Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how long to learn

Options
  • 26-10-2007 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭

alrite folks have a bit of a strange question.my younger sister has got in a mad panic about these new/rules changes to the law.she wants to learn how to drive now that she hears all the stuff about the changes happening she is insured in d mams car.i brought her to a business park tonite and drove about trying to show her d basics but she aint got a clue.she thinks she will be grand within 6 months or so to do her test.i told her it was about a year before i went driving on my own and another year before i did my test(i passed 1st time).so the question is how long did it take people to learn?i think wot i told her would be about the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

You can learn the mechanics of driving in under 5 hours quite easily.

However some people are under the impression that learning stops with lessons. A good driver spends their life learning as they drive, learning from mistakes. I know I've made a few clangers since I got my full licence and the important thing is to remember and learn as you go a long.

But I guess the answer you are looking for is you could pass your driving test in under 10 hours tuition. I know from a friend who is an instructor that he has had drivers that have passed in under 10, however he strongly advises them to take more lessons to be really trained properly though and to be very careful as they build up experience.

Although they might now hold a licence hes very wary about advising them to drive on their own so soon. He seems to think around 20 hours with a qualified instructor (including pretest lessons) is a good aim along with several months driving before aiming for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I passed the Category D (bus) test with 5 lessons. The only time I ever drove a bus before the test was during those 5 lessons but I suppose I had passed several others categories prior to that.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

You can learn the mechanics of driving in under 5 hours quite easily.

That certainly sounds right. I've had 3 lessons so far and have got the hang of the mechanics.

Spotting the other nutters out there without help from the left seat and navigating unfamiliar roads while driving are still beyond me though.
    But I guess the answer you are looking for is you could pass your driving test in under 10 hours tuition. I know from a friend who is an instructor that he has had drivers that have passed in under 10, however he strongly advises them to take more lessons to be really trained properly though and to be very careful as they build up experience.

Although they might now hold a licence hes very wary about advising them to drive on their own so soon. He seems to think around 20 hours with a qualified instructor (including pretest lessons) is a good aim along with several months driving before aiming for the test.

Another 17 hours of instruction sounds OK to me. A lot of money, but nothing compared to the kind of money the bloody insurers want. :rolleyes:

The problem I have is the "several months driving before aiming for the test". I don't have a fully-licensed driver available to accompany me for more than about 3 hours a month. I don't think that would be enough to gain me enough experience to pass the test. Paying an instructor to make up the rest of the time is probably rather expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 markirish22

I learned to drive in two days after never being in the drivers seat of a car and passed my test the day after them two days lessons. Was a british license with the armed forces so if i could do that is possible for anyone else if try hard enough. Within the next month had also passed three advance driving courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

it's hard to say how long it will take for anyone to learn. I got slated on here a while back for saying i thought i was a safe driver after a week. everyone was saying it's impossible to drive safely after a week.

If your sister hasn't got a clue about driving now it might take her longer to pick up the basics. How did she progress in the time that you drove with her? did she pick up the machanics of driving the car quickly? if so she might have a chance if she had trouble controlling the car after a few hours in it she may struggle.

My fiancees friend started driving the same time as me, about 15 months ago, I've passed my test since, while according to my fiancee her friend is still struggling to control the car and isn't in s fit state to pass her test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement