Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone can become a drivign instructior - thats mad.

• 27-10-2007 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

We are all complaining about the current learner driving situation and I was thinking what a boom for driving instructors especially now with pupils having to show poof of at least 10 lessons.

I could open up a school meself for some extra weekend money. Isnt it still a case that anyone can open a drivign school without any set test or exam. I mean isn t that just a bit crazy. I know the RSA are talking about a register and an exam for instructors like in the UK but has this been delayed again???

I learned to drive this year, I had two different instructors (5 lessons when I bought a car and 5 before the test) and sometimes the advice I got from both was a little contradictory.

Its ridiculous that anyone can open a driving school and charge 40 euro an hour with no qualification. (Theres a school in Galway where the instructors are qualified in the UK qualification)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

That is just mad.
    I have heard in the past of instructors giving opposite advice to learners (can't remember anything at the moment).
    So what is stopping you Cazzy?

I guess people have to be careful. Best bit of advertising is word of mouth - go to a school thats someone else found to be good and helpful.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

thread moved at OPs request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

No sir, that is not mad. That's Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It is mad.
    I failed my first driving test - my first instructor thought I was a great driver.

My second one couldn't believe the stuff the first one thought me and spent a lot of time teaching best practice (i.e. correcting stuff the first one taught me).

I passed second time easily.

A good instructor is worth their weight in gold (and is the difference between pass and fail - and if you want to know a good instructor in north Dublin PM me).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

cazzy wrote: »
    We are all complaining about the current learner driving situation and I was thinking what a boom for driving instructors especially now with pupils having to show poof of at least 10 lessons.

I could open up a school meself for some extra weekend money. Isnt it still a case that anyone can open a drivign school without any set test or exam. I mean isn t that just a bit crazy. I know the RSA are talking about a register and an exam for instructors like in the UK but has this been delayed again???

I learned to drive this year, I had two different instructors (5 lessons when I bought a car and 5 before the test) and sometimes the advice I got from both was a little contradictory.

Its ridiculous that anyone can open a driving school and charge 40 euro an hour with no qualification. (Theres a school in Galway where the instructors are qualified in the UK qualification)

Dont you need to have held a full licence for the last 2 years before you can assist someone as a competent trainer ? Isnt this all the debackle at the moment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Care to post some links to this information or did you here this from somebody who heard it from somebody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

DonJose wrote: »
    Care to post some links to this information or did you here this from somebody who heard it from somebody.

there is no link because there is no rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

especially now with pupils having to show poof of at least 10 lessons.
    )

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

When the hell did this come in?

First no driving without a fully licensed sober driver of two years
    Next learner bikers must drive with big L plates stuck to their torso
    Now they insist one goes and gives money for a commercial organisation to show how to drive? Madness.

Does a not-qualified driver giving instruction count? I taught myself how to drive :p:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Here you don't even need a driving license do you ?

Though from Tuesday you would need a third person in the car who has a license to keep it all legit. That person could be deaf and mute though.

Across the boarder you need to have passed an instructors exam to take cash for lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭in_da_club

crazy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Here you don't even need a driving license do you ?

Though from Tuesday you would need a third person in the car who has a license to keep it all legit. That person could be deaf and mute though.

For information here in France it's :

You need to take 20 lessons from a qualified person that has passed an exam that proves that not only can they drive (the easy bit) but also that they are capable of teaching someone else how to.

You take your test after 20 and if you fail you need to go back for more.

There is no other license than the full license. Having a friend/mother/father showing you how to drive before you take the test isn't an option.

Lose 6 points (I think) on your test and you need to resit a written exam, moe points lost and it's the full exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In fact up until recently you wouldn't technically need a driving license to be an instructor for someone on a second provisional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

robo wrote: »
    I guess people have to be careful. Best bit of advertising is word of mouth - go to a school thats someone else found to be good and helpful.
    Theres a website called www.lireland.com where you can rate and review instructors as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

When the hell did this come in?

First no driving without a fully licensed sober driver of two years
    Next learner bikers must drive with big L plates stuck to their torso
    Now they insist one goes and gives money for a commercial organisation to show how to drive? Madness.

Does a not-qualified driver giving instruction count? I taught myself how to drive :p:p

See the RSA Strategy 2007-2012 on RSA Website www.rsa.ie under publications. Page 88 onwards details their proposals around professional lessons and the restricted licence for 2 years after passing your test.
    Dont think its in the current implementation plans yet.
    (Its in acrobat reader so cant copy it)

It says that in the future learner drivers will be required to undertake a program of instruction by an approved driving instructor which would follow a set syllabus and lessons have to be detailed in a log book.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote: »
    Ta.

So those in the business can continue uncertified till the end of 2008

http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/ADI%20FORMS/Consultation%20ADI%20(FV).pdf
    From the 1 July 2007 a person wishing to become an instructor for the first time
    must undergo the registration process before s/he can commence practising as an
    instructor. This process will require a person to-
    Show that s/he is a person of good repute,
    Pass a test of knowledge of driving theory,
    Pass an extended driving test, and
    Pass a test of ability to deliver instruction.

But for those already offering lessons
    Temporary Permits - Transition Measures

The temporary permit is available to current driving instructors working in the industry up to 1st July 2007 who wish to be registered by the RSA as a temporary ADI. It will assist the industry and the RSA in managing an orderly transition to a regulated industry by 1st January 2009.

To be issued with a Temporary Permit an applicant must:

* Meet person of good repute criteria
    * Be tax compliant
    * Have been working in the driving instruction industry up to 1 July 2007

The Temporary Permit will not be renewed under any circumstances, you should apply to become a RSA ADI in good time, in order that the entire process is complete before 31st December 2008

is it worth putting this on a sticky somewhere
    List of Instructors with temporary permits
    Note: Temporary permit holders are those instructors who have met some basic requirements; however the RSA has not accessed or approved the standard of tuition being delivered by temporary permit holders. The process of accessing instructors is currently in place and once the instructors pass the necessary assessments they will be placed on a database of ADI full permit holders

Advertisement