Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delayed coverage problem??

Options
  • 26-10-2007 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there,

What if... there's a football game on... you see near half time the score is 1-1 and your bookmaker (PP) still offers on live betting 8/1 for a 1-1 half time correct score. Of course you put money on it.

Then, you find your bet being voided because they were apparently experiencing "delayed coverage problems". How would that be my problem if they're experiencing problems?? If for some reasons I put some money by accident and lose it, they'll take it and tell me to get lost...

Has anyone been involved in that case of issues with them and got it sorted out succesfully?

Thanks

Salem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

Salem BRS wrote: »
    Hi there,

What if... there's a football game on... you see near half time the score is 1-1 and your bookmaker (PP) still offers on live betting 8/1 for a 1-1 half time correct score. Of course you put money on it.

Then, you find your bet being voided because they were apparently experiencing "delayed coverage problems". How would that be my problem if they're experiencing problems?? If for some reasons I put some money by accident and lose it, they'll take it and tell me to get lost...

Has anyone been involved in that case of issues with them and got it sorted out succesfully?

Thanks

Salem

This question is asked almost every week. Basically you have no come back. Its in every bookies terms and conditions.

Paddy Powers website crashed one day during an England game! The prices were still left up as the game was in running. Crouch got the 2nd goal, and the betting was still left up for scorer of the 2nd goal. Obviously everyone lumped on crouch! of course the bookies didnt pay out! why should they?!

basically youre trying to take advantage of a technical fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Salem BRS

This isn't the same thing here.
    I've put money on a half time correct score before it was half time. So I could have lost it. See my point??

Now, you refer to the T&C. Fine. But is there not a consumer legislation as well??
    I mean, so shop would have some "no refund" signs. That doesn't make it legal even if you see the sign when entering the shop.

Finally, if you go to a store and see an item marked with a price of 10 euros. They cannot charge your more for it. The price which is advertised is the price you have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

most bookies have condition to allow for palpable errors and obvious price errors. You're bound by this. No such thing as free money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Salem BRS

No, really??? not like a 45/1 on a +29pts half time handicap on portugal against scotland... I enjoyed it ;-) and that was a very obvious error from them.

Anyway it doesn't matter if its a palpable error or obvious price error. If you put something on offer, you have to honor it.

If you make an "obvious" mistake, you won't see your money back. So why should that not be the same the other way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I don't think you understand the nature of bookmakers' legal requirements. Gambling debts are not legally enforceable. This has nothing to do with what they include in their terms and conditions as such. There is no valid analogy with shops.

More generally just don't try to screw bookies over. The reality is that they *don't* try to screw customers over. They don't have to, punters are stupid and they give them their money when it's all fair. The only way to beat bookies is to have a better understanding of the true odds of an event or to find an arb. Anything else is nonsense and the bookie will tell you to get lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

hotspur wrote: »
    punters are stupid and they give them their money when it's all fair.

I used to put too much money on bets, thus exceeding the max payout.
    ex: 105 euros at 1000-1 on a rugby event. Since the max payout is 100 000 I was giving 5 euros to the bookie that was never going to return to me.

I was stupid enough as you put it. I agree. But I still think that the bookies ARE scerwing us over. They are not bothered blocking their system when you exceed the max payout because they are making some money on that too.

I think Salem has a point. It should be their responsibility to not make mistakes. I recall a punter who won a case:

he put money at 500-1, he won 20 000 euros.
    PP refused to pay up stating it was a mistake. PP offered to give 200 euros as a settlement (lol!!) . They went to court, the punter won. Rightfully so.

I think they just know most punters will not go to court, that is the problem.
    hotspur wrote: »
    The only way to beat bookies is to have a better understanding of the true odds of an event.

I totally agree on that. Big teams were truely overrated during the rwc. it was more 50-50 or 60-40 than the 900-1 that we were seeing.

Advertisement