Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Director of Football - yay or nay

• 27-10-2007 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Is this postion is most pointless and potentially destructive in football?

Whenever its been tried in a Prem club they've ended up in choppy waters becasuse of it. How can a manager be confident in his own postion if he does'nt have his hands on the tiller with respect of players bought and sold?

Does a manager or the board gain anything from having an intermediary to confuse matters?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote: »
    How can a manager be confident in his own postion
    I think this is where Prem clubs get it wrong.

There should be no manager if there is a DoF, it should be a Head Coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think it can definitly work if done right. Reading have a Director of Football and i am sure most people here couldnt name him and thats the way it should be. Th problem with alot of current DoF is that they are media whores, and thats where the problems begin.

the Dof will come out and say something that he hasnt mentioned to the manager and then the manager ends saying something that contradicts it and it all goes tits up. Also a DoF should never be allowed near a training ground etc etc unless he gets permission from the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

didnt harry redknapp have to ban Avram Grant from the training pitch when he was DoF at Portsmouth.

Personally I don't see the point unless you have a brilliant tactical manager who doesn't know his arse from his elbow in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think it can definitly work if done right. Reading have a Director of Football and i am sure most people here couldnt name him and thats the way it should be.

Is it that guy Nicky Hammond? He's always the guy they quote in stories related to the club and seems to do a very good job. Stays out of team affairs and takes some heat off Coppell. Used to play in goal for them too I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

managers are the best option

maybe this is me being old fashioned but I think its best that the one man gets to pick the players to buy and then coaches them himself!

• Advertisement
Advertisement