Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gillie wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind getting the Sopranos. How many seasons are there in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Probably worth mentioning I got Peep Show, seasons 1-3 for €30 in Zavvi.
    I've just finished them last night and it's probably the best comedy I have ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

anyone know whats happening with the new clothes store in the JC centre think its called tom tailor, or something similar), the one thats suppose to go in oposite elverys, the shop fit seems to have not progressed at all for a few weeks at least

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Tommy Taylor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Been meaning to get down to Zavvi and check out their sales. Are still having it? Anybody pick up some nice gems down there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I picked up 'Black Books - Season 1 - 3' for €18 in there. Bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There are signs up on the 2 euro store in the Quayside that says PriceLess is coming soon, sounds like it will be another cheap shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

mmmm pound shops :D love them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

zavvi - went in last night and was nearly an hour - great sale on some old classics on dvd and great value for xmas (i know it is early but!) pressies.

i got 3 dvds and 5 cds for 51euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

so, if we belive the thread/hype, argos is coming, now all we need is an M&S, a food court will do, think i heard a rumour that one might be going into castle street, anyone hear anything else on this

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    so, if we belive the thread/hype, argos is coming, now all we need is an M&S, a food court will do, think i heard a rumour that one might be going into castle street, anyone hear anything else on this

There have been rumours about an M&S and I'd love it to happen, all we can do is hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Sligored wrote: »
    you read it first here ... argos en route to sligo ... more to follow in local papers this week

told ye so last april - a few last minute hitches but deal done now

irish-stew wrote: »

I heard that its supposed to be going into the extension that the quayside are building but thats f*cked now coz there's been a big objection!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

I heard that its supposed to be going into the extension that the quayside are building but thats f*cked now coz there's been a big objection!:mad:

An objection!!! There is always an objection. For once the right decision should be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

DenMan wrote: »
    An objection!!! There is always an objection. For once the right decision should be made.

Objections are made by members of the public & local businesses. It's the council's job to take these objections into consideration. If the objections are not considered reason enough, the council has the powers to grant planning. However, all grants can be brought to An Bord Pleanala for appeal.

On any planning application, anyone can make an objection / submission - this is a right of Irish Citizens & should be protected. As with all objections - some are reasonable & should be upheld and some are unreasonable & should be over turned. I don't know what they are in THIS case, but they could well be perfectly valid. Either way, you should really inform yourself before making uninformed comments.

I think The Quayside was badly designed in the first place. I don't like the layout at all.
    Walking through a shop to get to another part of the centre is mad.
    The entrance to the car park is crazy, you have to avoid cars parked outside a garage. Also people just seem to leave their cars opposite the centre entrance and exit.
    You can't blame them, I paid 8 euro in parking at the weekend, taking the kids to the cinema.
    Why hasn't the cinema got its own car park, or at least have some sort of concession set up with The Quayside....I'm rambling now, but it makes me mad!:mad:

magnumlady wrote: »
    I think The Quayside was badly designed in the first place. I don't like the layout at all.
    The entrance to the car park is crazy, you have to avoid cars parked outside a garage. Also people just seem to leave their cars opposite the centre entrance and exit.
    You can't blame them, I paid 8 euro in parking at the weekend, taking the kids to the cinema.
    Why hasn't the cinema got its own car park, or at least have some sort of concession set up with The Quayside....I'm rambling now, but it makes me mad!:mad:

You mean walking through Next? I think it's quite clever actually!

What garage Val? I know that ppl park around there but that's up to the Traffic cops to sort out.

Agree with the cinema thing. That's bull$hit!

This is quite normal & used in lots of shopping centres - it's used to attract a large "pulling" shop.. ie., one that will pull people in. It's not a mistake in the design that you have to walk through their shop from that entrance, but a "clever" retail marketing tool.

As for the overall design - I don't think it's too bad, apart from the atrocious f-up with the headheight on the -1 level. There was definitley a major miscalculation in the floor heights / beam depths. I've seen people fired / court cases, over less.

Yep - that's a problem for the council / garda to sort out. What was once a "back lane" garage, has now become a traffic problem. Having said that, yr man's a good mechanic & a decent skin.

Presumably when the cinema was set up, they were using the Wine Street car park. As the opening hours of Quayside & the cinema are different, I don't see what benefit it would be to have concessions. If you come out of the cinema after a late showing, you'd have to walk around the back of the cinema to get your car. Surely Wine Street is closer (and at that hour of the day, free to park in)?

As for the planning objections to Quaysides extension, an appeal has been lodged with An Bord Pleanala by a local resident Mary Ellen Henry, whose home on Wine Street backs onto the site for the development.

In her original objection to the Borough Council she had a number of grounds of objection including that her property would be overlooked and that the height and scale of the development would affect her access to natural daylight, that it is out of proportion with its surroundings and would detract from her amenity of her back garden which is important to her.

She also has concerns about the location of a kitchen, vents and pipes which could cause her problems with noise and fumes.

She is also worried that the construction phase will “represent a considerable inconvenience for a prolonged period of time” and could affect the stability of her property which is a protected structure.

Seems like perfectly reasonable grounds for objecting, to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You mean walking through Next? I think it's quite clever actually!
    If you call capitalism "clever" that is....
    What garage Val?
    There's a small mechanics garage just beside the car park entrance, there's no signs or anything for it. You've probably seen cars outside it with their bonnets up, etc though.

If you call capitalism "clever" that is....

Bit strong isn't it?
    Surely they are just reaching out to the impulse buyers? What's wrong with that?:confused:

• Advertisement

Its chaos walking through Next when a sale is on, you are literally falling over people.
    I think level 4 being the main entrance is mad, people from out of town don't know what they are doing.

As with regards to the cinema, you can only park in the Wine Street car park for an hour now, so no good for parking if you are going to the cinema in the afternoon.

I think level 4 being the main entrance is mad, people from out of town don't know what they are doing.

AFAIK there is a map of the place at that entrance and the next one.
    I think the same of all shopping centres i've ever been in.
    I guess we just won't agree on this one val!:)

Although I do think there should be at least one more lift!

Bit strong isn't it?
    Surely they are just reaching out to the impulse buyers? What's wrong with that?:confused:

I'm sorry I just find capitalism quite disgusting. agree with all the points Magnumlady made, walking through Next is a pain, plus I often feel vaguely pervy walking through the wimmens section just to use an exit, especially if a lot of women are around.

I often feel vaguely pervy walking through the wimmens section just to use an exit, especially if a lot of women are around.

I think you need help. :p

My son hates walking through the wimmins section. Hell I'm a woman and I hate walking through it.

I think you need help. :p

Wimmen can be very judgmental....

I've some self help books I can loan you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

You know the lingerie is on the left as you go in yes?

Don't look there Brian. Don't look, must not look left. I will not look left. No, no, not left...D'oh.

I BET you look left next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I've some self help books I can loan you. :D

I wouldn't recommend those particular titles. Whatever they are. :p

• Advertisement

sueme wrote: »
    You know the lingerie is on the left as you go in yes?

Don't look there Brian. Don't look, must not look left. I will not look left. No, no, not left...D'oh.

I BET you look left next time!

I think the problem is that not only does he always look left, but he then feels guilty. It's not "pervy" if you don't feel guilty about it. :D

The book I recommend is "How To Perv After Women & Fool Them Into Believing Different", by Doctor H. Cojones

Advertisement