Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in English

Options
  • 26-10-2007 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Does anyone have an idea what the minimum grades were for acceptance this year. I know the American Lit one was a 2.1, but how about the others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Most Masters have a minimum 2:1 standard to get into across the board.

Don't have any definite info for english for you though.

Blush has just finished an English MA and still pops back from time to time, she may know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I got offered Modern English Lit with a 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

High 2.1 will probably get you in. Low 2.1 could be pushing it. The year I did mine (Modern English) the lowest grade anyone in my class had from their BA was 64%. The year before I think the lowest was 62%. Depends on the standard of the people you're competing against really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hey just want to bump this to make sure -- is it a 2.1 GPA that is the minimum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

No 2.1 as in second class honours, i.e. 60%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

I'm doing the MA in American Lit at the moment, and as far as I know everyone in my class got a first or a high 2.1. It depends on what course you are going for. I think they all expect a 2.1, and as far as I know (which isn't much, we don't tend to ask each other these things) it's generally over the 65% mark this year, but it varies depending on demand. Usually a good 2.1 would guarantee you a place though. I'm guessing that would be a B+ and possibly a B? I have no idea how it works with the GPA system. I think it still stands that it's only your grade in English that counts, not an average of your two subjects.
    Talk to some of the convenors of the courses. They're all really helpful.

Which courses are you thinking of applying for? I highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

DaveMcG wrote: »
    hey just want to bump this to make sure -- is it a 2.1 GPA that is the minimum?

No it would be 3.08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

boooooooo.........

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As everyone said above, the minimum that's required is generally a 2.1 honours degree in the subject you're applying for. You'll probably need a minimum of a 2.2 in your second subject to fulfill the requirements.

Whether or not you need a high 2.1 is generally determined by the competition for the relevant masters, but in my masters class it varied from people who got 60% to individuals who got solid 1.1s. Apart from 'qualifying' for the masters, the grade you got in your degree is somehwhat irrelevant; it actually happened that many of those who got 2.1s in their degrees got 1.1s in their masters and actually did better than some people who got 1.1s in their degree

Getting back to applying and qualifying for MAs: it is sometimes possible to gain entry to a masters course if you get a 2.2. I know a few people who received offers for a masters course in UCD who 'only' got a 2.2. Obviously, it depends on the competition for places in the particular course.
    Moreover, some individual schools may :)offer an MA qualifying exam, where you go back and take some final year courses in areas similar to the masters in which you're interested, and if you do well in them (again, I think you need to get a 2.1 in the exams, coursework, etc) you can then go on to do the masters. Each school has its own requirements, so it would be worthwhile to call up to the school office and find out who's the co-ordinator for the masters in which you're interested, and then go have a chat with them. They'd be the best person to advise you on all your options.

Best of luck!

:)

Advertisement