Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is NCT a legal requirement

Options
  • 27-10-2007 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Can I continue to drive my 2003 car legally without having an NCT carried out? What is the statutory basis of the NCT?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No. It's there to prove your car is safe and roadworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 malk33

The NCT is a compulsory requirement in all EU states as per EU directive. If you are stopped by Gardai you can be prosecuted for failing to have/display your NCT disc, same as for insurance or tax. There is also the question of whether your insurance company would stand by you in the event of an accident involving your vehicle without having past the NCT if it is determined that a fault on the vehicle contributed to the accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can be prosecuted though. The fine is €1500 AFAIR.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Thanks for the replies. I have some dents in the rear bodywork and i am having problems getting a second hand door for the car. If I can't get the body fixed before the test will it cause the car to fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

depends on how bad the damage is

Why not post a pic :)

If you know someone with the same car borrow the door for the day :D colour doest matter for the NCT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

joolsveer wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I have some dents in the rear bodywork and i am having problems getting a second hand door for the car. If I can't get the body fixed before the test will it cause the car to fail?

As far as i know dented bodywork shouldn't be a failure unless there are sharp edges, reduces the structural integrity of the car or unless it impedes the opening or closing of a door. The drivers window is the only one that is reqd to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

joolsveer wrote: »
    Can I continue to drive my 2003 car legally without having an NCT carried out? What is the statutory basis of the NCT?
    Some companies will not insure you if your car does not have NCT.
    I checked this with AA recently for a car I wanted to get temporary insurance just to bring for repairs and they said no way, not without NCT, go elsewhere.
    So you could also face the possibly more serious charge of driving without insurance.:eek:

Advertisement