Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car wont start, what to do now?

Options
  • 26-10-2007 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Tried to start my car(Toyota Avensis 2002) at work this evening, lights came on, on the dash. Waited for engine to warm (diesel) and then tried to start. Nothing.... Car was dead then. Nothing at all. No lights on dash or car would not lock from the button on keys had to put key in the door to lock it.

Its like a fuse went and there was no electrical power int the car.

Now who should i call to get somebody to come take a look on a Saturday morning? Car is left in works car park in city center.

Anybody able to advise ?

Many thanks

-Set

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 26dublin

Are u member of AA?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

try it with jumpleads and see if it's the battery. unlikely to be a main fuse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd say the battery's dead but for the lights came on. You need to check and see it the headlights come on, this will tell you if the battery's dead. The car wouldn't have locked because there wasn't enough power to drive the solenoids closed.

Jump-leads if it is the battery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

I'd say the battery's dead but for the lights came on. You need to check and see it the headlights come on, this will tell you if the battery's dead. The car wouldn't have locked because there wasn't enough power to drive the solenoids closed.

Jump-leads if it is the battery :)

Not a member of AA.

I doubt battery suddenly died!

Car didnt even try start... just went suddenly dead as soon as i turned past the
    point on the ignition that turns over the engine. Its like something went. (Hence
    me thinking it could be the fuse).

I've started cars before that have a dead/weak battery and wasnt like what i have experienced before.

Are the AA the best option? Would have guessed they might be expensive!

make sure battery terminals are tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Id suggest as colm did... you may have a poor battery connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Woody_FX wrote: »
    I doubt battery suddenly died!

It happens - every day of the week.

In any event, the battery is the first port of call for a diagnosis of your problem.

Ok i shall got mess about with the battery connections! See if they are loose!

If i cant manage to get it fixed is there anybody you guys would recommend i call? Maybe somebody not to expensive since i am skint!

Thanks
    -Set

where are you based?

check in fuse box for blown main fuses, they're see-through so easy to spot, although I still doubt that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It's unlikely (but not impossible) that the battery just died totally. AFAIK there is a main fuse in the Avensis, that all power from the battery with the exception of the LT lead to the starter goes through. It sounds as though it could be this.

I had exactly the same situation as yours with a corolla a while ago.

If you can, attach it to another car or battery using jump leads. If it shows some attempt to start it's likely the battery. If its still dead as a dodo, then start looking towards the main fuse.

I think the main fuse is in the fuse compartment in the engine bay, but refer to your manual. Post back if you dont have a manual.

• Advertisement

I dont have a manual >.<

Just got the car 2nd hand about 2 weeks ago so not even that familiar where everything is in it.

I'm not scared to try and fix it though so if you can give some instructions how to try fix it and i will go give them a shot! :)

I will check battery connections and check the fuses...

If a fuse is gone can swap the fuses about to get the car started before replacing the fuse?

some of the bigger fuses are a pain to change as they require the fuse box to be unbolted, as they are bolted in from underneath as opposed to just pushed in. you'll spot a blown one very easily though.

There is a 50A "Main" fuse towards the back of the array of fuses in the engine compartment fusebox right beside the battery. Check this one.

You should also check the others, the fuses generally have clear tops so you can see if the fuse is blown.

I don't think there's any spare 50A fuse so if this is it, you'll have to make a trip to the toyota dealer I'm afraid.

I would expect (but I'm not sure) that these fuses there are just push in, rather than bolted from the bottom.

Hope you get it sorted.

Avns1s wrote: »
    aid.

I would expect (but I'm not sure) that these fuses there are just push in, rather than bolted from the bottom.

Hope you get it sorted.

Pretty sure they don't give a spare fuse either. It's not uncommon for Toyotas to have bolt in fuses BTW, can't remember what old shape Avensis's had though.

Spare Toyota fuses are usually available from motor factors.

If it turns out to be a fuse, that's when the fun starts....

colm_mcm wrote: »

If it turns out to be a fuse, that's when the fun starts....

That's definitely possible but I know when it happened my Corolla, it didn't have any apparent cause and never happened subsequently so hopefully.

You're probably right about buying from the motor factors too. I tend to religiously go to the toyota dealer.... I know.... more money (I wish) than sense!!

Ah, I'd be all for getting parts from Toyota dealers of course, but not many will be open for the bank holiday weekend.

(those fuses are quite cheap anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Had this problem in a honda before and it was duff terminal connections. It would light up the dash and the second you turned the key, everything went off- absolutely nothing. Wiggle the cables and it would leap back into life.

I think (hope) the OP tried this a few hours ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

If it was my car I would first get hold of a can of WD40 and spray liberally under the bonnet, especially the battery poles and around the spark plugs, then wait a few minutes for the spray to drive out any moisture. WD40 has saved my day on several occations.

I'm guessing (from my own experience) that maybe the spark plugs need changing but bear in mind I don't consider myself a car expert.

When was the last time the car had a service?

Way off Sabre man,(apart from the battery poles bit!) nothing else on the car works, which sugests a main fuse, terminal's loose or the battery's goosed.

It's also a diesel, so finding the spark plugs may take some time...

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the tips!

If i did call the AA would they have a spare fuse with the guy they send out?

I'll head off first thing in the morning on my push-bike to see if i can get it running :)

Will update how it went after!

Cheers
    -Set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

You need to know if the battery is fully charged. It doesn't have to be entirely depleted ("dead") as some people are saying, it may have not been charging properly (dodgy alternator, plugs, leads) and also if if you have been making lots of short trips, it's likely to deep-cycle charge and not have enough juice to start the engine (but it will have enough to do lights or say radio, car alarm).

What are the specs of your battery and what type of journeys do you make?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Woody_FX wrote:
    If i did call the AA would they have a spare fuse with the guy they send out?
    Set, to call the AA out, you have to have been a member for at least 24 hours. You have to pay an annual fee. Also, for them to respond to a call where the car is at your home address, I think you need to have an upgraded membership.

Not your ornery onager

No i am not a member of the AA.

So i cant call them anyways and pay a fee?

My car is left in work carpark in dublin 6.

If i can call The AA anybody able to recommend a mechanic or some company who provides this service?

Thanks Set :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

I'll give you a dig out if you need. PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

U will find its a battery issue here.

Well Woody, did you get it started and what was the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

For a tenner you could buy a multimeter in Maplins and check to see what voltage you have on the battery. Any less than 12 volts would indicate a problem there.

Advertisement