Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vrt on commercial vehicles

Options
  • 27-10-2007 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

just wondering can i import a jeep from uk, and convert to commercial to avoid vrt. ive been told vrt then is only about 50 euro or so.

ive read about people being caught who have reconverted back to standard car, but i axtually want a large boot for work purposes so have no probs. with this.....

info appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Pretty sure you can do this alright. But you must not put the seats back in unless you are willing to pay the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

ive been told vrt then is only about 50 euro or so.

info appreciated

I would look into this a bit futher before you buy, looking at the VRT website it is 13.5% VRT on commercial jeeps (CAT B Vehicles).

Also, you will need to make sure your conversion is done well, I have been at the VRT office and seen them go through a jeep/4x4 with a fine tooth comb. They would not let the guy register it as a commercial because they thought it was too easy to convert back to a pass vehicle (he was very p1ssed off and moaned like hell but they were having none of it).

You need to make sure all seat fittings, seat belts, door & window fittings are stripped out completely. The windows must be covered and the floor panneled properly.

I looked at doing the same as you and it worked out cheaper just to buy a commercial 4x4 in Ireland when you take in the cost of a professional conversion (unless you are handy enough to do this yourself) - but this of course depends on the year & model of jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There are lots of conditions, such as the passenger compartment must be separated from the cargo area by an immovable barrier, either welded or permanently fixed in place. There can be no opening between front and rear.

Research the topic on www.revenue.ie

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

esel wrote: »
    There are lots of conditions, such as the passenger compartment must be separated from the cargo area by an immovable barrier, either welded or permanently fixed in place. There can be no opening between front and rear.

I don't think that's quite true. Many of the commercial vehicles I've driven for work down the years had an open cargo area, including my VW Caddy, my Seat Inca, and my Fiat Scudo.

There doesn't seem to be any definitive regulation on revenue.ie on what actually makes a commercial vehicle qualify as such, and I asked the question here before if anyone knew the criteria, and received no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

As long as you leave it as a commercial (ie. keep the back seats out of it) then you can

The revenue are not stupid though, they have carried out spot checks on people who have done this and only this week there was an article in the independant about two lads in Dublin who were caught, one imported an X5 and the other a range rover, both re installed the rear seats after paying the revenue... vechicles were taken off them until they paid the proper VRT amount, which was over €20k each....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ned78 wrote: »
    I don't think that's quite true. Many of the commercial vehicles I've driven for work down the years had an open cargo area, including my VW Caddy, my Seat Inca, and my Fiat Scudo.

There doesn't seem to be any definitive regulation on revenue.ie on what actually makes a commercial vehicle qualify as such, and I asked the question here before if anyone knew the criteria, and received no answer.
    My mistake, sorry. The partition stuff refers to crew cabs and pickups. See http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/VRT%20Legislation%20Consolidation-Nov%202005%20Edition.pdf

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

....as does the 13.5% VRT rate

Advertisement