Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me - MC WTF

Options
  • 26-10-2007 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

OK. My background is in MS middleware/SDKs, device drivers and similar on Linux. I'm moving continent (Perth, Australia) in the next 5/6 months and I need to 'burn up' on some more trendy stuff. I was pitching myself at MCAD and have started some training in my own time but MS seem to be rendering that somewhat redundant by pointing people to MCSD and MCTP.

Should I pursue the MCAD or ditch it for MCSD/MCTP? The MCAD appealed to me because I did start some hobby projects with Web Developer Studio etc. and I thought that MCSD was too big of a leap. I reckon I'll need to go through the MCAD courseware anyway to get to MCSD but if some wisened old/young pro's could guide me in this regard, I can at least set my targets now.

May the Fortran be with you
    (No, I'm not that old)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

THe MCAD exam is still valid. You could do 4 exams and get 4 certifications

THe MCAD is 3 exams which gives MCP & MCAD certification at the end. With one of the upgrade exams you could get the MCTS for the chosen spec and the MCPD for the discipline as well.

So rather than heading to MCPD which is 3 exams and 2 certs you could do 4 exams and get 4 certs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Thanks Ginger. I understand that MCAD is still recognised but was just wondering if it was still relevant. I guess it'd be nice to have an extra piece of paper and that I can upgrade.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

The MCPD is still fairly new and a lot of employers arent aware of it as much as they would be of the MCAD. And anyone who has the MCAD can shift up to .net 2.0 with ease.

Advertisement