Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak Shelves -where and how ?

Options
  • 27-10-2007 12:59am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have an alcove beside a chimney breast - about 800mm wide and cannot find any decent solid oak case.

example - second down on right
    http://www.computeraids.co.uk/new/PaintedShelves.htm

So, two questions.

where can I get oak planks (planed if possible) about 1" thick, and what depth would they come in.

and how can I mount these between the two solid walls without seeing any brackets that would hold them up?

edit - would it be easier to get/work with to use pine or deal and just stain ?
    Thx

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 moosetrax

As to where to get oak, try the yellow pages, I found a couple of suppliers in the Docklands area in Dublin last year with good prices and not requiring huge volumes.

As to how to install shelf without hardware showing try dowelling a rod into the wall (chemically anchoring same in place if possible) and then slipping the shelf over the rod (drill hole in shelf +/- 1mm bigger than rod) I've seen this used in past, looks great! If you are anchoring into a stud partition you will have to anchor into a stud.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi karltimber

This is what I did.

Bought some kitchen carcases 8 in all. 4 on each side.
    8 kitchen doors then painted by us.
    8 door handles

and then a 4mt oak top which I then cut down to match the alcove

and a kicker board

You will have to cut the carcases down at the back to fit the alcoves.
    Also teh oak top will have to be cut down.

All in all just over 1k for the lot (the oak top was expensive)

But I was quoted 4k for a chippy to do.

anyhow pic enclosed.

Garyh3

PS. It was from www.in-house.ie that I bought all the pieces

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

perfect garyh3

completely forgot about kitchen counter top as an oak shelf.

will see what type of oak they have in in-house.
    Will try and possibly put them in as floating shelves.

thanks again

also in navan,

Karl.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

If its just the top your looking for, I would shop around as in-house may be expensive on the oak tops.

Forgot to add. It very heavy wood and I doubt if you could get away with floating with this thinkness

Garyh3

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

maybe floating is the wrong term.

I was going to attach small sections of oak - 30mm sq * 300mm long onto the two walls and then recess the shelf and sit it on them.

Don't want to see any brackets etc.

will look around for some cheaper,

thx

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Wow Garyh3 thats great work! Inspiring

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's some zombie thread resurrection.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

11 years is definitely impressive!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Few different places you can get oak, only one that I know off will plane the planks, thats where I go

Strahan timber Block 3, Unit B4 - B5, Aerodrome Business Park ..

These people supply various sizes of Oak planks and plane them too, usually about 20 euro per plank for planing...

Second supplier is on the NAAS rd, Morgans timber, near the Luas depot.
    they have a good range, don't plane though

Abbey woods in Baldoyle ind est is the third supplier of hardwoods , they don't plane either.

Hope this helps

Rich

karltimber wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have an alcove beside a chimney breast - about 800mm wide and cannot find any decent solid oak case.

example - second down on right
    http://www.computeraids.co.uk/new/PaintedShelves.htm

So, two questions.

where can I get oak planks (planed if possible) about 1" thick, and what depth would they come in.

and how can I mount these between the two solid walls without seeing any brackets that would hold them up?

edit - would it be easier to get/work with to use pine or deal and just stain ?
    Thx

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Few different places you can get oak, only one that I know off will plane the planks, thats where I go

Strahan timber Block 3, Unit B4 - B5, Aerodrome Business Park ..

These people supply various sizes of Oak planks and plane them too, usually about 20 euro per plank for planing...

Second supplier is on the NAAS rd, Morgans timber, near the Luas depot.
    they have a good range, don't plane though

Abbey woods in Baldoyle ind est is the third supplier of hardwoods , they don't plane either.

Hope this helps

Rich

It would have been expensive to use solid oak - even back in 2007 :D
    Oak veneered MDF on the double would look identical giving a 36 mm edge You can get dedicated router bits to let in a solid edge nowadays giving an almost invisible solid edge. The original post asked about avoiding brackets - one option is to use 'T' bars screwed to the back wall and let into pre drilled holes in the shelves. Available from www.rockler.com unless your'e handy with a welder.

Advertisement