Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont believe the online line test

Options
  • 26-10-2007 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Was in my neighbours house today and happened to mention the usual moan about not been able to get broadband. He then mentioned that when eircom rang to beg him to come back he insisted on broadband. Despite being told for years the line wasnt suitable hey presto he has broadband. Apparently despite what the online test says the phone line on our road is suitablem. Will be on the phone in the morning talking nicely to eircom!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Eircom have made improvments in recent months to lines in relation to DSL availability, now they';ll send out engineers for lines thats are now classed as 50/50 that were previously classed as unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Maybe your neighbour's just one of the few who, knowing eircom, this is the circumstance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mdfireng

yep true to form Eircom informed me that my line wasnt suitable even though the guy less than 20m away (who is further from the exchange) can get it.

However, the girl I spoke to today was really helpful and advised I should just order a new line specifically for Broadband and then cancel the old one. The exchange is enabled but they still wont guarantee 100% that the new line will be ok but she spoke to the technician to ensure they were aware what it was for. Can only give it a go as everything else has failed.

Know a local eircom technician so I will see if he can help also

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's possible your line is stuck on a pairgain, where it's split between 2 or more homes. If an engineer came out and took your line off the pair-gain, you'd have a hope.

What's your current dial-up speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

Cabaal wrote: »
    Eircom have made improvments in recent months to lines in relation to DSL availability, now they';ll send out engineers for lines thats are now classed as 50/50 that were previously classed as unavailable.

Only after months of poor fvkcers like me sending letters and phoning them everday back in 2005. I'm surprised Eircom BB hasn't gone bankrupt due to the amount of customers that had no option but to go elsewhere for BB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Cushtie

byte wrote: »
    It's possible your line is stuck on a pairgain, where it's split between 2 or more homes. If an engineer came out and took your line off the pair-gain, you'd have a hope.

What's your current dial-up speed?

got a line installed and specifically told the person I was ordering it off of that I would be looking to get DSL as the exchane is enabled and my neighbour 100 yds up the road can get dsl no probs. they still did what is described above:mad:.

Luckly I know a person in Eircom who is going to try and sort it out for me, fingers crossed.;)

Can't belive I had to pay to get a line installed before they could tell me it was unsuitable for DSL but thats a story for another day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

They are not allowed to connect you to a pairgain without your explicit permission, even if it means you don't get a phone line. If you haven't already, complain to them about this and look for your €130 odd install charge back.

If this recently took place, I wouldn't be too hopeful for that fella in eircom sorting out the line for you. Nowadays they don't use pairgains for no good reason, but it sounds like the engineer was lazy and *might* have done this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Cushtie wrote: »
    got a line installed and specifically told the person I was ordering it off of that I would be looking to get DSL as the exchane is enabled and my neighbour 100 yds up the road can get dsl no probs. they still did what is described above:mad:.

Luckly I know a person in Eircom who is going to try and sort it out for me, fingers crossed.;)

Can't belive I had to pay to get a line installed before they could tell me it was unsuitable for DSL but thats a story for another day

I think my line was on that, couldn't get broadband for years and I only had 14.4kbps dial up speed, couldn't use the internet for last 4 years at home as bandwith was increasing every page had more content/graphics and it would take 2/3 minutes to load.

Anyway, last year they dug up roads in my area (not estate, down the town) and put in fibre. Then I was able to get broadband of most companies, BT Eircom etc and ICE Wireless also. I f*cked off o BT anyway because I never found Eircom helpful in trying to provide a solution. When I ordered BT broadband an engineer came out to the manhole outside my house for a few minutes done something and went on his way. I think he took me off the shared line and I have no problems with it now.

Maybe try a different provider like BT. Once you get it set up it works fine most of the time.

Advertisement