Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playwrights getting paid

Options
  • 27-10-2007 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any information about how exactly do play-wrights get paid.

Is there some sort of performance fee when a theatre performs your play?

Anyone have any idea what exactly this is?

Any info much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Don't know the details, but groups wishing to put on a play usually pay performance rights to agents such as Samuel French (one of the bigger agencies, there are lots of others).

The agents AFAIK also check local papers etc to determine if any shows are being put on without rights having been paid.

You should ask Samuel French directly to find out what percentage etc you might get from the rights fee. (cost per night usually depends on whether am/pro, size of auditorium, cost of tickets etc. depending on agency.)

As a member of an amateur group I know we prefer a simple per night fee especially for festival productions where we don't know the ticket price, hall size etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thisispopbaby

If you don't have an agent, then you should negotiate a fee yourself. if its amateur then you would usually charge v little, but a professional production you'd get a fee and percentage of the box office.

i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭oclugg

For amatuer productions the standard rate is 80-90 euro per performance. Otherwise it's 10% of the box office if it's a professional run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Skriker

Get a Company to put your play on first, get reviews then get an agent. You won't make a lot of money unless it's performed heaps of times to loads of people - but you have to start somewhere!

Advertisement