Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre feathering on an otherwise perfect car - offload?

Options
  • 26-10-2007 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I've had wheel alignment and balancing done but it seems the camber is too far off to be routinely fixed.

This is starting to annoy me, I'm going through a set of front tyres every 7-8 months (probably should replace earlier truth be told) due to outside feathering, the rear tires are fine.

The car apart from that is brilliant, nothing ever breaks, its totally reliable and as a result I'm putting up with the rubber replacement far more often than I should.

Its a 05' 1.4L Fabia Ambiente Tdi with about 100K (kilometers on the clock) and i really don't want to have to sell it on.

While the fuel economy isnt bad I feel this feathering probably means she could be doing better.

Should I just sell it on?, or is this fixable without major expenditure? (ie if its less than 1K ..I'd almost just get it done and drive the car until she dies..she's that reliable in every other way).

What do you reckon?, keeping in mind I've already tried alignment and balancing?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have you had your suspension/steering checked for damage? It sound like something may be bent or strained from pothole or kerb damage.

What is the kilometer interval for your tyre replacement - time is not the way to measure tyre replacement. Distance is a better indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It still sounds like an alignment issue as both tyres are wearing on the outside. Have you tried bringing it somewhere different?

Certainly shouldn't have much to do with camber. There could be something bent as crosstownk says or bushings could be worn but that should be so severe at that mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, I've no idea what the milage allowance per tyre is to be honest.
    I suppose a second opinion isn't a bad idea, I'll mention it to the mechanic next time I get her serviced.
    I strongly suspect pothole damage at some point, have hit many bloody potholes in the last couple of years, its never been in an accidant or bump of any kind.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Longfield wrote: »
    Thanks, I've no idea what the milage allowance per tyre is to be honest.
    What he means is how long did your last tyres last in miles/kms? (as opposed to in time)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ahh right, sorry for being such a thicko :o

Probably about 15,000 km is what I'm getting out of them, I'd say to be honest they really should be changed at the 13K mark if I was being very safety minded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

who told you i was caused by camber? If its a camber problem, it would suggest as already said, damage to suspension component

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

crosstownk wrote: »
    Have you had your suspension/steering checked for damage? It sound like something may be bent or strained from pothole or kerb damage.

What is the kilometer interval for your tyre replacement - time is not the way to measure tyre replacement. Distance is a better indicator.

Yep, I hit a wopper pole hole in Meath that busted 2 rims. The camber on my front left is about 1 deg more than the front right.

Advertisement