Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did anybody know this?

• 26-10-2007 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

"Dublin was originally called Dubh Linn meaning Black Pool? The pool to which the name referred is the oldest known in Northern Europe and currently forms the centre-piece of the penguin enclosure in Dublin Zoo."
    I knew the Dubh Linn stuff, but the penguins bit? Please tell me it's true! :confused::D

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Last time I saw the penguin enclosure in Dublin zoo was a crappy little plastic pond, could be wrong though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

The Dubh Linn bit is right but I thought the pool was part of the Liffey probably upstream of the modern city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Source?

http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/TriviaDidyouknow.html
    Some really silly stuff there, like 'In 1986, a 900 year old cheese was found perfectly preserved, in a Tipperary bog' or 'To have good health in the coming year, you should eat an apple on Christmas Eve' Good thing we have the Yanks around, to remind us of our heritage :rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

The original name was Dubh Linn which was changed to Duvlinia by the Vikings and later anglicised to Dublin.

Baile Atha Cliath means Town of the hurdle ford. This was because the original bridge crossing the Liffey was built on floating hurdles instead of the poles actually being sunk into the riverbed of the Liffey.

Also there used to be five provinces in Ireland, Meath and Westmeath were the province of Meath which were much later split into two counties and merged with Leinster....

That concludes tonights history lesson:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

very interesting, the thing about the west-link bridge and earthquakes is very interesting indeed.

but 10% of county roscommon is brazilian, what?? i don't think i ever met a brazilian, where are they are hiding???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

That site is uber-annoying due to the question marks they put after every statement that they make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

rossie1977 wrote: »
    very interesting, the thing about the west-link bridge and earthquakes is very interesting indeed.

but 10% of county roscommon is brazilian, what?? i don't think i ever met a brazilian, where are they are hiding???

35% of the population of Gort in Galway is Brazilian or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

"Dublin was originally called Dubh Linn meaning Black Pool? The pool to which the name referred is the oldest known in Northern Europe and currently forms the centre-piece of the penguin enclosure in Dublin Zoo."
    I knew the Dubh Linn stuff, but the penguins bit? Please tell me it's true! :confused::D

As I understand it the back pool is where the Poddle river enters the Liffey. Which is near enough at the millennium bridge, you can see the opening in the quay wall on the south side. So that and the pond in the Phoenix Park being man made would strongly suggest :) this isn't true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

rossie1977 wrote: »
    but 10% of county roscommon is brazilian,
    No you mis-read that, quoted in full its says "10% of Co. Roscommon have a Brazilian, 10% have a Hollywood and the other 80% are run-of-the-mill hairy arsed culchies."

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    No you mis-read that, quoted in full its says "10% of Co. Roscommon have a Brazilian, 10% have a Hollywood and the other 80% are run-of-the-mill hairy arsed culchies."

well, I'm one of the 80% :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Lizzykins wrote: »
    The Dubh Linn bit is right but I thought the pool was part of the Liffey probably upstream of the modern city centre.
    I heard that myself, because the liffey water was brackish it looked almost black.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The pool was formed where the Poddle met/meets the Liffey.

Baile Átha Cliath was another settlement, a little further up the river.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

One of the great gaffes in social history took place at Stormont in the 1920s? During an important function, Northern Ireland minister Dawson Bates - who was in attendance with his wife and son - entered the main hall. As the party made their way towards the gathered dignitaries, they were grandly announced "the honourable Dawson Bates, his wife, Lady Bates, and their son Master Bates." (We're not kidding - this really happened!)
    he he he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

What a ropey set of facts, such as this -

'Dublin's O'Connell Bridge was originally made of rope and could only carry one man and a donkey at a time? It was replaced with a wooden structure in 1801. The current concrete bridge was built in 1863 and was first called "Carlisle Bridge".'

Such guff. Rope bridge, wooden structure, concrete??? Someone is taking the piss. Some actual facts from Archiseek:

Originally designed and built by James Gandon, O'Connell Bridge was built in 1794-98 and named aftyer the then Viceroy - Lord Carlisle. The original bridge had a hump and was much narrower and Gandon had designed obelisks and plinths for the four corners. In 1880 it was widened and the hump removed - it is now almost square - being as wide as it is long. In 1882 it was renamed after Daniel O'Connell when the statue in his honour was unveiled. Recently the lamps that graced the central island have been restored to their five lantern glory.

Dubh linn translates directly as Cesspool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I thought the original black pool was somewhere near where Trinity college is now...? Well, thats what our Primary school teacher said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Dubh linn translates directly as Cesspool.

What?

Dubh is clearly the Irish for Black.

http://www.irish-sayings.com/cats/irishwords/colours/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I know everything, thats right, everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

The Irish for a black poll would be "linn dubh", due to adjectives following the nouns as Gaeilge.

Some research....

• Advertisement

obl wrote: »
    The Irish for a black poll would be "linn dubh", due to adjectives following the nouns as Gaeilge.

Some research....
    Ah but, in Old Irish the order of the adjectives and nouns was less important.

Dubh Linn is perfectly cromulent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I thought the original black pool was somewhere near where Trinity college is now...? Well, thats what our Primary school teacher said.
    The original black pool is the park behind Dublin Castle and in front of the Chester Beaty Library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You can only call yourself a true Dubliner if you were born between the North and c Roads?

Can someone explain what this means? Whats the c Road?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No, it was up beside Dublin Castle.

But there was a lad drowned just out side the walls of Trinity back in the days when the sea was there.

You can only call yourself a true Dubliner if you were born between the North and c Roads?

Reckon it's a typo.

I'd say it means between the North Circular Rd and the SouthCR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

DesF wrote: »
    Ah but, in Old Irish the order of the adjectives and nouns was less important.

Dubh Linn is perfectly cromulent.

such knowledge embiggens us all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭in_da_club

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

longshanks wrote: »
    such knowledge embiggens us all

fecking cromwell coming over here taking our jobs and polluting our pools grrrrrr & stuff

If you have to ask then you are not a true Dubliner! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

According to old Irish folklore, if the tail of a herring is rubbed across the eyes of a child, it will give immunity against disease for the rest of the year.

Now to find a herring at 4.30am .............hmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You can only call yourself a true Dubliner if you were born between the North and [South Circular] Roads?

Total nonsense. Nobody can choose where they are born. Half the people born in Dublin's maternity hospitals are not Dubliners, let alone true blue Dubs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Might got to the zoo today so I'll check it out for you.

But I always though Dubh Linn referred to the Liffey entrance were the civic offices are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The first traffic lights in Dublin were installed at the junction of Merrion Square and Clare Street, on August 27, 1937

Dublin's oldest traffic light is situated beside the Renault garage in Clontarf? The light, which is still in full working order, was installed in 1893 outside the home of Fergus Mitchell who was the owner of the first car in Ireland.

Hmmmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Little wonder the world has such problems, when people from one country can rewrite the history of another and present it as fact :rolleyes: Imagine what American schoolbooks are like? We were shown some back in college and they were hilariously terrifying/ terrifyingly hilarious. I'm off to try and find a link!

kearnsr wrote: »
    Might got to the zoo today so I'll check it out for you.

But I always though Dubh Linn referred to the Liffey entrance were the civic offices are
    Isn't Dubh Linn under Dublin Castle?
    Quick check...
    In the area occupied by the present Dubhlinn (Castle) Gardens and Coach House, there was a sheltered harbour or dark pool, (on the Poddle), known as the Dubhlinn (dubh = black in Irish), from which Dublin gets its name.
    http://www.dublincastle.ie/history1.html

• Advertisement

noblestee wrote: »
    The first traffic lights in Dublin were installed at the junction of Merrion Square and Clare Street, on August 27, 1937

Dublin's oldest traffic light is situated beside the Renault garage in Clontarf? The light, which is still in full working order, was installed in 1893 outside the home of Fergus Mitchell who was the owner of the first car in Ireland.
    Hmmmm.....

Maybe it means street light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

man i wish i was living in america. THe outside would seem so much more interesting than it actually is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can only call yourself a true Dubliner if you were born between the North and south circuar Roads?

Me was born in the old Coombe.

Anyway it's meant to be between the canals, as they are much older than the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Me too, Capt you must be ancient. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fri_day

I always thought that the "black pool" in question referred to the trickle lake in the Chimpanzee enclosure in Dublin Zoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The pool refers to a pool in the river Poddle (now underground, streets were built over it) near where it joins the Liffey, round about Wood Quay.

There was a well, a medieval site of eh worship ruined when the Trinity Provost's garden was built, that's what the Trinity confusion is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Dubh Linn is that park by Dublin Castle that is shaped like a circle with all the footpaths in a pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

baraca wrote: »
    That site is uber-annoying due to the question marks they put after every statement that they make
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Good bump.

Me was born in the old Coombe.

Anyway it's meant to be between the canals, as they are much older than the roads.

who remembers the baino or the iveagh baths .

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Good bump.

:D

yeah can remember the Tara street baths

yeah can remember the Tara street baths
    yea i remember them to with your towel rolled up and under your arm all your mates with you we where easly amused back then:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

DesF wrote: »
    What?

Dubh is clearly the Irish for Black.

http://www.irish-sayings.com/cats/irishwords/colours/

Black as in dirty perhaps, It's probably not a direct translation.

Advertisement