Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Gear

Options
  • 26-10-2007 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Evening all.
    took the plunge and bought a new set of wheels- bog-standard road bike from a store that would be very suitable for the apparently deleted "worst bike shop evah" thread that was here a few weeks ago.
    anyways, i was wondering what kind of accoutrements the forumistas thought would be handy. i'll be using this for tooling in and out to work/college, with the weekend long-spin chucked in.
    so far i've got:
    pretty decent lock set
    set of lights
    tyre levers, alan (sic.) keys
    wet weather lube

was thinking of getting:
    one of those cool little bags what go under the saddle
    portable pump
    mudguards
    replacement tube

am i forgetting anything?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A bike computer so you know how far you've gone and your speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Helmet!

Cycling shorts (padded) for long term comfort.

Light rain jacket (bright coloured)

These days the old arm band or equivalent around the ankle is useful in fading light.

wAter bottle, with a few grains of salt to aid recovery.

By the way do not over do it with excessive excerise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

roadmanmad wrote: »
    wAter bottle, with a few grains of salt to aid recovery.

Does this actually work? if so how,

also to add to the thread get the padded shorts, spare tube, levers, a hand pump, a puncture repair kit (you never know when both tubes get puntured) and a few euro in your saddle bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

A battery charger and rechargeble batteries from Argos to keep the light lit.

and these are my top tip ---> Respro Hi-Viz Ankle Bands
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23571

They are about two inches wide, and as you pedal they obviously move up and down and attract the attention of drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

cheers all. going to head into town and help put mr. cycleogical's kids through college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

My essential piece of kit is an upright track pump to keep the tyres nice and hard and I've less punctures as as result and saves the hassle of broken presta valves.

Obviously to be kept in the garage as opposed to strapped to the bike.

Around 25€ so shouldn't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

sunglasses, to protect your eyes from the sun, grit, insects etc...

peterk19 wrote: »
    Does this actually work? if so how,

also to add to the thread get the padded shorts, spare tube, levers, a hand pump, a puncture repair kit (you never know when both tubes get puntured) and a few euro in your saddle bag

By sweating, you loose fluids and sodium. Without sufficient fluids you become dehydrated. You drink to replace fluid. Because you have lost sodium, you have a serious imbalance in electrolytes and this is why you add a little sodium to reduce the level of imbalance. All the sports drinks use a little sodium.

you could also register with

Roadbikerider.com for the weekly magazine.

Interesting articles every weeks.

Advertisement