Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drum Machines?

Options
  • 26-10-2007 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Any one know off any good software?

Something kind of similar to what is used by Radiohead/NIN. I can't find anything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Do you look at synthopia.com or harmony-central.com ??

They're great for news and reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

any soft sampler will do, but youll need the source material to be right first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Dr. Fusion 2 is a good bet for a free VST drum plugin. Check www.kvraudio.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

I use Native Intsruments drum sampler which is called Battery.
    Im not saying its the best but Iv used it for years and it suites my needs perfectly.
    Sur theres no harm in checking it out anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

Redegg wrote: »
    Any one know off any good software?

Something kind of similar to what is used by Radiohead/NIN. I can't find anything!

I use Beatcraft myself. Pretty basic but you can do a lot with it, and its effects are pretty handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 charlesquinn

Anyone here use any hardware machines? Im looking at a Machinedrum SPS-UW, I want one, but damn they're overpriced. Has anyone seen any second hand per chance? Or know of any good second-hand instrument resource where i might find one? Other than SOS/ebay..

If you feel like playing your drums free, MPC style, i would definately recommend Battery, along with some drum trigger interface like an Akai MPD 24. If programming more complex rhythms is your thing, reaktor is your one stop shop. While it does indeed have quite a steep learning curve (Reaktor Core), it has plenty of pre-built ensembles for drum programming, my favourite being Massive.

Anyone here use any hardware machines? Im looking at a Machinedrum SPS-UW, I want one, but damn they're overpriced. Has anyone seen any second hand per chance? Or know of any good second-hand instrument resource where i might find one? Other than SOS/ebay..

tbh ive always found hw drum machines to be somewhat limited

samplers are the way forward for that kinda thing imo

I know what you mean, however, limiting is exactly what i need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Rebirth is a free download from Propellerheads which has 2 drum machines on it which are easily programmed for 4/4 loops

ReBirth emulates two Roland TB-303 synthesizers, a Roland TR-808 and Roland TR-909 drum machines at once and its free

• Advertisement

I know what you mean, however, limiting is exactly what i need!

haha i get like that sometimes myself actually

was weighing up a drum machine before i went for an akai mpc4000 instead tho

Helix wrote: »
    haha i get like that sometimes myself actually

was weighing up a drum machine before i went for an akai mpc4000 instead tho

My lust for hardware almost led me down that road too, instead i settled for an MPD 24, battery and ableton.

The thing that is attractive about the Machinedrum SPS-UW is that, as well as being a badass drum sequencer with faithful emulations of all the classic Roland, EMU, Simmons machines, it's also a sampler.

Hmmm..now that i think about it, that's not limiting at all! Maybe I should just buy a Djembe and start from there..

This kid knows what's up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZhAxbAx72U

My lust for hardware almost led me down that road too, instead i settled for an MPD 24, battery and ableton.

The thing that is attractive about the Machinedrum SPS-UW is that, as well as being a badass drum sequencer with faithful emulations of all the classic Roland, EMU, Simmons machines, it's also a sampler.

Hmmm..now that i think about it, that's not limiting at all! Maybe I should just buy a Djembe and start from there..

samplers are grand, far more versatile than your regular joe drum machine

hardware is bloody great tho, but so is software

once you have a nice balance its grand... says he with 11 hardware synths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I used to LOOOOOVE my Alesis SR-16. A classic still out there doing the rounds.

Advertisement