Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daisy Chaining Switches

Options
  • 27-10-2007 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Hi

I currently have a single 1Gb switch connected to all the network equipment and our ISP router.

Moving offices has created a bit of a cabling mess (we don't have raised floors or access to proper conduit - its a serviced office).

Do you see any issues with the following topology (am not a super clued in networking person) given that most traffic flows is from PCs to the Router.

Router <---> Switch #1
    Switch #1 <---> Server #1
    Switch #1 <---> Server #2
    Switch #1 <---> Printer

Switch #1 <---> Switch #2

Switch #2 <---> PC 1
    Switch #2 <---> PC 2
    Switch #2 <---> PC ...
    Switch #2 <---> PC N

Any advice appreciated, all on are same network segment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Looks fine, any reason for not simply putting everything on a single switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Just the mess with the cables - if I could find a place that had proper conduit (I am in Malaysia!) I would leave it as a single switch .... with this setup I can run one cable between the server/router room and to the second switch in the office area rather than a load of cables ...

I am just considering the options - conduit would be the cheaper and easier way to do it!

Thanks BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

what type of routers and switches are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You could also consider wireless - might make your life a lot simpler?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Do you see any issues with the following topology (am not a super clued in networking person) given that most traffic flows is from PCs to the Router.
    Most traffic would actually flow from servers to PCs and from PCs/servers to printer when you think about it. You might spend more time on the Internet but that's mainly kilobytes as opposed to megabytes on servers.

That said, with a 1Gb full duplex uplink between switches you won't have any trouble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement