people (myself included) work hours that are not conducive to shopping at 9am. In fact, my work hours are not conducive to even being lucid at 9 am.

Tesco is 24 hours. It should be stocked as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I can't remember the last time I was in Tesco in Sligo, I have started going to Asda in Enniskillen.I only go about once every two weeks but do a much bigger shop.
    Parking is free and much easier to get a space,shelves are staked and produce is fresh and even in the bakery section the read is still warm its that fresh.

Xiney did you mention anything about this new store that is been rumored for Colooney?

• Advertisement

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time I was in Tesco in Sligo, I have started going to Asda in Enniskillen.I only go about once every two weeks but do a much bigger shop.
    Parking is free and much easier to get a space,shelves are staked and produce is fresh and even in the bakery section the read is still warm its that fresh.

Xiney did you mention anything about this new store that is been rumored for Colooney?

I go to asda on a fairly regular basis too, but a word to the wise if I may; stay away from the own brand foodstuffs. Got some of it up there and its absolutely terrible:(. For the difference in the price that you will pay to a regular brand, its worth it when you get to the dinner table. (their boil in the bag rice is a particularly fine brand of kak!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

To be honest I find some of their own brand food quite tasty,can't pick an example right now but nothing wrong with the bits I've gotten so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The Asda "Joe" is good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Get up early on the weekend then. I'm sure your blaring music will help you outta your morning groggyness. :D
    I work office hours too, but had that day off. I usually shop early Sat morn and pick up a few supplies during my lunch break during the week if need be. Never had a prob finding fresh veg and fruit.
    Variety? I thought your complaints were about the alleged lack of fresh produce.
    I never said it wasn't.
    And you don't have to shop in Tesco if you don't like it. There's Dunnes, Lidl, Farmer's Markets ('tho I'm not sure if there still going?), fruit & veg places, other small supermarkets like Centra, Christies etc.

Variety? I thought your complaints were about the alleged lack of fresh produce.

Variety, Quality. Both.

Fwiw I was in Tesco at 9pm Tuesday night and there was plenty of fruit and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not exclusive to Sligo but Tesco are selling GTA4 for XBox 360 and PS3 for €39.95 for today only.

€25 - €30 cheaper than elsewhere..

basquille wrote: »
    Not exclusive to Sligo but Tesco are selling GTA4 for XBox 360 and PS3 for €39.95 for today only.

Thanks for that Basquille. Close call there. Just rang my GF and she was literally outside game stop going in to get the game. Zipped over to tesco's and they wer sold out of the PS3, and had only three left for the 360. Now there's only two left:D

You've saved me €20 there. Many many many thanks

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Thanks for that Basquille. Close call there. Just rang my GF and she was literally outside game stop going in to get the game. Zipped over to tesco's and they wer sold out of the PS3, and had only three left for the 360. Now there's only two left:D

You've saved me €20 there. Many many many thanks
    No worries.

Girlfriend picked one up for me at about 9.30 this morning and said there was about 3 copies left on the PS3 at that stage, and about 5 or 6 on the 360.

They're only selling it at that price for the day so when those remaining copies are gone, it's back up to €65 or €70.

Icing on the cake here. She went back into gamestop to let them know she didn't want the game AND, they gave her the €5 deposit back. Sweet, so I've saved €25.

And... I finish at 4 today. Time flies on this shift..... Fridge is stocked with beer....

What a good day:D

• Advertisement

Yep.. might go home with a "stomach bug"! :D

Yep.. might go home with a "stomach bug"! :D

I wish I could. There's too much blurb around the office with people talkin about the game. I've never been sick from work in over 2 years, so it'd be a bit fishy if I got a 'mysterious' somach bug. Damn my impeccable record!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I wish I could. There's too much blurb around the office with people talkin about the game. I've never been sick from work in over 2 years, so it'd be a bit fishy if I got a 'mysterious' somach bug. Damn my impeccable record!

On the contrary , your good record would mean there would be less suspicion drawn to any unfortunate sudden illness:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Please keep us posted about GTA4. We, very unfortunately can't get a ps3 just now and are dying to play new GTA. I'll bet it's the best yet!! Happy gaming guys!!!

gustavo wrote: »
    On the contrary , your good record would mean there would be less suspicion drawn to any unfortunate sudden illness:)

This is something I've given a lot of consideration to, and I doub't it would work. I've already suffered through a cold at work so they know I'm a resiliant sort of character:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Will be checking this out - not in Sligo but am near a Tesco. Cheers Basq!

This is something I've given a lot of consideration to, and I doub't it would work. I've already suffered through a cold at work so they know I'm a resiliant sort of character:(
    Thats exactly the wrong kind of attitude :)

People only gossip / b!tch about the people who are constantly taking sickies.
    If you've never taken one before they'll be inclined to say "Wow, Big_Mac must be sick if he didn't show up for work today".

That being said I've not actually pulled a sickie in (1&1/2 years) my current job - but I always b!tch about the girl who is constantly "sick" / hungover :)

For those of us unlucky enough not to own some next gen console wizardry, there's SD cards on sale in one of the camera shops on O'connell street (sorry don't know the name). 2gb for 16 quid isn't bad-is it?

Not bad at all!!

Do they have CF cards though?

• Advertisement

Does any of you'se guys know if Tesco is still selling GTA for €40?

My local Tesco isn't selling it, despite the fact it's about twice the size of the stupid Sligo Tesco! :mad:

Advertisement