Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice - low milage or extras

• 27-10-2007 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi all,

what do u would think would be best option. i am faced with a bit of a dilemma.

for the exact same price i can get the below two cars

1. 2005 base model focus 20k on clock
    2. 2005 zetac model focus with a/c,sports suspension,sports seats, fogs etc but with 40k on clock.

what do u think would be best option?, advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

I'd go for the 20k option myself... less wear and tear on the car! 40k is a fair bit over average for a 2 year old car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I would go for the higher spec'd car as long as it's been serviced when it's scheduled to.

A higher spec'd car will be easier to sell on as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

40k is relatively little. I'd go for it, or hunt around for another one with lower milage of same spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I would also go for the higher spec option
    40K is nothing on an engine and you will get far more enjoyment and satisfaction out of the extra kick in the engine, a/c, suspension etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

also depends on how much mileage you'll put onto it while you have it.

Once a car gets near the "magical" 100k mark it becomes pretty much worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Do you think that magic rule about the 100k still applies to cars after 2004 with speedos & clocks in kilometres??

Are the 20k & 40k quoted kms or miles?
    I would go with the higher spec, go to any Ford dealer & they have rows & rows of 2nd hand Focus & Fiestas. You almost have the choice of colour as if you were buying new!! Therefore you need to ensure that when it comes time to sell yours you need something to set yours above the rest, spec is the obvious way to do it.
    Onc ethe car has received the necessary servicing & maintenance in my opinion the wear & tear differnce between 20k & 40k woudl be minimal.
    What's your annual mileage, above average/below average? If you are below average then over the period of your ownership the additonal initial mileage on the car woudl be averaged out over your ownership. So at sale time the chances are you will have the same mileage as all the lower speoc ones.
    That's my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd go for the higher spec one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

Do you think that magic rule about the 100k still applies to cars after 2004 with speedos & clocks in kilometres??

Are the 20k & 40k quoted kms or miles?
    I would go with the higher spec, go to any Ford dealer & they have rows & rows of 2nd hand Focus & Fiestas. You almost have the choice of colour as if you were buying new!! Therefore you need to ensure that when it comes time to sell yours you need something to set yours above the rest, spec is the obvious way to do it.
    Onc ethe car has received the necessary servicing & maintenance in my opinion the wear & tear differnce between 20k & 40k woudl be minimal.
    What's your annual mileage, above average/below average? If you are below average then over the period of your ownership the additonal initial mileage on the car woudl be averaged out over your ownership. So at sale time the chances are you will have the same mileage as all the lower speoc ones.
    That's my opinion.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the advice!

Its a second car which my wife will be using , dropping kid of at minder and going to work etc and will probably be doing approx 12k a year. Its a tough call. Ill think ill go for the higher spec to be honest as it will be fully serviced and valeted etc & 1 yr warranty.

Many thanks for all the comments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Def higher spec. 40k is 25mls which is about probably below average milleage when you consider the time of the year it is. ( as long as the clock is klms)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

Def higher spec. 40k is 25mls which is about probably below average milleage when you consider the time of the year it is. ( as long as the clock is klms)

its actually 40k miles which is 64k kilometres!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

40k miles is still relatively little. If your wife does the average (9k miles a year according to the NCT) it'll take her over 6 years to get to the magic 100k miles.

Is the car an import? I thought all clocks changed to km in 2005?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,467 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

we started seeing km's on cars coming in from Autumn 04.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,267 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

sicruise wrote: »
    I'd go for the 20k option myself... less wear and tear on the car! 40k is a fair bit over average for a 2 year old car.

How are you sure of this? The odometer is not an 100% accurate reading of wear and tear. That car with 20k miles might have been driven by a little old lady grinding gears all the way to the shops and never serviced.

To the OP, judge each car on condition and service history, not just what the odometer reads. If both cars are genuine I would tend to go with the Zetec, it has more creature comforts and will be that bit easier to sell on.

Also Focus Zetecs and Ghia models do not last long on dealer forecouts compared with LX models. I just bought a 05 Focus Ghia TDCi myself and was doing a bit of hunting for the right car for sometime, I have seen countless used LX models sitting on forecouts but nearly every time I went to see a Ghia or Zetec they were sold. People want higher spec cars nowadays.

Advertisement