Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[C++]Compile but Crashing

Options
  • 27-10-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

My sister is currently working on a project and shes having a bit of diffuclty so I was wondering if ye could help.

Shes writting an ogre(?) programme in Visual studio 8 and whats to duplicate her project so incase she messes up one she has the other one, however even though the first one compiles and runs without problems the second causes problems. It complies with no errors but crashes. Its not loading the entity.

Now, both scripts are the EXACT same (copy and paste job) and all the mesh files have been copied into the new folder too but the second one crashes. Any thoughts on why?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

don't know much about visual studio 8 (haven't used it in years) but there could be references in the mesh files and in other files to the original directory. You might have to go through the text of the files to replace all occurrences of the original directory with the new dir?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Just copy the entire soultion to another folder as backup. When its reopened, it should readjust the links

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

That could be anything really, but possibly something like missing art failing to load, resulting in a bad pointer that's being dereferenced. Tell her to run it through the debugger, that will give her an idea of exactly where it's crashing and so what the problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sremowt

I'm not certain if copying the whole folder is necessarily the best idea ... why not just copy the source files and build it from there? Or rather than building the backup just store the source files. I'm assuming she only wants the backup against making mistakes and ruining the project. You don't need the whole project to do that. Only the source files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

You do if you want to keep additional include directories, link libraries, build configurations, optimization settings, etc etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Don't know anything about ogre (some kind of 3d library ?), but most VS projects can just be copied and pasted. Make sure though when doing it that the project is closed, I've done it before with an open project and something in one of the config files must have gotten screwed up because I could never get it to run.

Advertisement