Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jQuery and drop down lists

Options
  • 26-10-2007 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am trying to use JQuery with a drop down list. I cannot get the selected index.

I know how to register the event for my dd list :

$("select#myddl").change(function(){

});

How do I translate the following code in JQuery :

How do I go about retreiving the selected value of a dropdown list using jquery?

<select onchange="f(this.selectedIndex)">
    <option></option>
    <option></option>

</select>

Comments

Well jquery objects have a get() method, which returns a DOM element. So you can use properties like selectedIndex. eg. $("myEl").get(0).innerHTML = "Example"; would access the native javascript object of 'myEl' and change it's innerHTML.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Well jquery objects have a get() method, which returns a DOM element. So you can use properties like selectedIndex. eg. $("myEl").get(0).innerHTML = "Example"; would access the native javascript object of 'myEl' and change it's innerHTML.

Sounds good. How do you return the index of an option selected using JQuery:

<select>
    <option value="A">a</option><option value="B">b</option><option
    value="C">c</option>
    </select>

I want to return 0, 1 and 2 when the above options are selected (in an alert box for ex.)

How would you go about it?

I cannot find the answer on jquery.com, google, ....

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭randombar

Not sure if it's the same thing but I returned javascript commands from an ajax piece I'm using, those javascript commands then populate the select box
    function addNewTreatment( id, name ) {
    document.forms['formname'].elements[ 'treatmentid' ][ document.forms['formname'].elements[ 'treatmentid' ].length ] = new Option( name, id );
    }

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mariochampion

hey,

don't know if you ever found this out.

var varname =$("select#selectname").val();

enjoy
    mario

Advertisement