Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is with the agression ?

• 27-10-2007 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed that all over boards there has been a real polarisation
    seem sthat about 4 people see the new arrangmants re provisional drivers as both a good move but a very quick move
    personally i'd like if these changes were more like
    if you have a 2nd license then you get to keep it for its duration then onto the learner permit
    but thats not the point i'm making here its the anger and the unsympathetic approach that those not affectd seem to have towards those affected
    is this the new ireland a place of one-upmanship anger and bitter comments

or has it always been this way and the internex allows its vocalisation

are we angrier than before 40 votes

yup;iz the modern living like
    0% 0 votes
    nope you just see it now with the internerd
    57% 23 votes
    atari jaguar
    42% 17 votes

Comments

There's another huge thread on this already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

There's another huge thread on this already!

on the anger in moders soceity
    or on driving licenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

New money.
    It turns people into arseholes.

Terry wrote: »
    New money.
    It turns people into arseholes.

i love the parker quote on that
    "if you want to see what God thinks of money look at who he gave it to"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

i suppose the concept of a learner permit is so much better and safer and the irish system is so badly organised that people are glad that at last the RSA are doing somethign about it.

I guess they also need to do somethign for those stuck in between who have a 2nd provisional and are used to driving on their own. Maybe give them all prioritised tests - which of course the RSA havent a plan in place for given they knew about this for a long time.

I might go out now and start up a driving school .... best time to do this ....
    Did you know I dont need any qualifications for this either at the present time.... better get in there before they change the rules there also. (thats coming up soon too)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Or maybe it's a preception problem. Using your example: I am "unsympathetic" but also affected.

http://xkcd.com/202/: It speaks the truth. The only thing that comes close are Amazon reviews.

All over the world, through the ageless mists of eternity, cars inspire arrogance in the masses.
    Simple as.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    All over the world, through the ageless mists of eternity, cars inspire arrogance in the masses.
    Simple as.

thats a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yeh it's been a bit mental alright... I'm one of the affected, I'm both sympathetic and unsympathetic - dependent on the case involved.
    But some people are really getting on their high horses / bitchy.

TBH fair play to the Mods on keeping an eye on the uber influx of threads/posts relating to this alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

This pretty much sums it up:

The Internet Dickwad Theory

http://www.penny-arcade.com/docs/internetdickwad.jpg

taconnol wrote: »
    This pretty much sums it up:

The Internet Dickwad Theory

http://www.penny-arcade.com/docs/internetdickwad.jpg

i see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Couldn't agree more. People behave like spoilt children as the norm. Graceful manners have become unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Simple as.

QFT.

Tell the any person, no matter how level, they're a bad driver - Kaboom.
    No one admits to it, everyone thinks they're the best.

On Topic.

It does seem life, and boards are polarised more these days -

If it doesn't affect me - WTF should I care
    &
    This affects me, why don't you agree with me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

How dare you insult my car!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's very easy to be unsympathetic when you're not affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

I'm utterly astounded at the amount of aggression shown towards people since this new law was announced. Where's the friendliness of the Irish people that we are known for?

Okay, there are a lot of people who have not bothered applying for their tests, but this was because they were allowed to do that by our successive governments, these are the people that rule our land and give direction to our law enforcement to implement the laws. They were too busy with their 'brown envelopes' to bother with the country.

But remember there were also people who applied for their tests and could not get to do them because of the waiting period. That is not their fault and I fail to see why these people are not getting sympathy for a situation which is not of their own making.

Why does it seem to be a case of, "I'm all right Jack". Why can't people step into someone's shoes for a day that would be affected by this new law, talk to someone in pm and try to get an understanding of what would happen if they depend on their car/van whatever to get them to work/college/schools, try to understand the hardships they would have to suffer by not being able to get to their destination, try to understand that there is not public transport to every town in Ireland.

I do agree with the new laws that are being brought in, no matter what people say about boy/girl-racers, (sorry young people) it is mostly young people that are being killed on our roads, it's about time something was done to try to stop this so therefore if this helps - fantastic. If it saves young lives and stops the agony families go through, that will be a blessing

The young people do not realise what could happen to them, they think they are invincible. We were all young once, quite a lot of people here still are, but I do remember being young and I do remember thinking nothing would ever happen to me and yes we drove fast as well in those days but there probably wasn't as much power in the cars, something like that I guess as I'm not well up on cars, therefore hopefully these laws will make them drive more sensibly if they realise that they will be implemented properly.

Remember it is not the new laws that people are complaining about, it is the time frame in which it was brought in that bothered everyone.

If down the road, or in June 2008, people haven't taken their test, because they can't be bothered, (subject to waiting lists going down of course) then yes I would have no sympathy for them whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I have a degree of sympathy for the expedience with which the law was brought in & the test queues which will inevitably grow after this announcement are completely unworkable when you have allowed people to take up jobs that involve long commutes & have no public transport infrastructure to speak of...

However, we are talking about people getting into 4ton lethal weapons & just driving off - some without any professional guidance whatsoever & many of whom have been happy to play at dodgems for many years without seeking to get any legal qualifications. People who fail their test & are deemed unfit to drive on the roads, merrily get back into their cars & drive home again & have no conscience about doing so - because it's a law that isn't enforced.

So when the government decides to enforce the law & begin at the most basic level to improve road safety - we will hopefully see the end of ridiculous scenarios of license amnesties & failed drivers driving home from the test, or people being able to drive on the roads without any formal training or even a helping hand in the car, I don't see a lot of credence for some of the justifications going on.

I understand that the government have been lax in allowing this madness to continue for as long as it has but ultimately we are all responsible for ourselves & each other - and we should make sure we are legally fit to drive these big hunks of metal at speed, not just declaring ourselves self-certified. People must see how ridiculous a situation it is & how little the police can do about cracking down on drunk drivers or bad driving when they can't enforce the most basic rules of the road.

I do, however, get annoyed when I hear people bleating about what a fab driver they are for driving for years on a provisional - or the finger pointing that it's everyone else's fault that people have been driving for years on provisionals - what happened to personal responsibility? There is no way on earth I would endanger my passengers, other road users, or my own life by considering myself a capable driver & just drive around oblivious to the responsibility I have for passing formal qualification asap. I'm entitled to think whatever I like about those that do. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OP, it took me an awful long time to figure out what the fúck you were on about tbh - can you not punctuate properly next time, please?

On topic, Ireland's Celtic Tiger seems to have made a lot of us all arrogant arsehóles - I think our collective expectations have risen and the quality of government has gone down - leading to all the resentment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

OP, I totally agree...Irish people, well known for their sense of humour have now become a bunch of moany grumpy down faces. Try cracking a joke in here and they take your head off!! My God! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It's true. People these days are *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    OP, I totally agree...Irish people, well known for their sense of humour have now become a bunch of moany grumpy down faces. Try cracking a joke in here and they take your head off!! My God! :)

Wait till the "Celtic Tiger" economy careers in the oncoming brick wall..

Then people will really have something to moan about :)

I'm utterly astounded at the amount of aggression shown towards people since this new law was announced. Where's the friendliness of the Irish people that we are known for?

Okay, there are a lot of people who have not bothered applying for their tests, but this was because they were allowed to do that by our successive governments, these are the people that rule our land and give direction to our law enforcement to implement the laws. They were too busy with their 'brown envelopes' to bother with the country.

But remember there were also people who applied for their tests and could not get to do them because of the waiting period. That is not their fault and I fail to see why these people are not getting sympathy for a situation which is not of their own making.

Why does it seem to be a case of, "I'm all right Jack". Why can't people step into someone's shoes for a day that would be affected by this new law, talk to someone in pm and try to get an understanding of what would happen if they depend on their car/van whatever to get them to work/college/schools, try to understand the hardships they would have to suffer by not being able to get to their destination, try to understand that there is not public transport to every town in Ireland.

I do agree with the new laws that are being brought in, no matter what people say about boy/girl-racers, (sorry young people) it is mostly young people that are being killed on our roads, it's about time something was done to try to stop this so therefore if this helps - fantastic. If it saves young lives and stops the agony families go through, that will be a blessing

The young people do not realise what could happen to them, they think they are invincible. We were all young once, quite a lot of people here still are, but I do remember being young and I do remember thinking nothing would ever happen to me and yes we drove fast as well in those days but there probably wasn't as much power in the cars, something like that I guess as I'm not well up on cars, therefore hopefully these laws will make them drive more sensibly if they realise that they will be implemented properly.

Remember it is not the new laws that people are complaining about, it is the time frame in which it was brought in that bothered everyone.

If down the road, or in June 2008, people haven't taken their test, because they can't be bothered, (subject to waiting lists going down of course) then yes I would have no sympathy for them whatsoever.

this is an old school post
    before forums got bitchey
    its nice to see

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    OP, it took me an awful long time to figure out what the fúck you were on about tbh - can you not punctuate properly next time, please?

snip

i'll try.,:
    in return can you try to talk to me without the use of un-nessiciary profanities.-,

Advertisement