Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Newbie] What to look for when buying a HD LCD TV?

• 27-10-2007 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,048 ✭✭✭✭

Not too knowledgable about the areas of LCD's and Plasma TV's.

But i'm planning on buying a 32" HD LCD TV in the next week or two. Been browsing around the 30" - 39" inch section on Komplett - see here!

What exactly should i be looking for? I know to look for resolution and an impressive contrast ratio. But with regards to the latter, there seems to be a huge difference between these with very little price difference. Or should i say it's quite inconsistent.

What i mean is take the following 3 models:

Sony Bravia 32" LCD-TV KDL-32U2530 (1200:1) - €719
    Samsung 32" LCD-TV LE32S86BD (7000:1) - €689
    Samsung 32" LCD-TV LE32R32B (2000:1) - €699

Each have the same resolution so i'm at a loss at what to look at next. Anyone fill me in at what exactly i should be looking for with these specs? Or recommend which of them is best, if even by specs alone (either in the above three or in the Komplett section)?

Am willing to pay between €650 and €750 really.. any recommendations welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Where are you getting 1600:1 for that second tv? It says 7000:1 on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,048 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry.. was looking at a LG TV at the same time that was 1600:1 so that's why probably why i wrote that down.

But it proves the point that it's inconsistent.

Would the 7000:1 aspect ratio make it the one to go for? Or is there anything else i should take into account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,410 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

firstly i wouldn't take much notice of the contrast ratio that are given by the manufacturer, different manufacturers will use different way to test contrast ratio, some more honest than other and really its not consistent.

I say either find a independent review (home cinema mags) that either measures the contrast ratio after the tv has been calibrated or tells you how good the picture quality is for each of the tv inputs.

You can have a look in dixons or powercity or did, to get a general idea of the picture quality, although this will depend on how the shop has the tv set up (or probably not set up). Things to look for, if the black level is black and not grey, how much detail in dark scenes. That the whites are not blown out, ie. that say a picture of a white t-shirt still has shades of white and not one big white blob. Are the colours natural. For fast moving scenes does the picture smear at all or can you see jagged edges instead of straight lines due to poor deinterlacing. plasma vs lcd is just something you have to decide on, should be plenty of online guides that tell you to pros and cons of each.

but just to say again you cant tell much from the tv specs with regards to what the picture quality of the tv will be like.

edit:
    just as example look at the reviews here http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=7286
    On the first page it gives the quoted contast ratio by the manufacturers, on the last page it give the contrast ratio measured by the magazine in their lab

Advertisement