Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista and wireless (for the love of god please help)

• 26-10-2007 7:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

Bought a new laptop earlier today and didn't want to get Vista as I dont like change :)

Anyways, seems my reservations were right. After completing the first power up setup I cannot connect to my wireless router.

The laptop can see the network but when I click on connect it wont connect when I click on diagnose problem all vista says is "Make sure your computer is in range of the network" (which it obviously is as I'm using my old laptop to post here)

has anyone any ideas on what the problem is as i'm tearing my hair out and can't find anything in vista the way I could in XP :(:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wireless card turned on?

New latop so ensure whatever wireless deivce you have is turned on.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

What router are you using? What security is setup, WEP, WPA? I think if you disable it, you should be able to connect, it could just be security issue, change from WEP to WPA or WPA to WEP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

wireless card is on and can see the wireless network and have already disabled WEP on the router (which is a Belkin Netgear)

Vista just seems to keep telling me it's out of range but my XP machine right beside doesnt have a problem??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Wow, I was amazed with my Vista Laptop! Worked right out of the box. What version of Vista is it?

it's vista home premium (not impressed so far thats for sure. it could be just me but it seems everything settings wise has been moved an extra click away which is a pain in the ass)

• Advertisement

quick update, am now managing to connect to my router but am getting limited connectivity. anyone know why this is as my other laptop beside me is not suffering the same problem?

would really appreciate the help guys

Its your wireless not getting a IP address from the router, if you check in dos your IP address probably starts with 169. I would connect up with the ethernet cable and try update the wireless drivers, failing that i would try change the channel on the router.

I had the same issue myself with Vista Ultimate, but it worked after changing the channel, trial and error though.

just updated wireless drivers there using ethernet and am now posting from my new lappie.

cheers Barlow07 my headache seems to be fading already, much appreciated :)

Broaband is mess in this country without having to deal with wireless issue's as well. I know a few who have the same issue, usually though they would be using the Belkin or Netgear wireless adapter.

Glad i could, enjoy the weekend now ;-).

Advertisement