Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Throttling Bittorrent?

Options
  • 26-10-2007 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi, Im experiencing some probs with eircom bb at the mo. I recently moved to them signing up for 2mb bb however im only getting 1mb according to eircom router and speeds match aswell so I better not be billed for 2mb or some customer service rep will be deaf! :p
    Anyway bittorrent speeds have been awful since moving. I use Azureus and my ports are open both on router and os so there don't seem to be a prob there. However on torrents with 1000+ seeds i only get about 15kb/s download speed and less than 10kb/s upload. every so often speeds reach about 60kb/s but upload speed never goes above 12kb/s.
    Tested connection on http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php, and got 887kb/s download and 84.8kb/s upload and general http downloading reaches 100kb/s.
    Does anyone know if eircom is throttling bittorrent. I know that IBB seem to be doing it for random ppl in random areas. Anyone else experiencing this in Louth?
    Thanks,
    Al.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Many possible factors...

The limits could be set in Azureuz (I suggest uTorrent BTW, much better)
    Your only set for 1MB if it says in on the router - ring Eircom to check your package.
    Your downloading from a public site most likely, they can take ages to speed up.
    The torrent could be fake, I've see this numerous times
    Set a static IP address on your router and then add the port numbers above 10000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Could be some of the ports blocked on the router. Some of the bittorrent clients use a range of ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

auggie2k wrote: »
    Many possible factors...

The limits could be set in Azureuz (I suggest uTorrent BTW, much better)
    Your only set for 1MB if it says in on the router - ring Eircom to check your package.
    Your downloading from a public site most likely, they can take ages to speed up.
    The torrent could be fake, I've see this numerous times
    Set a static IP address on your router and then add the port numbers above 10000

Azureus set to unlimited.
    1mb bb should still give me much quicker speeds.
    I moved from another provider to eircom, so I'm experienced with torrents, its not my first time using them. Yes it can take awhile to speed up but even after a full day its the same!
    The torrents aren't fake, they may be slow but they download eventually and work fine.
    A static ip is set on the router and the port number forwarded is 65432.

Any more advice? I'm stomped really. Hence the Eircom accusations! lol! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I never seem to get full speeds much on bittorent so i would have though 60kbps would be decent for a 1mb line ? If i get over 500kbps it doesn't seem to take that long so can't complain .

Edited because i ain't on Eircom but when i had it never got full speeds on bittorent either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

If eircom where throttling torrents not much you could as its illegal to download :-).

I agree with auggie, utorrent is better for download and i'd also check with eircom about speeds. If you checked the stats on router and its only syncing up aat 1MB, most likely your phoneline is c**P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

Barlow07 wrote: »
    If eircom where throttling torrents not much you could as its illegal to download :-).

I agree with auggie, utorrent is better for download and i'd also check with eircom about speeds. If you checked the stats on router and its only syncing up aat 1MB, most likely your phoneline is c**P.

Hey, not all torrents are illegal! Also i tried utorrent for a while but never really liked it as much as azureus. No support for plugins and no native linux support (i run ubuntu and win, but mainly ubuntu). Suppose its just personal preference. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

not all torrents are illegal

Advertisement