Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Don't worry it's not gone.I was in it yesterday,it has moved to where the Jewlers was and now they have made Priceless bigger:D

I must walk round with my eye closed:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I hope the girl in the bookshop is feeling better. When I saw her on Sunday afternoon she fainted, poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

It's interesting to see what some people think about this:
    Sligo shoppers want more big-name brands to come
    By: Sharon Conway

Catalogue giants Argos are setting up shop in Sligo and retail supremos Asda are believed to be coming here too. Is this invasion of big international brands a good thing for the town?

Sligo Weekender reporter SHARON CONWAY asked Sligo shoppers whether they want more of these big brand names opening stores in Sligo or if they would prefer more locally owned independent stores

NEWS that catalogue superstore Argos are to open a store at Cleveragh Retail Park and recent speculation that UK-based retail super store Asda are coming to Sligo appears to be signalling the opening of doors here to many of the international brand names.

In fact, the majority of Sligo shoppers we talked to do want the big brand names here . . . and they want them now!

Most people reported that they are looking for the best value for money possible, particularly now that we are in an economic recession, and that allowing big brand names to set up in Sligo is the best way forward for the town.

Local man Kieran Brennan said we need these brands here as soon as possible because we are losing business to other towns.

“We are already behind towns like Enniskillen and Letterkenny who have a lot of the big international names. We should be keeping up with those towns, not lagging behind them.”

That view was also shared by Margaret and Valentine Powell from Ipswich, in Suffolk England. The couple, who were holidaying in Sligo, said if you want cheaper goods you have to let the big names in.

“Having big international brands will keep the prices lower in Sligo. Where we live in England, you can get all the major international brands in purpose built shopping centres on the outskirts of town.”

The importance of keeping shoppers in the town was also highlighted by Michael from Cartron who strongly believes Sligo is losing business to other towns due to a lack of the brand names people want and because of the serious parking problems here.

“Let’s face it, people are leaving Sligo in droves to shop elsewhere because we don’t have enough of the big stores including Marks & Spencers and Aldi. The fact that the parking situation here is a shambles doesn’t help things either.

“I say let all the big brands in, the more the merrier! We are gaining nothing by keeping them out. We should be keeping our money in the town and sorting out the parking problems.

“The independent local stores will find it very hard to compete with the big names, but people don’t want the local shops now. We want value for money.”

Another Sligo-based woman said that the smaller local shops were always going to be more expensive

“We are all looking for the best bargains we can get and you don’t get those bargains in the smaller shops. It’s unfortunate but its just the way things are, especially now that we are in a recession. I think Argos will be a big hit here when it opens.”

Sligo student Esther Waters expressed the view that the invasion of the super brands isn’t the best scenario in terms of preserving local culture and individuality, but it was necessary to have these big names if we want to compete with other towns.

“It’s a pity but that’s the way the world is going. Its not the most ideal scenario because a lot of the independent stores sell nice things, stuff you don’t see every where else.

“I think we just have to accept and embrace the fact that these bigger brands offer the best value for money.”

Another Sligo student, Aisling Flannery, said it was good to have a mix of both the big name brands and the smaller independent businesses, especially independent fashion boutiques, because you could buy clothes there that you couldn’t get everywhere else.

“It’s good to have some shops that are independent and original and that not everyone has,” she said. “People like what’s different.”

A small number of locals told us that they wouldn’t want to see Sligo become just like every other town and city in the country. They would rather see the town retain its originality and local business tradition.

One local woman said Sligo people should only be supporting their local businesses. “I would like to see more independently owned stores setting up and doing well here. People should support their local businesses and local convenience stores and not be giving their money away to the foreign companies.

“Sligo stands out among other towns because we still have a strong local business community doing well here. This is something we should be proud of. We haven’t totally succumbed to the might of these big superstores who are looking to take over the planet. We still have a bit of individuality and originality about us.

“What’s the point of every town and city in the world having the exact same stores? That would be boring.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Does anyone know if the music shop downstairs in Johnstons' Court is open late tonight? (friday)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

fozzle wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the music shop downstairs in Johnstons' Court is open late tonight? (friday)
    Zavvi? Yeah, think it's open til 9 on Fridays.

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    Zavvi? Yeah, think it's open til 9 on Fridays.

DAMN! Not Johnston's Court, Quayside, the one with a downstairs :o

fozzle wrote: »
    DAMN! Not Johnston's Court, Quayside, the one with a downstairs :o
    Oh, no idea so. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I would have thought it was open till 9pm,because the rest of Quayside is isn't it.Friday is a late night opening night:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LaughingMatter

I was in the bookshop, great place run by enthusiastic readers of books!
    They are also hooked up to a massive dealer search Interweb thing, and can usually find something if it's available on the planet.
    They'll buy your (good) pre-enjoyed books, at a fair price in keeping with their fair asking prices.

I'd heard a friend recommending Mundy's - but I'd thought you needed to ask somewhere in town for access.
    Can anyone please confirm or squash that rumour? :)

[Edit] by the way, the bookshop is on the first floor above Cryan's.
    Here it is on Google Maps http://tinyurl.com/4wq34x

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

No, you don't have to ask for access to Mundy's. Been there twice now and the door was always open. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

genie wrote: »
    No, you don't have to ask for access to Mundy's. Been there twice now and the door was always open. :)

In the last week and a bit its been shut whenever I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Strange...:confused:

Oh, no idea so. Sorry!

No need to be - my fault!

Probably no help to you now but, Quayside was open tonight till 8. We super indulged in gorgeous cakes at Temptation....... mmmmmmmmmmmm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks for that Mrs. T. Is the whole shopping complex open, both the inside and outside entrance shops?

Picked up Shameless (Seasons 1 - 5) for €40 in Zavvi.

Great value especially considering it's €70 on Play.com

DenMan wrote: »
    Thanks for that Mrs. T. Is the whole shopping complex open, both the inside and outside entrance shops?

It looked like everything was open but we didn't go out the Wine Street way.

TV (HDMI) Cables at Zavvi - €5

Our 10 year old TV died, and I scoured Sligo for a bargain. Couldn't find one. Sadly, ended up going to Currys in Enniskillen.

The chosen model was out of stock, so we agreed I could pick it up from the Sligo branch! If local branch had matched the chain's UK price in the first place, I needn't have burnt gas to deliver Euro notes across the border. Rules, eh? :o

I turned down Currys €28 HDMI connecting cable, because that money buys five similar cables in Zavvi, who can sell them for €5.

They call it a PS3 HDMI cable, looks like this...
    http://www.zavvi.co.uk/hdmi-PS3-HDMI-Cable/833252/q.r10.1/p.jsf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Our 10 year old TV died, and I scoured Sligo for a bargain. Couldn't find one. Sadly, ended up going to Currys in Enniskillen.

The chosen model was out of stock, so we agreed I could pick it up from the Sligo branch! If local branch had matched the chain's UK price in the first place, I needn't have burnt gas to deliver Euro notes across the border. Rules, eh? :o

I turned down Currys €28 HDMI connecting cable, because that money buys five similar cables in Zavvi, who can sell them for €5.

They call it a PS3 HDMI cable, looks like this...
    http://www.zavvi.co.uk/hdmi-PS3-HDMI-Cable/833252/q.r10.1/p.jsf

I have same experience in sligo's curry. for some reason stuff is always dearer in the sligo branch than any where else (like most things in sligo) we go to galway, dublin or indeed enniskillen to buy stuff. we also go to belfast and lisburn (Lisburn has a real big curry's and a toys-r-us) on the way to Ikea. think most thing are a bit over priced in slig but thanks to this thread we can spot the bargains!! thanks for the tip!!!

Audio / video / networking cables are over-priced in every electrical store, it's not just Curry's - FACT!

Buy cables on eBay.. you're gonna be ripped off them in brick and mortar stores. The most you'll pay for a cable on most EBay shops is €4 or €5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Picked up Shameless (Seasons 1 - 5) for €40 in Zavvi.

Great value especially considering it's €70 on Play.com

I got that too, here in HMV :D

Shameless, oh how I love you...

Update: Cheap cables gone from Zavvi. Might restock, but nothing under €15 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

any one know where one4all voucers can be spent in sligo town, the website shows all shops stores alpabetacaly nationwide, but not by county or region

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Bringing up something old(ish) here.

When I was on the bus yesterday morning on the way to college I was been nosey and listened overheard a conversation about Woods' old place and some old man said Heatons were definitely going in there with the Sports World and all.He didn't seem like the type that would hear rumours from the Internet so maybe it is true.
    That rumour has never been layed to rest has it,people still don't know what exactly going in there for definite...has it?

Also on the note of the building,I walked passed it yesterday and looked in the doorway,there seems to be chandeliers and everything hanging from the ceiling,looks very posh;)Anybody know whats thats for??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sligogringo

...House of Value in Wine Street car park (in the corner near Dunnes Stores end..pokey little shop - sells EVERYTHING cheap!)

Seriously if your looking for cheap tools to do some simple DIY or kitchen stuff then this is the place to go, its a proper "Alladins cave" cheap as chips (keep your receipt though:eek:, if it breaks they'll replace it!) & friendly staff too!

:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cheap tools can be a pain in the ass. I've broken the heads on a load of cheap screwdrivers at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

House of Value is incredible.

Their light up animated scenes (your choice of religious or dolphin!) are always worth a look ;)

No really though, they often do have nice things as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

...House of Value in Wine Street car park (in the corner near Dunnes Stores end..pokey little shop - sells EVERYTHING cheap!)

Seriously if your looking for cheap tools to do some simple DIY or kitchen stuff then this is the place to go, its a proper "Alladins cave" cheap as chips (keep your receipt though:eek:, if it breaks they'll replace it!) & friendly staff too!

:)

I'd steer well clear of cheap tools if I were you. They are complete crap and definitely won't do the job you are looking for them to do. Especially Blackspur. I think I've broken every tool of that brand that I've bought. Spend the extra few quid and buy the proper ones. They'll last, and are much safer too (especially with electrical tools)

All gaming consoles (Wii, 360, PS3) and games 25% off in Tesco for the day.. good Christmas presents for kids!

It's a nationwide thing, but there was no signs anywhere in the Sligo store. Got a PS3 and Tiger Woods 09 for €329 this morning.. though will more than likely only use it as a BluRay player, though hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Anyone looking for emergency halloween supplies? Dunnes have a lot of halloween stuff reduced and lots of bogof's on bars and crisps. (No little apples left though if anyone was thinking of making toffee apples...no? your all going to the pub...? I'm the only saddo sitting in..? I see.)

Advertisement