Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 galwayshelly

thanks magnumlady

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

magnumlady wrote: »
    I went into the Lidl warehouse sale yesterday.
    I've never seen the retail park so busy.
    The place was packed. People were coming out with trolley loads of stuff.

They had trainers for 4.99. Ladies leather boots for 4.99, a chest of drawers for 30 euro...loads of stuff.

+1 on the mental-ness of it! Was on my way back after a day out, passed by at 5pm so I stopped in for a look. Was the car-park ever that busy when there was all the shops out there?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The Book Nest have 50% off everything until Friday.
    Third Wave also have 50% off everything, I'm not sure when this offer ends though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The Book Nest have 50% off everything until Friday.
    Third Wave also have 50% off everything, I'm not sure when this offer ends though.

The third wave deal has been running since before xmas, was speaking to one of the owners, is due to a relocation to downstairs, I have no idea when the move is though.

irish-stew wrote: »
    The third wave deal has been running since before xmas, was speaking to one of the owners, is due to a relocation to downstairs, I have no idea when the move is though.

It was only 25% before. They just posted on twitter today that it's now 50%. I would have thought if they were relocating it would be better to box everything up and move it downstairs.

• Advertisement

It was only 25% before. They just posted on twitter today that it's now 50%. I would have thought if they were relocating it would be better to box everything up and move it downstairs.

Ooooooo, might be worth another visit.

I just re-read the tweet. The 50% off starts on Feb. 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

If Third Wave are moving downstairs, what is happening to the Liber Bookshop? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

genie wrote: »
    If Third Wave are moving downstairs, what is happening to the Liber Bookshop? :confused:
    moving to to the shopping centre across the road

moving to to the shopping centre across the road

Are they? What the Tesco one? If so what about the book shop there already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I think there's a vacancy just up from the newsagents..

Used to sell toys and that but recently I've seen it empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

should have said jonstones court:p well that what was said in one of the threads on here.

should have said jonstones court:p well that what was said in one of the threads on here.

I didn't think 3rd Wave would have moved to Johnston's considering HMV is only a few feet away at best.. Is the only slot available in Johnston's not a walk in lot? Like where the Calendar club is? Thought they had the other places occupied with something to do with golf and a boat!

Lornen wrote: »
    I didn't think 3rd Wave would have moved to Johnston's considering HMV is only a few feet away at best.. Is the only slot available in Johnston's not a walk in lot? Like where the Calendar club is? Thought they had the other places occupied with something to do with golf and a boat!

It's the Liber bookshop that's moving to Johnston's.
    Maybe they'll move the boat.;)

3rd wave are moving into Libers, Libers are moving to the Johnson Court.

Theres a couple of empty units in the Johnson Court, theres the one with the boat in, where the bag shop/accessories shop used to be. Theres the one where the seasonal shops go into, ie, the calander club. I'm guessing there may also be space as well behind some of the hordings/boards on the right hand side if your coming in from O'Connell Street.

No idea when these moves are taking place, it was one of the owners of 3rd Wave who told me they're moving downstairs.

I was just wondering if it was just me or was it Sligo town that's in a bad mood the past few weeks!

Every shop I go into these days are full of miffed or unhappy looking workers.

There's a deli in town I don't want to name that I absolutely adored. I was in EVERY day, I'd make up any excuse to get a break from work and pip down the road to have the chats with the workers, snoop out some new ingredients and just have a bit of happy smiley fun company.

Went in there just after Christmas and they've employed a new girl who's really rude and not up for a bit of bant or talking for that matter.

It's just strange.

No one seems to be happy to have a customer and with the way everything's going, you'd really think people would be a little more gracious!

I was just wondering if it was just me or was it Sligo town that's in a bad mood the past few weeks!

There's a deli in town I don't want to name that I absolutely adored. I was in EVERY day, I'd make up any excuse to get a break from work and pip down the road to have the chats with the workers, snoop out some new ingredients and just have a bit of happy smiley fun company.

Went in there just after Christmas and they've employed a new girl who's really rude and not up for a bit of bant or talking for that matter.

It's just strange.

No one seems to be happy to have a customer and with the way everything's going, you'd really think people would be a little more gracious!

Could be just that it January, people have no money after xmas, shops are quieter, as an effect staff moral is low, although you would think that when people do come in they would be more welcoming.

I do alot of the time try and have banter with who ever is serving me, some times its just not in peoples personality to respond.

Could be just that it January, people have no money after xmas, shops are quieter, as an effect staff moral is low, although you would think that when people do come in they would be more welcoming.

I do alot of the time try and have banter with who ever is serving me, some times its just not in peoples personality to respond.

That's true. I probably fall victim into the "not being so cheery" worker category from time to time, but it was just so eerie heading in and no one asking me how I was getting on or SMILING even.
    I love the 2 most prominent "fine food" stores in Sligo town but their staff just don't want to know on the best of occasions. Tried asking this new face about cheeses and I was shrugged at.. A little disheartening..
    Even started just going to Tesco's for my cheeses and cured meats. *shame*

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

It's just strange.

Sligo has always been like that. :)

If it's got any worse recently, it could be to do with the even lower minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I agree. I haven't noticed the poor service get poorer. It's always been crap.

• Advertisement

Seriously?!

I don't know, maybe I'm going into different shops! :P

Tesco is always a daunting hole now, they have a girl on the til who actually SIGHS and MOANS when she has to hand you a bag or check a barcode as one isn't scanning.. She makes you feel bad for shopping there and taking up HER time :o

On that note, was in the little sweet shops O'Briens today. The one beside TK Maxx and there's this little old man who works there and he is absolutely lovely. I've just been popping into him for a bit of a chat now!

God I sound ancient, yearning for social interactions when on a shopping trip to town :P

I second O'Briens sweet shop in The Quayside. I saw a younger guy in there and he was very helpful.
    I'm with you on the deli. I think I know which one you mean.
    I went in to try and get some chutney and they didn't want to know.

I second O'Briens sweet shop in The Quayside. I saw a younger guy in there and he was very helpful.
    I'm with you on the deli. I think I know which one you mean.
    I went in to try and get some chutney and they didn't want to know.

Oh the little old man though, what an absolute star. Popped in on Monday just to say hello!

And MagnumLady, I think I know which Deli YOU are talking about, as the one I go to doesn't actually sell things that aren't in jars and prepacked..
    It's more of a "fine food" establishment rather than a Deli although they do sell a wide variety of local cheeses, cured meats and home made foods..

I'm probably being a little pedantic but I haven't bought much more than the occasional block of cheese from the place in the past 2 months. Shocking when I used to spend the guts of my weeks wage there :P

I'm with you on the "trying before buying" lark. When you ask someone for a taste of something in Sligo they look at you like you've got ten heads!
    How people expect you to pay out your end for things before you even try them is beyond me :/ I mean, you get to try on shoes before buying, clothes before buying, why not a small sample of food before buying a large quantity?

I must track the sweet man down :D

I mis typed my post. What I meant was there is a certain brand of chutney that I'm trying to buy (we won some in a hamper and it's the nicest one we've ever had). They didn't have it in the shop I went into though and didn't seem too worried about getting it :(

I have to give praise to the service in the new farm shop in Collooney. It's great. There is a cheese man there and he has samples for people to try. There is also a great range of meat and it's all lovely.

I mis typed my post. What I meant was there is a certain brand of chutney that I'm trying to buy (we won some in a hamper and it's the nicest one we've ever had). They didn't have it in the shop I went into though and didn't seem too worried about getting it :(

I have to give praise to the service in the new farm shop in Collooney. It's great. There is a cheese man there and he has samples for people to try. There is also a great range of meat and it's all lovely.

Wow that sounds really good! Where about in Collooney and what days is he about?
    I'd love to go to a nice proper market where people are passionate and not stingey about their food :)

The Village Fayre (I think that's it's name). Is just off the Collooney roundabout. Opposite the petrol station.
    It varies as to when the cheese man is there. He also sells olives.
    The butcher part is always open, it's pre-packed meat but lovely.
    They also have The Gourmet Parlour in there as well. It's open everyday except Monday.

The Village Fayre (I think that's it's name). Is just off the Collooney roundabout. Opposite the petrol station.
    It varies as to when the cheese man is there. He also sells olives.
    The butcher part is always open, it's pre-packed meat but lovely.
    They also have The Gourmet Parlour in there as well. It's open everyday except Monday.

Olives?! Oh my word, I do need to pay this little place a visit!

Everyday except my day off, typical! :(

Totally agree on the two fellas in o'briens sweet shop. Both gents.

:)

Totally agree on the two fellas in o'briens sweet shop. Both gents.

:)

I was also in the one across from Celery's Mens Wear and I never get offered help or spoken to when I pop in, making leaving very awkward. But today a man maybe in his mid 40's was in and was more than happy to let me open a box of Irn Bru Wham bars myself as there was none on the shelf :pac:

• Advertisement

Would they do Chorizo or Mozzarella Magnumlady, use both ocassionally in cooking, wouldn't mind trying some of the fresher stuff rather than the packaged.

Cant quite remember the name of the shop in town that might do it, keep meaning to go in but always forget.

:o

Advertisement