Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP needed

• 27-10-2007 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can buy an original version of XP pro? I'm getting a new laptop and I'll be downgrading the Vista experience straight out of the box. It doesn't seem to be stocked anywhere in the usual places any more. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Thanks lads, thats the ticket. Eh well one reason to start with is Vista has a 6gb footprint spread over three partitions, XP has only one 1.5gb. I wouldn't be that concerned about that, really, but I've had a little experience with vista and I found it quite frustrating. One task I was trying to do on someone elses computer was open notepad: couldn't find it.

Also I've heard a lot of bad reports about it from even die-hard MS enthusiasts, which is usually a bad sign, and there is no doubt it eats up resources it really shouldn't. The OS sits between me applications and me hardware - thats all I want from it.

If I could I'd even go back to 2k, but the laptop is brand new, and drivers would be impossible to find (its a Dell XPS m1330).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Put on 95, it will rocket along :D

Seriously though... Vista is grand. Much better than XP. Sure its a resourse hog but if you have 2gb or more of ram you are grand.
    I bet when XP came out you were the same as you are with Vista....
    As for 2k, if you have XP drivers then you can use 2k.. there are very few drivers out there that only work on XP. WDM drivers work on any WDM OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

you'll usually find it sold on ebay

and dos ftw

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    Put on 95, it will rocket along :D

Seriously though... Vista is grand. Much better than XP. Sure its a resourse hog but if you have 2gb or more of ram you are grand.
    I bet when XP came out you were the same as you are with Vista....
    Well in fairness when even your fanbois are mostly silent, theres something not right. I was in fact just looking up reviews of that laptop when I came across a site dedicated to it, with an entire section on downgrading to XP. Indeed.
    Saruman wrote: »
    As for 2k, if you have XP drivers then you can use 2k.. there are very few drivers out there that only work on XP. WDM drivers work on any WDM OS.
    When one is putting down three grand on a laptop, one dicks with it as little as possible. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

. One task I was trying to do on someone elses computer was open notepad: couldn't find it.

perhaps you shouldn't use computers thens :P

only kidding but yeah why didn't you use live search on vista

click start button > type "notepad" > press enter! (even just "No" finds it)
    or click start button > all programs > accessories > Notepad!

Edit - i looked at the link there and ti says

"I was wanted my older Windows XP back, because I was tired of not working software titles that I used every day that did not install on Vista. And I was not in the mood of upgrading them either."

A) i have yet to have a problem with a software title that wont run on vista can someone name a few for me ( i know they are a few just curious what they are)

B) i was not in the mood to upgrade - Thats doesnt even deserve a response

perhaps you shouldn't use computers thens :P
    Oh how jolly, a sarcastic, illiterate fanboi who posts on the internet. You must be a whizz with the ladies.
    only kidding but yeah why didn't you use live search on vista

click start button > type "notepad" > press enter! (even just "No" finds it)
    or click start button > all programs > accessories > Notepad!
    Having been using computers for lets see, over two decades, and dealing with them daily on every level from typing things in word to machine code tweaking on multi-platform software, would you mind telling me why in the christ I would have the time or inclination to learn how to use a brand new OS and a new way of doing things to the one that has been relatively consistent over the last ten or so years, just because those boobs in MS managed to force out another bloated, unneccessary profit vehicle from their development sphincter? And badly as well. Even MS themselves admit its a piece of shit.
    Edit - i looked at the link there and ti says

"I was wanted my older Windows XP back, because I was tired of not working software titles that I used every day that did not install on Vista. And I was not in the mood of upgrading them either."

A) i have yet to have a problem with a software title that wont run on vista can someone name a few for me ( i know they are a few just curious what they are)

B) i was not in the mood to upgrade - Thats doesnt even deserve a response
    Really. Take it up with the author so, like a good man, or possibly someone who cares. I just thought it was funny that I was looking up reviews of the thing, and I find instructions on how to get rid of vista all over the shop.

somebody sounds like an microsoft xp fanboi

what worse than an microsoft xp fanboi, a microsoft xp fanboi who needs an online guide to install microsoft xp ;)

you really should get a mac or install linux if microsoft software bugs you so much, honestly lifes too short

fair enough is vista rubs you up the wrong way, i have issues with it myself

but maybe you could just create a shortcut on your desktop for notepad instead of paying a company that bugs you so much for a second os

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

eolhc wrote: »
    somebody sounds like an microsoft xp fanboi
    In fairness you can make it look like windows 2000.
    Also windows server 2003 uses the windows 2000 interface, not the luna one ( fisher price ) in XP

I too have issues with the Vista interface, and having used windows since 3.1 and fed up with the way things keep moving around and getting renamed. But microsoft control the EULA and can get you to jump though hoops if they wanted. All you can do is use what exemptions they allow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ladies , put the handbags down, slowly :D

Oh how jolly, a sarcastic, illiterate fanboi who posts on the internet. You must be a whizz with the ladies.

I'm illiterate because I made a few typos? Alert the media! oh god what ever will I do! I do love people like you on a forum.
    Having been using computers for lets see, over two decades, and dealing with them daily on every level from typing things in word to machine code tweaking on multi-platform software,

still you must not be very good at using them seen you couldn't find notepad :P
    would you mind telling me why in the christ I would have the time or inclination to learn how to use a brand new OS and a new way of doing things to the one that has been relatively consistent over the last ten or so years

Sounds like your afraid of change.... poor you. If you were so great AFTER 2 decades of near daily work on computers learning a new os wouldn't be that hard
    Really. Take it up with the author so, like a good man, or possibly someone who cares. I just thought it was funny that I was looking up reviews of the thing, and I find instructions on how to get rid of vista all over the shop.

Its the internet you can find anything you want! Of course there is loads about vista it was hyped up to be the best thing ever and then wasn't. Big deal, get over it or learn to use it (you can always put on ur CV "can find notepad in Vista")

yeah sorry, seems a bit stupid calling somebody a fanboy for using a different version of the operating system you use yourself

you can always change both the theme and start bar back to the classic style if you'd prefer something more like windows 2000/xp
    http://www.liewcf.com/blog/archives/2007/02/make-windows-vista-look-like-xp/

somebody sounds like an microsoft xp fanboi... yeah sorry, seems a bit stupid calling somebody a fanboy for using a different version of the operating system you use yourself
    I'm somebody that needs to use computers for specific tasks. One OS fits the bill, the other isn't worth the hassle. Where in all of this did you manage to find "fanboi"?
    you really should get a mac or install linux if microsoft software bugs you so much, honestly lifes too short
    Who said I was anti-MS software? They make some excellent office applications for example. Vista, however, is a bit of a farce.
    but maybe you could just create a shortcut on your desktop for notepad instead of paying a company that bugs you so much for a second os
    Woah, another master of sarcasm. Why are you here instead of servicing your hareem?
    I'm illiterate because I made a few typos? Alert the media! oh god what ever will I do! I do love people like you on a forum.
    I'm glad to hear it. Doesn't vista have a spellchecker?
    still you must not be very good at using them seen you couldn't find notepad :P
    The time I'm prepared to invest in something is proportionate to its value to me. If it takes too long, I go elsewhere. Take for example this conversation; its worth the three minutes it takes to respond to the herd because of the minimal amusement it affords me.
    Sounds like your afraid of change.... poor you. If you were so great AFTER 2 decades of near daily work on computers learning a new os wouldn't be that hard
    First off, if by "change", you mean "bothering to learn the latest cash cow rolled out (late and broken) by MS that adds very little significant functionality", you'd be right. Something you learn after two decades of doing things with computers is that your time is more valuable than their money. You might get it someday.
    Its the internet you can find anything you want! Of course there is loads about vista it was hyped up to be the best thing ever and then wasn't. Big deal, get over it or learn to use it (you can always put on ur CV "can find notepad in Vista")
    Aha, more sarcasm. Your post definetely reads better when I do a comic book guy voiceover.

I'm somebody that needs to use computers for specific tasks. One OS fits the bill, the other isn't worth the hassle.
    Enlighten us, what do you use computers for?

I'm glad to hear it. Doesn't vista have a spellchecker?
    Dunno I am using Xp :P
    The time I'm prepared to invest in something is proportionate to its value to me. If it takes too long, I go elsewhere. Take for example this conversation; its worth the three minutes it takes to respond to the herd because of the minimal amusement it affords me.
    Aw thats cute We (the herd) mean something to him
    First off, if by "change", you mean "bothering to learn the latest cash cow rolled out (late and broken) by MS that adds very little significant functionality", you'd be right. Something you learn after two decades of doing things with computers is that your time is more valuable than their money. You might get it someday.
    you just sound lazy :)
    Aha, more sarcasm. Your post definetely reads better when I do a comic book guy voiceover.

Oh how jolly, a sarcastic, illiterate fanboi who posts on the internet and reads post in the voice of comic book guy. You must be a whizz with the ladies. (I believe its definitely Not definetely by the way)

Closed , going way off topic and it was that or the banning stick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement