Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Ever Complain ??

• 26-10-2007 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Do you complain when you get bad service or pay for something that turns out to be crap.

If I get a bad pint in a pub, I won't hesitate to bring it back, sometimes I get the Hairy Eyeball from the Barman, but I don't give a F**k ! @ 4:70Euro odd a pint I refuse to pay for P*ss.

The Same goes for Mc Donalds, for example. I don't go there that often but it really gets my goat up when you pay for a Big Mac Meal thats been siting there for an hour (cold fries & a burger bun thats rock hard)

In my experience people rarely complain in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tbh, I'm ashamed that I'm guilty of what most Irish people do. :o
    I don't complain at the time and then I badmouth the place to everyone.

What I will say from working in hotels is if you are going to complain then talk to the corrrect person.
    I've had people bawl at me "wtf, €4.50 for a pint of Guinness?". I was part-time bar staff, what am I supposed to do about it? :mad:

So when complaining about price or no stock then don't complain to the teenager serving serving you, talk to management.
    That's how they earn their money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

marcsignal wrote: »
    In my experience people rarely complain.

You obviously don't spend much time on After Hours then. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

You obviously don't spend much time on After Hours then. :D
    ha ha, well true, you've got me there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Duzy

Be very careful when you complain as you might end up eating or drinking alot of snot!! Some people don't take too kindly to being F***ed out of it. I agree with you though, Irish people don't complain enough hence all the rip offs but just be careful how you complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I complained about raw chips once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

I think in the last ten years irish people complain about almost anything and everything. I'm no saint myself, but i hear of some of the c**p and just cant believe what i hear when they moan. I have a couple of friends who work in customer care departments and the story's i've heard about complaints about some of most silly things, they must have nothing better to do.

I always say you pay for what you get full stop. I've seening people going away on cheap holidays and buying cheap cars and complaining the all time. The OP goes to Macdonalds, whats he expect? I've been a few times and never expect much myself, which is why i never get disappointed. Yes i compalin myself, but come on, this country and its people where known years ago for been friendly and non judgemental, not anymore, its getting worse. The dart on monday, full of people having a moan for one.

Duzy wrote: »
    I agree with you though, Irish people don't complain enough hence all the rip offs but just be careful how you complain.

very true, I'm never abusive, i have to say, but I usually don't let it go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

As a lounge girl/waitress I can tell ya now...complain about the food whether it's cleary ****e or not the chefs will p*ss in your food! :p

I never complain because I think it is rude. I just never go back if something sucks.
    I see so many people going absolutley nuts over nothing when shopping in Dublin in the last fews years. Really unpleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I never complain because I think it is rude. I just never go back if something sucks.
    I see so many people going absolutley nuts over nothing when shopping in Dublin in the last fews years. Really unpleasant.

Moonbady i totally agree, its probably what puts me complaining :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

the weather is pretty bad at the moment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

No tip and never return.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Moonbaby wrote: »

I was queuing up in Oasis yesterday to pay for something and this girl in front of me was giving the assistant a really hard time. She was buying a jumper, reduced from 80 euro to 14 euro, yet she wanted it reduced further because a thread was pulled. Assistant was trying to tell her that's why it was reduced in the first place but she just stood there staring the poor girl out of it.

For gods sake, if you don't like the price, don't bring it to the till. Grr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Bunch of moany *****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

HATE cold Mc Donalds. There is one here that is notorious for doing it. Wouldnt go near the place with a bargepole. Friend of mine got food poisioning from the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Yes, I complain when the situation warrants it. You can complain and be polite at the same time. In fact, you get a much more satisfactory response when you complain in a polite manner. Most complaints are simple enough errors and very easy to rectify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    As a lounge girl/waitress I can tell ya now...complain about the food whether it's cleary ****e or not the chefs will p*ss in your food! :p

You disgust me.

I've worked in a fair few Food places (Pizza Shops, Delis, "Restaurant"), and if I seen someone do anything to the food like that I'd have reported their asses straight away.

You may as well be p1ssing in the food yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Sick fcuks, id report them full stop nothing funny about it, serious health risk there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What sort of scum ridden hole of a place do you work in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

im irish i dont do confrontation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I complain about bad service or someone who is very rude to me or if I think I've been swindled in some way - not at restaurants, I'd rather just leave & write a letter to the management when I get home. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Duzy wrote: »
    Be very careful when you complain as you might end up eating or drinking alot of snot!! .

Ever seen the Bravo programs, about some of the stuff staff get up to while preparing food ? And most of it is before someone complains !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

If I get a bad pint in a pub, I won't hesitate to bring it back, sometimes I get the Hairy Eyeball from the Barman, but I don't give a F**k ! @ 4:70Euro odd a pint I refuse to pay for P*ss.

The Same goes for Mc Donalds, for example. I don't go there that often but it really gets my goat up when you pay for a Big Mac Meal thats been siting there for an hour (cold fries & a burger bun thats rock hard)

Question. Have you ever been on the other side of the counter/bar when a customer decides to complain or is just having a **** day and taking it out on you?

People do complain - but the few who do are ignorant in the way they go about it. -- > in my experience

I've had experience with this and was nearly put on probation in a previous job for refusing to stand there and take abuse (nothing less ) from a customer.
    The matter at hand could have been sorted in two or three short, polite sentences - but no, the employees of a store are beneath them and deserve the abuse ... apparently.

We're not conspiring against you. We didn't personally take the toy out of the box and break it before serving you. We didn't cram an un-useable note into the vending macine, you did. We didn't spill the pint over the bar, you did, and no you're not getting another one 'on the house' just because your drunk.

/rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No tip and never return.

Leave a 1c tip, it's a far bigger fúck you!

so i've stirred up a hornets nest then ??

i love boards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

so i've stirred up a hornets nest then ??

i love boards :D

Ha, you got me on a bad night is all ;)

ThatGuy wrote: »
    Question. Have you ever been on the other side of the counter/bar when a customer decides to complain or is just having a **** day and taking it out on you?

yes, I worked in <somewhere> for 6 years, EVERY customer is pissed off.
    People do complain - but the few who do are ignorant in the way they go about it. -- > in my experience

theres an asshole everywhere, i try not to be thick about it, unless i feel i'm being ripped off.
    I've had experience with this and was nearly put on probation in a previous job for refusing to stand there and take abuse (nothing less ) from a customer.
    The matter at hand could have been sorted in two or three short, polite sentences - but no, the employees of a store are beneath them and deserve the abuse ... apparently.
    fair play for not taking unwarrented abuse and standing your ground, if you were not responsible, I would do the same in your position.
    We're not conspiring against you. We didn't personally take the toy out of the box and break it before serving you. We didn't cram an un-useable note into the vending macine, you did. We didn't spill the pint over the bar, you did, and no you're not getting another one 'on the house' just because your drunk.

I try to just ignore drunks, but I understand where you're coming from there.

/rant over[/QUOTE]

i'm not meeting you for lunch, thats for sure :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I complain about bigger things, usually through letters etc
    [college, damaged goods...]

but if I got gank food or somethin like that, i'd complain on the spot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have left 1c tips before and then never returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

No,I don't complain. I used to work in a DIY store, where people would kill you for thngs that were *their own fault*. People can suck, if you're going to complain, then do it nicely, and make sure you have all facts etdc to back you up. I ca't stand confrontation or aggression. I tend to just leave if I'm annoyed

Mear wrote: »
    You disgust me.
    Steyr wrote: »
    Sick fcuks, id report them full stop nothing funny about it, serious health risk there.
    What sort of scum ridden hole of a place do you work in?
    i'm not meeting you for lunch, thats for sure :D

LOL! :D

I didn't mean literally now. haha if that was the case I would have thrown the job in completely and have had them closed down jesus. :)

But no, I have witnessed the odd thing, like for instance, on one occassion, the chef dropped a piece of cooked meat on the floor in the kitchen, he didnn't throw it out and put on a fresh piece, instead, he picked it up with his hand, ran it under the tap and placed it backon the pan for a split second to re-heat it! In all fairness tho, I don't agree with it....it's disgusting.

Moral of the story - Never eat at functions. :D

But heres one for ya now...anyone familiar with Aqua in Howth!? Lovely restaurant along the pier, well.......actually no I better not....ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

This threads too bright!! Turn the whiteness down....

daveirl wrote: »

Old mans shops with sales assistants maybe.
    But staff don't have the authority in Chain stores like Oasis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I do complain sometimes but I'm woefully inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

daveirl wrote: »

Because this item had obviously been reduced because of the thread pulled. Like she was getting it for less than a quarter if the original price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭in_da_club

Ruu wrote: »
    Have left 1c tips before and then never returned.
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If I have to complain, i do it nicely. (It is possible)

I don't do it when I'm at fault, for instance the woman who told me to 'F*** off' when I told her the queue was going the other way, or the woman who told me to 'have a nice day and try not to be too rude to the customers' when I told her that I had to charge her for a plastic bag. In fairness, I had turned to another sales assistant to clarify (it was a fruit and veg bag that she wanted to use for a tin of tuna, which was not its purpose so I had to charge her), so maybe she thought I was mocking her, but she was one of those people who think sales assistants are below them.

My mother is complainer of the year. She has turned complaint letter-writing into a fine art!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I don't do it when I'm at fault, for instance the woman who told me to 'F*** off' when I told her the queue was going the other way, or the woman who told me to 'have a nice day and try not to be too rude to the customers' when I told her that I had to charge her for a plastic bag. In fairness, I had turned to another sales assistant to clarify (it was a fruit and veg bag that she wanted to use for a tin of tuna, which was not its purpose so I had to charge her), so maybe she thought I was mocking her, but she was one of those people who think sales assistants are below them.

ah that was a bit mean! we all take fruit n veg bags the odd time!

i sent a pro active complaint to o2 a few days ago which they havent replied to yet and im willing to kick up a fuss.

they give speakeasy customers great offers like o2 friends and o2 freedom both dont do the same for billpay. Crowd of cowboys!

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    ah that was a bit mean! we all take fruit n veg bags the odd time!

Policy of the shop man, point is if she has a problem with the levy then we all know who she should be really complaining to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

And why are you not bringing this to the attention of the General Manager? That, in my opinion, makes you just as bad. As for bad service, yes, I would complain. But I would refuse a replacement if I cannot see where it is being prepared. I would inform the manager that the food is unaccptable get a refund or refuse to pay and leave.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Trojan911 wrote: »
    And why are you not bringing this to the attention of the General Manager? That, in my opinion, makes you just as bad. As for bad service, yes, I would complain. But I would refuse a replacement if I cannot see where it is being prepared. I would inform the manager that the food is unaccptable get a refund or refuse to pay and leave.

TJ911...

Trojan, I suggest you read all the comments before posting...

I used to never complain, just bitch about service afterwards. But now I do complain if something's not up to scratch.
    If I don't get the service or product I've paid for, I complain.
    But there are right and wrong ways to do it.

I always tell the person I'm not having a go at them personally and keep my voice pleasant but firm, particularly when it's over the phone.

Likewise, people who are complained to can handle it badly also.
    At one stage I had a job in which I dealt directly with people and they sometimes had to air a grievance.
    Being hostile or actually arguing back with a complainer is the worst thing you can do.
    Telling someone you understand what they're saying, nodding and telling them what you can do about it within your capabilities will placate 99% of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Trojan, I suggest you read all the comments before posting...

I did. It is the way you emphasised the "will" in bold that convices me this is true. I do not believe you in your later post. It smacks of a back track.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭A racy brainrot

The only thing i've ever complained about is chocolate. With reason of course. There are times when a chocolate bar is half empty, all air, or something similar. I got sent a lot of chocolate and an apology note in return. I was pretty content.

The only thing i've ever complained about is chocolate. With reason of course. There are times when a chocolate bar is half empty, all air, or something similar. I got sent a lot of chocolate and an apology note in return. I was pretty content.

Ya, my sister's friends (students!!) managed to get boxes of chocolate bars, cases of soft drinks, etc by complaining.

Only thing I ever got was a money off voucher for Tayto. :(

Trojan911 wrote: »
    I did. It is the way you emphasised the "will" in bold that convices me this is true. I do not believe you in your later post. It smacks of a back track.

TJ911...

TBH Trojan, it doesn't bother me if you believe me or not, I'm simply commenting on a story and telling a story of my own. I said previously I don't agree with it but that's neither here nor there. Working last night again I witness pint glasses running low with no time to wash more as it was all go go go so the bartender pulls a pint in a filthy (just used) pint glass. That's not my problem. Just simply a story. So chill!

TBH Trojan, it doesn't bother me if you believe me or not, I'm simply commenting on a story and telling a story of my own. I said previously I don't agree with it but that's neither here nor there. Working last night again I witness pint glasses running low with no time to wash more as it was all go go go so the bartender pulls a pint in a filthy (just used) pint glass. That's not my problem. Just simply a story. So chill!

Where do you work???

• Advertisement
Advertisement