Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Haven't been down to Zavvi since Christmas Eve. Are there many bargains to be got, especially on box sets? Now that the blade is getting very close and they will be on the way out in the very near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

really depends what your after denman, was looking out for a few film box sets, the bourne series for example, but they only had the indivial films for any i was looking for, was looking out for a couple of CDs as well, ended up going over to 3rd wave instead, and got them slightly cheeper

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Judging by a thread in Bargain Alerts regarding Zavvi stores in Ireland also going into administration... it should be a further 10% down there. Some good deals to be had if so!

Best offer I saw in there recently was the DVD boxset of Peep Show - Series 1 - 6 (18 euros with 10% off).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Stove was got by a lovely couple from Ballisodare who in fairness waited out the night another guy arrived at 4am but was beat by this couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

fmcc wrote: »
    Stove was got by a lovely couple from Ballisodare who in fairness waited out the night another guy arrived at 4am but was beat by this couple.

Cold night for it - they must have been determined!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

basquille wrote: »
    Judging by a thread in Bargain Alerts regarding Zavvi stores in Ireland also going into administration... it should be a further 10% down there. Some good deals to be had if so!

Best offer I saw in there recently was the DVD boxset of Peep Show - Series 1 - 6 (18 euros with 10% off).
    Does anyone know is that offer still available?:D

Does anyone know is that offer still available?:D
    Was in Zavvi this evening.. no copies of that Peep Show boxset left I'm afraid (can be bought and delivered from Asda for about 19 euro though).

Their clearout of stock in Zavvi actually pretty piss-poor. Bought 2 Blu-rays for 30 euro in their last week... that promotion is over and they're now 20 euro each in a "clearout" - best of luck with that Zavvi! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Zavvi is going to be left with an awful lot of stock if they don't reduce it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I'm nearly sure the Zavvi store in Sligo is going to be taken over by HMV so maybe it's just going to be a case of rebranding.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure the Zavvi store in Sligo is going to be taken over by HMV so maybe it's just going to be a case of rebranding.
    Not sure about that..

I read HMV were interested in 6 - 7 Zavvi stores in Ireland and they'd take over the 6 or 7 with the largest turnover. Not sure if the Sligo store would be included in those.

HMV will gladly buy the stock from the remaining stores though.

• Advertisement

Ahh well I hope HMV do take over the Zavvi store in Sligo.Surely the Sligo store isn't preforming that badly in Ireland.I'd be surprised if HMV were to take over a Zavvi store if they had one of their own stores down the road.

Did anybody pick up the entire series of Only Fools and Horses on DVD in Zavvi. I regret not doing it now and hope they have some still in stock.

DenMan wrote: »
    Did anybody pick up the entire series of Only Fools and Horses on DVD in Zavvi. I regret not doing it now and hope they have some still in stock.
    They'll have a further reduction from tomorrow.. between 20% and 50% on products.

More info here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055456595

I was in Zavvi today, 20% off dvds, cd's and games (not consoles).

30% off clothing, badges, books.

Didn't see anything with 50% off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

DenMan wrote: »
    There is too many cars coming into the car park as it is. No place to house them all.

Agreed, but at least there are plans ( + planning permission got , afaik ) for a multi storey car park ( for about 1000 cars I think ) and huge new modern shopping centre, to replace the existing Dunnes, Tesco etc. The quicker it starts the better.

jimmmy wrote: »
    Agreed, but at least there are plans ( + planning permission got , afaik ) for a multi storey car park ( for about 1000 cars I think ) and huge new modern shopping centre, to replace the existing Dunnes, Tesco etc. The quicker it starts the better.

I won't hold my breath....we've been promised this for years.

I'll be here in Sligo for another four years studying. Then it's off to work in Spain/Dubai. While not a guarentee, that shopping utopia that everyone is hoping for will still be on the drawing board. A brilliant idea (in principle).

Its good to see more secondhand shops in the town now.

I just missed out on a 30gb ipod from the Oxfam shop last week:(

Mrs. Quinns shop in John Street has loads of items in....I love second hand shops:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I love second hand shops too. And craigslist, how I miss craigslist...

Xiney wrote: »
    I love second hand shops too. And craigslist, how I miss craigslist...

Whats craigslist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

and here's the one for montreal:

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/

You can get anything on craigslist, an apartment, a couch, a date, even a job. It's a free classifieds site, and in a lot of cities has all but replaced paid classifieds.

magnumlady wrote: »
    Whats craigslist?
    craigslist.org

Kinda like a weird-and-wonderful Buy And Sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Zavvi are not honouring their own gift vouchers - you have to contact the reciever of the company & then fill in a written application to ask them for payment. Legally, according to them, if you've a gift voucher, you've gone from being a normal customer, to a creditor.

Zavvi are not honouring their own gift vouchers - you have to contact the reciever of the company & then fill in a written application to ask them for payment. Legally, according to them, if you've a gift voucher, you've gone from being a normal customer, to a creditor.
    Yep, have known this for a while.

Had €20 left on my gift card and as soon as I heard of Zavvi UK going into administration, I went in and spent what was left on it. About a week later, Zavvi Ireland went into administration. Was lucky.. but I knew it was coming to be honest.

An interesting article here on the topic, and some information on rights from Consumer Connect here

Xiney wrote: »
    http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

and here's the one for montreal:

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/

You can get anything on craigslist, an apartment, a couch, a date, even a job. It's a free classifieds site, and in a lot of cities has all but replaced paid classifieds.

It looks great.

I'm a very happy camper. Picked up Stargate SG-1 Season 10, Nightwish - Wishmaster album and Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1-4 and mini's in Zavvi, and all for less than a hundred quid. Happy days indeed. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

basquille wrote: »
    Yep, have known this for a while.

Had €20 left on my gift card and as soon as I heard of Zavvi UK going into administration, I went in and spent what was left on it. About a week later, Zavvi Ireland went into administration. Was lucky.. but I knew it was coming to be honest.

An interesting article here on the topic, and some information on rights from Consumer Connect here

I read the Consumer Connect advice earlier today - it's a disgrace they can get away with it ... and the same with deposits. I just hope no-one has recently put a deposit on anything in Land of Leather!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

No Sligo? Ah well.. I suspected to be honest!

• Advertisement

I'm slightly disappointed that HMV have not chosen the Sligo store.Wonder when Zavvi will close now in Sligo??

On another note....

I picked up a few DVD's!

Talladega Nights,Stranger than Fiction,The Benchwarmers,Max Power,Jeremy Clarkson's Motorsport Mayhem,Martin Brundles Super Cars,40 Year Old Virgin,40 Days and 40 Nights,The Longestyard,Big Daddy,Click,Ray,American Pie 1 and 2,Little Britain DVD Game,Billy Connolly and The Vicar of Dibley and throw a 49L tuff crate for storage which cost €5.
    Got them all up in Homebase for €40.19 and then my 20% Staff Discount brought it down to €32.73.I was Happy Out,just going to put them on the laptop and then convert them to put them on the iPod:)

Some of the DVD's were double or triple boxsets.

There is loads up there,but going out the door fairly quickly

Advertisement