Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda forums?

Options
  • 27-10-2007 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any good Honda owners' forums in Ireland?
    Any good places or sites for parts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

www.hondadublin.com is the only Irish forum I'm aware of.

What sort of parts? Stock parts I usually get from a dealer or motor factors, but I once bought a set of Tenzo brake disks from Icetronix on the Naas Rd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

honda dublin is gone, dont thinks theres any good ones in ireland now., if its parts your after then try www.Icetronix.com they have loads of goof stuff for hondas.,

vtec wrote: »
    honda dublin is gone,
    So soon? jspeed.net is gone too I see, tho it was dying a slow death for a long time. One of the best forums I came across was is this one, but it's in the US. Loads of useful tech info there that applies to anything with a B16/B18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I wonder what the US Honda enthusiasts will think of a Type R diesel, since a Civic Type-R diesel is in the pipeline:confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

E92 wrote: »
    I wonder what the US Honda enthusiasts will think of a Type R diesel, since a Civic Type-R diesel is in the pipeline:confused:?

Guess it will be a high revving Diesel in that case :) oh just imagine the sound of a diesel revving to a 8000 Redline :)

• Advertisement

Well since diesels at best can't go beyond 5,500 rpm, it will bring a whole new meaning to the words 'high revving':D!

But yeah, I wonder what a diesel sounds like at 8,000 rpm(which is still pretty low, just think of F1 cars which can rev to 19,000 rpm and bikes which can go up to 16,000 rpm!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Heh, the existing Civic 2.2 iCTDI (which is not available in Ireland :rolleyes:) can apparently be easily remapped to 180-190bhp, bringing it fairly close to the petrol Type-R, with the benefit of all the diesel torque. A bunch of people over on civinfo.com got it done, they're calling it the Type-D :)

The Civic i-CTDi Type-R will have a new engine which is already Euro 5 compliant, and can be easily upgraded to Euro 6(apparantly Honda are working on it at the moment to make sure it will meet Euro VI sooner rather than later).

Its not the diesel currently in use by Honda.

I forgot to mention that Hondas new diesel is replacing the Hybrid Accord in the US.

diesels are really changing from what they used to be., audi won the le Mans with the only diesel on the race.,lol., strange huh.

E92, that new one would be the one they're dubbing D-TEC I think. They're ironing out the bugs at the moment (emissions are breaking the limits when the engine is floored), and will be the one that they'll be selling in all 50 US states.

I read an interview with Kenichi Nagahiro, the lad responsible for the Honda diesel engine (and also one of the lads behind VTEC along with Ikuo Kajitani who is considered the main man), and he was saying there was no reason why they couldn't have fitted VTEC to the diesel engine and had if rev to 8k. Tho I got the distinct impression from the interview that he isn't proud of his creation and still hates all diesel engines. He was the reason the Hate Something Change Something ads were created.

The Accord V6 Hybrid in the US hasn't been a good seller. Most people don't seem to be get the point of big engined hybrids (me inlcuded). The Accord Hybrid was a good deal quicker than the regular V6, but not much better on the juice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

www.dtdirl.com

loads of honda heads over there :D

JHMEG wrote: »
    E92, that new one would be the one they're dubbing D-TEC I think. They're ironing out the bugs at the moment (emissions are breaking the limits when the engine is floored), and will be the one that they'll be selling in all 50 US states.

I read an interview with Kenichi Nagahiro, the lad responsible for the Honda diesel engine (and also one of the lads behind VTEC along with Ikuo Kajitani who is considered the main man), and he was saying there was no reason why they couldn't have fitted VTEC to the diesel engine and had if rev to 8k. Tho I got the distinct impression from the interview that he isn't proud of his creation and still hates all diesel engines. He was the reason the Hate Something Change Something ads were created.

The Accord V6 Hybrid in the US hasn't been a good seller. Most people don't seem to be get the point of big engined hybrids (me inlcuded). The Accord Hybrid was a good deal quicker than the regular V6, but not much better on the juice.

Thats the one I'm on about.

To star in a Civic Type-R sooner rather than later.

You have to wonder if your man hates diesel so much why Honda are going to such great lengths to make sure they can offer the US a diesel in lieu of a Hybrid. And why Honda thinks diesel is good enough for a Type-R but doesn't think a Hybrid is.

And incidentally they don't think a Hybrid is good enough for the new NSX either(which won't be a Honda of course, now that Honda are going to be making Acura go global), despite saying/implying that the next NSX would be a Hybrid many times.

I mean I can understand why Honda feel the need to develop a diesel for Europe. Some countries like France have 70% of their new cars sold as diesels. And I think I'm right in saying that overall diesel is more popular than petrol in Europe(even the Germans now have reached 50:50 for the first time this year, and even the Brits are on 38% of new cars being sold as diesel). But why they need to go off and sell a diesel in lieu of a hybrid to the US confuses me. Like even with the advance of these new fancy diesels, they're still saying that in 2015 15% of new cars sold in the US will be diesel. Even though Merc are doing very well with their Bluetec E-class, its still only 20% of US E-class sales. I don't know how many Mercs in Europe are diesel, but since 2/3rds of BMWs sold in Europe are diesel, I'm sure it is a very similar and perhaps even a bit higher for Merc. As a comparison, only 16% of cars on our roads are diesel. At the moment, only 4% of cars sold in the US are diesel. I mean its no secret that I'm no fan of hybrids, but even I don't know why Honda are doing this, other than it leaves me wondering are Honda serious about hybrids at all.

I know that they are planning a lot of new Hybrids(they say they only think they are any good for small cars), there will be 3 more Hybrid Hondas on offer before 2010 for the Brits(and therefore us), but I just don't know what to make of a company making hybrids and boasting about them so much that they feel the need to stick with the "smelly and dirty" diesel for not only Europe but now the US as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

JHMEG, I'm looking for various parts at the moment but I also want to gather good resources for any parts I might need in the future. I also often get parts from the manufacturer's parts dept, because often they can be the best place for ease of sourcing, quick availability of the part, and sometimes they can be the cheapest too. A lot of people assume the manufacturer's parts dept will be the dearest and don't even think of checking with them before going elsewhere.

However, I have found that the Honda parts depts I have tried are very difficult to deal with and will not speak with you unless you supply them with a chassis number. They're not interested in finding you "a temperature sensor for a 1991 Honda CRX" for example. They won't even listen to you without a chassis number.

The other aspect for me is that when a part is in need of replacement, I like to take the opportunity to upgrade that part where possible. So I am also looking for good sources of aftermarket Honda parts. Vtec, I have had a look at www.Icetronix.com's website there. I will give them a call and see if they can help me. The website doesn't really seem geared up for online sales.

I'm not really interested in US sites as there are variances in cars they got over there, and some of the engine codes go by different names there too, but mostly because the cost and time factors involved in ordering parts from the states I think would be too much. I'd much prefer to have a reliable and quality source of aftermarket parts locally. I often end up buying parts from UK websites, but would prefer to spend the money here if possible.

BTW, why is www.hondadublin.com offline? It says on the site temporary technical difficulties, but is there more to it than that? Kceire, what does the DT in www.dtdirl.com stand for? Is this sort of a boy racer site? I was hoping there would be a "non boy racer" Honda forum if that's not a contradiction in terms! :) Ah, you know what I mean though - an enthusiasts site for people who are into their cars and knowledgeable about them and also have a fairly sensible attitude.

I'm surprised there aren't more Honda forums here in Ireland considering their popularity. Even this thread seems to have quickly degenerated into a discussion about diesel Honda engines! :p What are the good UK Honda forums?

One particular part that you may be able to help me with is exhaust related. Anyone know any good sites for aftermarket exhaust systems? I have just bought a manifold and downpipe from www.supersprint.com but they no longer supply the centre section for my model. As I say, I'm interested in the long term and compiling a list of good sources for parts but if anyone here knows of any good aftermarket exhaust websites on this side of the atlantic this could be a great help.

IrishRover, are you looking for parts for a Honda or parts for your Rover?

The dealers usually want the chassis number, that's true, but that's because parts are continually revised, and the part for a '91 CRX might be different from a '90 CRX. My old Integra model for example was face lifted in May '91 and a whole lot of stuff changed, even the steering wheel!

Quite often if you are looking for upgrade parts I find that if I get the original part number and google it I'll get a lot of "replacement for..." type results.

@E92: Shame on you for using this thread push your anti-hybrid agenda again!:p

Yes, it's Honda parts for Rover cars. I didn't really want to complicate the issue by mentioning Rover, but yeah I have two 216GTis which have the same engine (the D16A9) as the DOHC CRX or Civic GTi or Concerto 1.6 i16 from around '89 to '91. In fact the engine in one was replaced with a second hand engine taken directly from a CRX before I bought it.

There are some parts for my cars that are NLA from Rover so I would like to start building a good list of contacts for Honda parts.

Probably your best place for 2nd hand stuff is breakers yards. That one out by Kilcock has a good selection of stuff, altho the CRXes and Civics of that era are getting scarce, as are ZC/D16A9s (ever consider an upgrade to a B16A? You wouldn't regret it;))

I'm looking for sources for new parts and aftermarket and upgraded parts though really. Surely there must be loads of resources for Honda owners to get parts from?

I have considered an engine swap for a B16A1 but it's not straightforward. Custom engine mounts need to be made and possibly some modification to the driveshafts is required too. The D16A9 is still a cracking engine and although I have other cars with more horsepower I still really enjoy this engine and the "chuckability" of the GTis. Maybe at some point in the future I might look again at a D to B swap but not for the moment anyway.

IrishRover wrote: »
    Surely there must be loads of resources for Honda owners to get parts from?
    There are, but having the original part no. to google for really helps.
    I have considered an engine swap for a B16A1 but it's not straightforward. Custom engine mounts need to be made and possibly some modification to the driveshafts is required too.
    If the cars have the same track then drive shafts should be ok. My major problem with this would be the wiring loom, but if I got my hands on a B16A at a good price I'd give it a shot. Especially the B16A from the post May 91 Integra XSi and Civic SiR. 170bhp and a torsen LSD. Nice!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

JSpeed.net was my site - I completely lost interest in Hondas, as did the other admins who were looking after it for me, so it died down. Pulled the plug over a year ago and just run the BMW site now. Few people went over to HondaDublin, but I regularly checked it out and it never seemed to have much traffic either.

Honda Revolutions is a good forum - www.hondarevolutions.com

I'm amazed that the forums died due to lack of interest. I would have thought there would be lots of traffic in Ireland for Honda forums.
    I'm surprised as well that there doesn't seem to be a great wealth of resources for aftermarket Honda parts.

Does no one have any recommendations for websites specifically for aftermarket and upgrade parts for Hondas? Any for exhaust parts?

• Advertisement

I'm amazed that the forums died due to lack of interest. I would have thought there would be lots of traffic in Ireland for Honda forums.

I can't say I'm surprised, I don't see a lot of Hondas around the place, when I do, too often they are either JDM Hondas and/or modified.

That certainly hasn't done them any favours(though I know it is completely outside of Honda Irelands control).

I mean people are saying nowadays on boards not to buy a car because its popular with the modified car crew, as if to say that a car suddenly becomes rubbish when it becomes a popular car to modify.

Its not something I agree with, but I know its a reality.

It's because of the amount of JDM and modified Hondas that I expected there'd be plenty of places in Ireland that do aftermarket and upgrade parts for them.

It's funny that on the one hand Honda has the rep for being driven by elderly people and on the other hand for boy racers. The negative image associated with them does put me off them alright.

The negative image associated with them does put me off them alright.
    Image is like badge.. it's the car behind them that actually matters. Why should what other people think have any bearing on what car one choses to drive?

The only exception to the above is the Glanza:D

@E92: Shame on you for using this thread push your anti-hybrid agenda again!:p

I notice you've no shame in promoting your anti diesel agenda via the link in your sig either:p

The only exception to the above is the Glanza:D
    Ah well you know the kind of thing I'm talking about anyway.

Here's an example of the kind of aftermarket parts sites I am looking for:
    http://www.eurostyling.com/ (I have ordered a manifold from these guys)
    http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/ (These have multiple delivery options to Ireland)
    http://www.bansheemotorsport.co.uk/ (Haven't bought from these yet but they come well recommended)
    http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/ (These say on their site that they only deliver to UK although I have bought a Mongoose system from them before. Can't remember now if I arranged my own delivery or not at the time)
    Anyone got any others that they can personally recommend?

Can anyone recommend any custom exhaust builders in Dublin or the east coast?

E92 wrote: »
    I notice you've no shame in promoting your anti diesel agenda via the link in your sig either:p
    Yup, you're right.;) When all diesels are as clean burning as petrols, and don't seriously irritate the lining of my nose like the current crop do, I'll gladly accept them.. hell I might even buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Is Honda Dublin gone for good?

"Due to unforseen technical problems with the forum platform, the HD web services have been taken off-line and will not be available until further notice.

We are working hard to keep the downtime as short as possible and thank you for your understanding.

All registered user will be automatically notified."

its been like that far a ages., was a pretty good site and all.,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Yeah. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

HondaDublin will be back, hopefully, they've had a lot of problems with attacks on the site due to security holes in the forum software version.

IrishRover, there is a very well-regarded custom exhaust builder in Belfast (i think they do SuperSprint systems), if you check the forums on cr-x.org, you'll find them mentioned.

Advertisement